Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

35 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

I'm driving down this Thursday from DC after about 7 months away. I'm excited to see the changes!

Nathan: If you're still in town Saturday morning, you'll need to join us for our Monthly U.P. Nashville Meet-Up at 10 AM at The Perch (300 James Robertson Parkway, at NW corner of James Robertson Parkway and Third Ave. North, 615-647-7255).    : )

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

I'm driving down this Thursday from DC after about 7 months away. I'm excited to see the changes!

Maybe we will pass each other lol. I'm actually heading out Thursday evening. I'm excited to see the changes as well. It has been exactly a year since I have been home. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, markhollin said:

Nathan: If you're still in town Saturday morning, you'll need to join us for our Monthly U.P. Nashville Meet-Up at 10 AM at The Perch (300 James Robertson Parkway, at NW corner of James Robertson Parkway and Third Ave. North, 615-647-7255).    : )

I'd love to, and I fully intend to if I can make it. Got some family obligations already lined up, but if I can duck out for an hour or so I will be there.

I've met a few of the people on the board here and would love to start putting more faces to names.

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 1

Specs on some of the new viewing areas, stages, etc. for this year's big Nashville Fireworks Show:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2017/06/30/chris-young-headlines-nashvilles-july-4-celebration/416994001/

Listing and details on all the area fireworks shows in the next several days.  Includes a fun slide show of downtown's wet celebration last year.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/2017/06/30/where-watch-fireworks-nashville-clarksville-middle-tennessee/434192001/

Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 8.24.28 AM.png

• Like 3

Report from the Tennessean on the "Let Freedom Sing" 4th of July Party held downtown.  Includes 86 pic slide show.  Officials are saying 240,000 in attendance---but I think that is ridiculously high. That would be more than the entire population of Williamson County crammed into about 12 square blocks.  They need to get a handle on the hyping-up of these crowd sizes.  What are they going to predict next year...400,000?  Sheesh.   Realistically, it was probably 75,000-100,000.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2017/07/04/fireworks-and-fourth-july-celebrations-nashville/443922001/

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Report from the Tennessean on the "Let Freedom Sing" 4th of July Party held downtown.  Includes 86 pic slide show.  Officials are saying 240,000 in attendance---but I think that is ridiculously high. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2017/07/04/fireworks-and-fourth-july-celebrations-nashville/443922001/

But would it seem smaller since it was more spread out this year, for safety reasons?

Channel 2 coverage was horrible.  Did anyone watch it on TV?  One view had the fireworks in a slight slow mo which took the music out of sync.  Another had most of the fireworks hidden behind the AT&T building.  Then they panned the crowd and zoomed way in at times.  It's just my opinion... not fact.  I just don't think they did a good job on coverage.  The fireworks and music themselves (from what Channel 2 would let me see) was AMAZING!!

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

Channel 2 coverage was horrible.  Did anyone watch it on TV?  One view had the fireworks in a slight slow mo which took the music out of sync.  Another had most of the fireworks hidden behind the AT&T building.  Then they panned the crowd and zoomed way in at times.  It's just my opinion... not fact.  I just don't think they did a good job on coverage.  The fireworks and music themselves (from what Channel 2 would let me see) was AMAZING!!

Not to mention the reporter kept saying "Lower Broad Street".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRaglander said:

Channel 2 can't do anything well. 

• Like 3

I watched it on 2 as well (newborn). The coverage was atrocious. I looked at my wife a few minutes in and said "this is boring, let's go outside and watch". We watch what we could over the tree tops and could only see the high altitude bursts, but it was still 1000% better than the News 2 coverage.

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Nashville home sale up 0.4% in June over same period last year.  However, the average price was up 12% during that time for average house, and 7% for average condo. The median single-family sales price in Nashville in May of this year was $279,142. If the median sales price goes up by a similar amount during July, that would push it beyond the $300,000 mark. For comparison, Nashville’s median sales price hit $200,000 for the first time in June of 2013.  So, if that happens, it that would mean the average price of a house in the Nashville area will have grown 50% in just 4 years.  Yowzers! 

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/07/07/nashville-home-prices-flirt-with-new-milestone.html

The sad thing about that is that we're pulling in a lot of fairly wealthy new residents to Nashville but risking driving more poor and middle-class folks into the suburbs.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, titanhog said:

The sad thing about that is that we're pulling in a lot of fairly wealthy new residents to Nashville but risking driving more poor and middle-class folks into the suburbs.

Ironic that this is basically just a reversal of the previous tend, where all the wealthy people preferred to be out in said suburbs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

When it was built, or when it was expanded?

Either.  I think the city owned the land originally, but can't find out much else on whether it was sold to CMHOF, or leased. As far as the expansion, I don't think the city had anything to do with that...but not sure. 

6 minutes ago, markhollin said:

As far as the expansion, I don't think the city had anything to do with that...but not sure. 

It was principally a mix of private and corporate donors who raised between $50-60mm. Then chairman Steve Turner donated millions, as did Ford Motors. Other wealthy individuals and sponsors contributed. No municipal funding,  I believe. 

• Like 1