Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

21 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

It seems, from pretty much every report that's out there, that the "wild" we are seeing is at a different level from 2019 and before. Perhaps it's partially the lack of more tame convention/business travelers or maybe our every increasing popularity, but this is being seen as worse (especially in the media, where like it or not, it counts). I think most of the frustration is with the moving entertainment folks. We expect Broadway to be raucous at a 10 out of 10, but not at Hume Fogg, not  really at the  new Grand Hyatt or in the Gulch. We need more rules and enforcement of those rules for the transportanment vehicles. 

This city doesn't need to run itself based on the media. No one believes anything those clowns say anyway. This city's fortune turned when people began raving about it by word of mouth in the mid '10s.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, nashscan said:

MPD has very limited resources.  Every time they arrest (someone it takes an officer off the streets for two hours.   The pending calls then start backing up, and people wonder why it takes so long for an officer to respond when their car is broken into.  Nashville needs to start keeping actual violent  criminals behind bars.  

Limited compared to what? The only other service that receives more of Metro Nashville's budget is Metro Nashville Public Schools. Of a total $2,646,580,300 budget, 20.40% goes to Public Safety & Justice. 38.33% to education. 13.61% to debt service. 12.86% to general government. 4.67% to infrastructure and transportation. 4.37% to health and social services. 4.08% to recreation and culture. And finally, 1.69% to other. source: https://www.nashville.gov/sites/default/files/2021-09/FY-2022-Operating-Budget-Book-linked.pdf?ct=1632767380

I can't do math but 20.40% of more than 2 and a half billion dollars is, like, a lot. 

Edited by Nashvillain

1 hour ago, Nashvillain said:

Limited compared to what? The only other service that receives more of Metro Nashville's budget is Metro Nashville Public Schools. Of a total $2,646,580,300 budget, 20.40% goes to Public Safety & Justice. 38.33% to education. 13.61% to debt service. 12.86% to general government. 4.67% to infrastructure and transportation. 4.37% to health and social services. 4.08% to recreation and culture. And finally, 1.69% to other. source: https://www.nashville.gov/sites/default/files/2021-09/FY-2022-Operating-Budget-Book-linked.pdf?ct=1632767380

I can't do math but 20.40% of more than 2 and a half billion dollars is, like, a lot. 

MNPD is currently short about 100 police officers. Because of the shortage of people, decisions must be made on how to best allocate resources (officers)

With that said, I'm sure that is what @nashscanwas referring to with 'limited resources'

Do you know what the 20% for safety includes? I would assume police and fire; what about ambulance, animal control, etc? Are they part of Safety or other? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

MNPD is currently short about 100 police officers. Because of the shortage of people, decisions must be made on how to best allocate resources (officers)

With that said, I'm sure that is what @nashscanwas referring to with 'limited resources'

Do you know what the 20% for safety includes? I would assume police and fire; what about ambulance, animal control, etc? Are they part of Safety or other? 

Decisions must always be made how best to allocate finite public resources. I don't know what nashcan is referring to, but I figured I could at least provide a bit of data as opposed to anecdotes and hearsay. 

The link I provided is to the current fiscal year budget. It has all the details you could want about where the money goes. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nashvillain said:

Decisions must always be made how best to allocate finite public resources. I don't know what nashcan is referring to, but I figured I could at least provide a bit of data as opposed to anecdotes and hearsay. 

The link I provided is to the current fiscal year budget. It has all the details you could want about where the money goes. 

And thanks for the info! I appreciate the summary! 

I was taking a guess as to what @nashscanwas referring to, but I will not make assumptions and let @nashscanreply 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LA_TN said:

Sometimes it’s difficult to translate thoughts into posts in this environment, but that’s pretty close to what I meant.   Each sector has a certain amount of patrol officers on any given shift (A,B,C).  There are also special commands such as additional officers on lower broad on the weekends, but even then it gets very very busy with drunk and disorderly calls.    The alcohol related incidents downtown stretch both PD and FD resources really thin.  Outside of the tourist areas is a whole other ballgame with increasing crime and drug overdoses. 

Edited by nashscan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Texas Tourist dies after losing control of scooter on 3rd Ave. colliding with tractor trailor.

Nashville Mayor John Cooper called the situation downtown a "tipping point,"fearing its delicate ecosystem as a place for residents, tourists and business people is teetering. City leaders are debating regulations and the future of downtown as crowds continue to swell and an increasing number of entertainment vehicles crop up.

This has made us the most vulnerable we have ever been in terms of sustaining our success," said Nashville Convention & Visitors Corp. President and CEO Butch Spyridon, who has helped steer the city's tourism industry for the last 25 years. "And it's not just the (entertainment) vehicles. It is safety, it is trash, it is homeless (individuals) ... There hasn't been a more important thing since we debated the Music City Center, and this has greater implications."

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2021/10/04/melinda-lovelady-woman-dies-downtown-nashville-scooter-wreck/5986685001/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I have a question and forgive me if this is random, but I just logged back into these forums to check what I have missed these past few weeks and I keep seeing mention to something from NYC...maybe a developer of some sort? What did I miss exactly regarding NYC and Nashville?

13 hours ago, glamdring269 said:
Nevermind. Can’t get the Twitter link to work properly. Mick Jagger visited the scrap yard for some reason (amongst other places). Kind of funny and sad at the same time.

Stark difference from last time the Stones were in town, and he visited the Parthenon.

13 hours ago, glamdring269 said:
Nevermind. Can’t get the Twitter link to work properly. Mick Jagger visited the scrap yard for some reason (amongst other places). Kind of funny and sad at the same time.

Imagine taking your dog for a morning walk on your usual trail in Percy Priest Park and randomly bumping into freakin' Mick Jagger.   hahaha

• Like 4

14 hours ago, glamdring269 said:

Funny! Is he taking a DIG at Nashville? Wilderness... junkyard and the ugliest stadium in the NFL?  

Side note:  This is pure coincidence, but I happened upon Stones tickets in Pittsburgh last weekend from my son. I was 8 when Some Girls came out and got the album for my birthday. Played the heck out of that through the next year, but I never became a die hard fan. Always appreciated their sound and contribution to music. Ther only concert I ever saw was when the came to Nashville (Vandy) in October 1997 (Bridges to Babylon).  This is a long way of saying I never expected to go to another Stones concert, but there I was at Heinz field last Saturday night. I have to say though that the appeal over recent years has been their 'eternal youth'.  But I was disabused of that last week when (No Kidding) there were so many people there with walkers or canes, and no one appeared to be under the age of 65. I'm 51 now and know I'm too old for loud concerts. Nevertheless, it was a bittersweet and mostly enjoyable show. I miss Charlie!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

We now know how Joe Bonamassa feels about the party transportaiment vehicles.

https://twitter.com/jbonamassa/status/1446940365840396288?s=12

The comments are interesting. Split between the ‘yeah we hate those things too!’ crowd and the ‘traffic is bad because of the Stones’ crowd. The mobile party scene really just doesn’t impact some people. I am not one of those people.

On 10/10/2021 at 11:02 AM, Flatrock said:

From the Stones concert last night. Picture quality blows, but you get the idea. Towards the end of the concert, Jagger says "I first came to Nashville in 1964...it was such a small town then. God, what a big city Nashville has become! It's so good to be back."  They played 'Dead Flowers' as an homage to country music, and killed.

Jagger said "I had a good time last night, I  went to Printers Alley and sang ‘Honky Tonk Women’ in a karaoke bar. I crashed a bachelorette party on a pedal tavern. They loved my Goo Goo Clusters. We all ended up at the Wild Beaver riding a mechanical bull."  Good times, LOL.

Wanted to go to this show badly, but was at Disney instead.  Dead Flowers...that's awesome...could only have been topped by Far Away Eyes and its slide guitar.

• Thanks 1