Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Why is this?: "Although we must be in an industrial area by law, the second you step inside, you'll be embraced by an oasis of peace and relaxation. " Is that part of why no one but RB brews in center city?

To my knowledge that requirement was recently struck down. It may have still been true when Three Spirits started the process. 

Anyway, that facade looks pretty awesome. Kudos to them for doing something different.

Olde Mecklenburg is planning yet another expansion (investment is probably better term)... This time $2M worth for new bottling system and upgraded draft system.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/06/10/olde-mecklenburg-brewery-plans-2m-expansion.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Also, D9 Brewing is planning some limited bottle releases: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/06/11/d9-brewing-bottles-first-beer-limited-release.html?iana=ind_retail

Olde Mecklenburg is planning yet another expansion (investment is probably better term)... This time $2M worth for new bottling system and upgraded draft system.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/06/10/olde-mecklenburg-brewery-plans-2m-expansion.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Also, D9 Brewing is planning some limited bottle releases: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/06/11/d9-brewing-bottles-first-beer-limited-release.html?iana=ind_retail

Rumor has it they've purchased this warehouse next door.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.186418,-80.88245,3a,75y,346.29h,79.26t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sKN2eEnloVxs0EU7BD7BrDQ!2e0

Perhaps I'm confusing Olde Meck with someone else, but wasn't there talk that they would dabble in the distillery business? Would this maybe be related.. 

Grodney, you might want to add High Branch Brewing to the list. Looks like they've got a spot moving along in downtown Concord in the Gibson Mill.

Also side note, downtown concord is probably going to a hot-spot in the next decade. Its got solid bones.

Yes, downtown Concord will be great one day -- I completely agree. The only thing holding it back is access, it is a bear to get to thanks to all the surrounding sprawl. But Imagine what the metro could be if we had commuter rail connections to Concord and Salisbury to the east, Belmont to the West, Davidson (and maybe Mooresville) to the North and Rock Hill to the South. That would be a really nice array of satelitte urbanism to build around.

Back on topic, I wouldn't really say Gibson Mill is in dontown Concord, its a mile or two northwest on the other side of the tracks. It is a spectacular mill.

I would really like to see a brewery in the mill in Severeville that is currently in play, great building and in a part of town that could use a good taproom.

528 S Turner Ave, Charlotte, NC 28208

http://goo.gl/maps/0zGd3

Edited by kermit

Perhaps I'm confusing Olde Meck with someone else, but wasn't there talk that they would dabble in the distillery business? Would this maybe be related..

Yes, the OMB owner is behind the great wagon road distillery opening right across the street from their current location.

• Like 1

Yes, downtown Concord will be great one day -- I completely agree. The only thing holding it back is access, it is a bear to get to thanks to all the surrounding sprawl. But Imagine what the metro could be if we had commuter rail connections to Concord and Salisbury to the east, Belmont to the West, Davidson (and maybe Mooresville) to the North and Rock Hill to the South. That would be a really nice array of satelitte urbanism to build around.

Back on topic, I wouldn't really say Gibson Mill is in dontown Concord, its a mile or two northeast on the other side of the tracks. It is a spectacular mill.

I would really like to see a brewery in the mill in Severeville that is currently in play, great building and in a part of town that could use a good taproom.

528 S Turner Ave, Charlotte, NC 28208

http://goo.gl/maps/0zGd3

You are correct, it's not quite "downtown".  Though, I grew up on 73 in Concord and generally considered anything on the east side of 29 and west side of Branchview as "downtown", haha.  There's actually a nice stock of cool buildings on McGill right there too.  Almost stretches all the way to Spring and Buffalo.  But I digress.  Hopefully one day we will have the commuter rail to Concord.  It'd be perfect for the city.

I was just shopping at a Teeter on the coast about half way between Wilmington and Jacksonville (NC). Much to my surprise they had cans of Triple C IPA and Golden Boy. First time I have seen any Charlotte beer this far from home.

Hats off to Triple C's distribution crew.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard an interesting bit of information over beers at Birdsong the other day.  Brewery-in-planning Blue Blaze has trademarked the name 'White Blaze'.  This is a pretty hostile move considering Triple C has been brewing their Winter seasonal 'White Blaze' for years now.  Apparently, Blue Blaze has refused to back down despite having never even brewed the beer.  I'm not a trademark attorney, and I am really unsure what to make of the possible outcome here.  I hope Triple C comes out on top, though. For a brewery that has yet to even open their doors to take the name of one of our established breweries core seasonals is not only hostile but pretty arrogant.  Charlotte is still a small pond, after all.

Not sure they can win if Triple C was already distributing bottles of it before the trademark was filed. But Triple C also has to oppose it and there is nothing online that shows an opposition has been filed.

Edit: I tweeted the link to Triple C to see what they say about it. 

Edited by InSouthPark

"Be cocky" is the simplest way of putting it. They've retooled some since, not sure how they're doing these days? 

A Letter from Brad Shell, founder of The Unknown Brewing Co.

I don't know how popular it is to hang out at these days but I am loving Unknown's canned offerings and a few of their special releases I've tried. They get the most improved award for sure from their opening. 

Response from Triple C via twitter: Our lawyer is working on it. We would rather spend money on new equipment

I think Blue Blaze will find the white blaze doesn't lead to a happy ending if they are continuing to pursue this. Triple C was selling this beer in town in late 2013, well before Blue Blaze ever filed a trademark.

Response from Triple C via twitter: Our lawyer is working on it. We would rather spend money on new equipment

I think Blue Blaze will find the white blaze doesn't lead to a happy ending if they are continuing to pursue this. Triple C was selling this beer in town in late 2013, well before Blue Blaze ever filed a trademark.

Nothing like burning a bridge before you cross it! These guys must have failed PR 101. Geez.

I don't understand trademarks, and I'm totally behind Triple C here, but why wouldn't Triple C have trademarked it  ---  I mean, exactly to prevent somebody else from trademarking it and having to go through this?  I wonder what the conventional wisdom is, across breweries of similar size, on trademarking individual beer names?

Edited by grodney

I honestly think this is so minuscule that a majority of the public wouldn't notice. But I'm inclined to bring it to the publics attention because it pisses me off and is stupid of blue blaze. Lol

Next up on Charlotte Agenda:  Development of Dumb Business moves: Alienate customers before you even open!

Would love to hear both sides of the story on the record.

Blue Blaze tweeted and then deleted something along the lines of "We didn't know until we saw it on the shelf. Reached out to one of the owners and thought it was over. Please keep this out of Social Media".  

Apparently not if Triple C's lawyer is involved and it looks like the trademark request is still open.