Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Ha ha, please keep this out of social media.  Right.

Shhh.  Please don't let others know you don't approve of what we are doing.

I don't understand trademarks, and I'm totally behind Triple C here, but why wouldn't Triple C have trademarked it  ---  I mean, exactly to prevent somebody else from trademarking it and having to go through this?  I wonder what the conventional wisdom is, across breweries of similar size, on trademarking individual beer names?

Common law trademark (first to use it, owns it) applies to local geographic area.  You would typically only need to trademark a beer name if you plan to distribute it out of town/area (which Triple C does not do). If Blue Blaze intends to distribute this beer (slow down there boys) they would need to trademark it and if unopposed, they would get the trademark and could force Triple C to immediately change the name. As noted, it costs lawyer money to do the opposition so they don't get the name.   

I still don't see how they have a leg to stand on since this beer was named and sold 9 months before they filed a trademark.

Blue Blaze replied to my tweet and said it was an honest oversight, and attached a grab of the tweet mentioned above.

Hard to believe but I guess possible?

Also, someone replied to them that all they had to do was drop the filing and it would be dead as an issue.

That was me! 

But oversight? Sure maybe. But why is the trademark progressing with updates in mid May?

One "funny" thing is, when Blue Blaze first hit this thread...on Nov 17 last year, I googled them pretty hard to find out about them.  I'm pretty sure I happened across those trademark filings, including White Blaze.  I guess I didn't think to alert Triple C back then.

Blue Blaze replied to my tweet and said it was an honest oversight, and attached a grab of the tweet mentioned above.

Hard to believe but I guess possible?

Also, someone replied to them that all they had to do was drop the filing and it would be dead as an issue.

If it was as simple and as innocent as Blue Blaze makes it out to be, why would Triple C even need to have their lawyer involved?  More beer, less attorneys.  

"Oh, you already use this name? Our fault. Sorry."  

Personally, this makes me really dislike the people behind this brewery-to-be out of the gate.  It's a wide world of possibilities for a new brand, and to attempt to take Triple C's name right out from underneath them.  Pretty poor.  Heck, even the name 'Blue Blaze' hits a little too close to home IMO.

#TeamTripleC

• Like 1

I don't understand trademarks, and I'm totally behind Triple C here, but why wouldn't Triple C have trademarked it  ---  I mean, exactly to prevent somebody else from trademarking it and having to go through this?  I wonder what the conventional wisdom is, across breweries of similar size, on trademarking individual beer names?

You trademark something so that another company can't come in and sell with the same brand name and information. By not trademarking 'White Blaze', there is nothing preventing other breweries from selling their own. However, since Triple C is selling it (and sold it first), I don't think anyone is going to be able to trademark a beer with that name, except for Triple C.  

For a limited run seasonal, it's probably not worth the time and money to trademark it. 

Blue Blaze is using social media to ask Triple C to not talk about the "misunderstanding" on social media. Brilliant! Anyways, not sure why Blue Blaze is asking them to delete their response to my question. I asked a question, they responded honestly. They aren't doing some campaign against Blue Blaze.

Blue Blaze Brewing ‏@BlueBlazeBrew  2h 

Chris @TripleCBrew, SM is not the best way to handle the misunderstanding. Appealing to you again for respect and to delete off SM.

Chris @TripleCBrew I will reach out to you privately again today. Thanks

Blue Blaze is using social media to ask Triple C to not talk about the "misunderstanding" on social media. Brilliant! Anyways, not sure why Blue Blaze is asking them to delete their response to my question. I asked a question, they responded honestly. They aren't doing some campaign against Blue Blaze.

Chris @TripleCBrew, SM is not the best way to handle the misunderstanding. Appealing to you again for respect and to delete off SM.

Chris @TripleCBrew I will reach out to you privately again today. Thanks

Man, these Blue Blaze guys are the worst.  I'm liking them less and less by the minute.  Make a phone call or just drop the douchey trademark request.  I can't believe they had to get lawyers involved.  You'd think you'd know better than to enter a market with a real sense of community then immediately start stomping on people's feet.  WTF.

#TeamTripleC

Man, these Blue Blaze guys are the worst.  I'm liking them less and less by the minute.  Make a phone call or just drop the douchey trademark request.  I can't believe they had to get lawyers involved.  You'd think you'd know better than to enter a market with a real sense of community then immediately start stomping on people's feet.  WTF.

#TeamTripleC

Well put, man.  

If they were being honest in both saying that they were unaware of the use of 'White Blaze' and that they believe that Triple C has a right to the name (which they clearly do!), why would this social media nonsense even be happening?  Something smells very fishy in our small pond.

Warning, wildly unrealistic hope expressed here:

The CBJ was discussing the Hornets current lack of a beer sponsor earlier this week (AB decided not to renew). It would be awfuly cool if all the local brewers (execpt for those blue blaze asshats) could form a sponsorship consortium so that 'Charlotte Beer' could be a primary sponsor of the team.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2015/06/hornets-lack-major-bank-beer-sponsors.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Warning, wildly unrealistic hope expressed here:

The CBJ was discussing the Hornets current lack of a beer sponsor earlier this week (AB decided not to renew). It would be awfuly cool if all the local brewers (execpt for those blue blaze asshats) could form a sponsorship consortium so that 'Charlotte Beer' could be a primary sponsor of the team.

Fantastic.  Somebody who can cram that into 140 characters should start the movement on the twitter.

Edit:  Ooof, maybe not.  10 Charlotte breweries at 100K each, *annually*?  Maybe the Hornets would settle for less, rather than be faced with nothing, ha ha.

From the article: "A-B brands Budweiser and Bud Light have been with the team from its inception as the Bobcats and, for much of that time, spent more than $1 million annually to back the NBA team."

Edited by grodney

Brass Tap in Southend is now open.

Great commitment to local brews: http://brasstapbeerbar.com/Charlotte/draft-beer/  Hopefully their service is a major upgrade from WOB (or whatever it is called now). The simple food menu will help tremendously. 

That is a VERY respectable draft menu. I will have to check this out soon. I was a negative nancy when this place was first announced as I thought the branding looked bland but I'm optimistic now.

Also noticed that they have a cigar menu, so I am assuming cigar smoking is allowed on the patio or maybe there is a dedicated interior smoking room? I'm sure some will disagree but as an occasional celebratory cigar smoker I like this especially with the impending loss of Cutters uptown (though would be a better fit in a scotch & bourbon bar somewhere!)

Brass Tap in Southend is now open.

Great commitment to local brews: http://brasstapbeerbar.com/Charlotte/draft-beer/  Hopefully their service is a major upgrade from WOB (or whatever it is called now). The simple food menu will help tremendously. 

We were expecting a small-scale World of Beer and rolled in with low expectations.The draft selection had a huge variety of local beers and the food was fantastic. Everything we ordered was shockingly good. That area is going to be hopping once Wooden Robot opens.

...and in other Blue Blaze beer naming news, we may have two 'Ghost' beers in Charlotte.  Make room, NoDa's Ghost Hop.  Blue Blaze has trademarked 'Ghost Blaze'.  These guys are great!

LOL. I will let someone else bring that up via social media. Not sure how Noda would feel about that. 

Next up for Blue Blaze naming rights: Hop Drop and Hike and Copper Blaze!

• Like 1

Five bucks they tell you, "truth prevails". :alc:

They asked me to delete my tweets and that they're an honest business trying to do things the right way. And "do you know how long it takes to register a trademark"

I gotta say though, after speaking with them they do seem like honest guys just trying to open a brewery and sell some good beer. Names seem coincidental but who knows.

Edited by Jayvee

You trademark something so that another company can't come in and sell with the same brand name and information. By not trademarking 'White Blaze', there is nothing preventing other breweries from selling their own. However, since Triple C is selling it (and sold it first), I don't think anyone is going to be able to trademark a beer with that name, except for Triple C.  

For a limited run seasonal, it's probably not worth the time and money to trademark it. 

This became an issue in Asheville when Pisgah Brewing sent a cease and desist letter to French Broad for the continued  use of Pisgah Pale Ale... which they began brewing several years prior to Pisgah opening.  Asheville Brewers got all up in arms and agreed to meet on a regular basis to avoid things like this happening.

Not sure what legal terminologies were, but from my recollection, basically a brewery lays claim to a beer name by brewing the beer and selling it.  Another  beer company may dispute its use if they have had a similar beer in production within the last year.  If the name lies dormant for more than a year, it must be trademarked or something.

Edited by archiham04

Just had a VERY long conversation with the owner. I am definitely backing off them and back on to wishing them the best. Basically they got bit for doing the right thing in trademarking (where noda and triple c didn't). They filed documents with the gov in 2014 (drawn up in 2013) and was a oversight. They have a location (close to uptown) and are ready to announce but are waiting for this to be behind them.

He's a local guy so it's not some outsider trying to make a buck and purposefully stepping on others toes. Actively talking with triple c and noda (no lawyers involved at all). Seems like the bad parts of the Internet took hold and played telephone.

While I agree the keep this off social media stance is pretty dumb but I see where they were coming from. They're trying to open and the negative chatter doesn't help when behind the scenes they're trying to make it right.

He seemed like a genuine guy and I'll lay off until I'm proven otherwise. Seems like a dude that just wants to give us another great place to drink local beer.

• Like 1

Just had a VERY long conversation with the owner. I am definitely backing off them and back on to wishing them the best. Basically they got bit for doing the right thing in trademarking (where noda and triple c didn't). They filed documents with the gov in 2014 (drawn up in 2013) and was a oversight. They have a location (close to uptown) and are ready to announce but are waiting for this to be behind them.

He's a local guy so it's not some outsider trying to make a buck and purposefully stepping on others toes. Actively talking with triple c and noda (no lawyers involved at all). Seems like the bad parts of the Internet took hold and played telephone.

While I agree the keep this off social media stance is pretty dumb but I see where they were coming from. They're trying to open and the negative chatter doesn't help when behind the scenes they're trying to make it right.

He seemed like a genuine guy and I'll lay off until I'm proven otherwise. Seems like a dude that just wants to give us another great place to drink local beer.

Good for you to have that conversation.  Cheers to the high road!

Have they decided to jettison the names and do the right thing?