Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

There was a discussion on another thread (can't remember which) about Nashville having so many "boxes" and "why should it matter as long as we fill surface lots".  
While I agree that not every building can be something other than rectangular, what I feel like we are missing are some gorgeous and creative designs to these buildings.  Look at 222, the new buildings in the Gulch, 505 to some extent, Bridgestone, 5th and broad, future Lifeway site... all boxy with not a ton of character IMO.

Coming across CNN I saw a background and drooled over these three buildings.  So much contemporary character.  I would love to see this in Nashville.  I understand it's costly and whatnot but having building and skyline "character" is really what I think a lot of us would like to see.  When someone drives from the midwest over to the coast... or from the North down to the gulf, they see our beautiful skyline.  A few buildings like these would be sexy.  

Where are these buildings?

(One last note... this isn't a political post.  I know the lady in the picture is in politics)

buildings.PNG

Edited by TheRaglander

15 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

There was a discussion on another thread (can't remember which) about Nashville having so many "boxes" and "why should it matter as long as we fill surface lots".  
While I agree that not every building can be something other than rectangular, what I feel like we are missing are some gorgeous and creative designs to these buildings.  Look at 222, the new buildings in the Gulch, 505 to some extent, Bridgestone, 5th and broad, future Lifeway site... all boxy with not a ton of character IMO.

Coming across CNN I saw a background and drooled over these three buildings.  So much contemporary character.  I would love to see this in Nashville.  I understand it's costly and whatnot but having building and skyline "character" is really what I think a lot of us would like to see.  When someone drives from the midwest over to the coast... or from the North down to the gulf, they see our beautiful skyline.  A few buildings like these would be sexy.  

Where are these buildings?

(One last note... this isn't a political post.  I know the lady in the picture is in politics)

buildings.PNG

that would be downtown Philadelphia and the Comcast center and another comcast tower. 

• Like 3

Publix wants to build a new store at 2223 Eighth Avenue South, which would make it the closest of the chain's stores to Nashville's core. It is at the site of the former building of Frank Neal's Insurance agency. The 40,000 s.f. store will have 3-stories; two for parking and one containing the store. 

BPW: http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20867812/real-estate-notes-bza-to-vote-on-publix-project

Screen_Shot_2017_07_17_at_2.23.42_PM.596d1441c18f9.jpg

• Like 4

From Nashville Post:

Area home supply tightens

RE/MAX Tennessee is reporting the Nashville area's available housing supply is down from a supply of 2.2 months in May to a supply of 1.9 months in June. The company reports the drop is “putting additional strain on Nashville's housing market.”

For example, home sales within Nashville are down 10.6 percent compared to this time last year, while home prices continue to rise.

Murfreesboro saw the most significant jump in home prices at 22.78 percent. Clarksville saw the largest jump in home sales — up 24 percent compared to the mark from this time in 2016.

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

From Nashville Post:

Area home supply tightens

RE/MAX Tennessee is reporting the Nashville area's available housing supply is down from a supply of 2.2 months in May to a supply of 1.9 months in June. The company reports the drop is “putting additional strain on Nashville's housing market.”

For example, home sales within Nashville are down 10.6 percent compared to this time last year, while home prices continue to rise.

Murfreesboro saw the most significant jump in home prices at 22.78 percent. Clarksville saw the largest jump in home sales — up 24 percent compared to the mark from this time in 2016.

So...does this pretty much prove that Nashville's prices are now too high and are driving people to the suburbs?  If Nashville home sales are down 10.6% from last year...but prices are rising...they're sure to come down eventually...right?

5 minutes ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ It's Nashville area, not just the city itself.  Part of the problem is there are not enough homes to meet the demand.

Now I understand.  Sales are down in Nashville because there aren't enough homes available.  

So does this also mean these super-high priced condos are all selling out as well?

Edited by titanhog

^ ^ ^ No, the high-end condos are not selling briskly...but they are selling.  That's why you don't see many projects being constructed as condos right now.  Nearly all new mass residential projects (at least in the city) are apartments.  When it comes to purchase, most families are going to prefer a house instead of a condo.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ No, the high-end condos are not selling briskly...but they are selling.  That's why you don't see many projects being constructed as condos right now.  Nearly all new mass residential projects (at least in the city) are apartments.  When it comes to purchase, most families are going to prefer a house instead of a condo.  

Just the prices of those apartments in Nashville are probably twice as much as my mortgage in Smyrna.  Wish I would have rented out the home I owned off Music Row instead of selling it.

I'm relatively new to the home buying and apartment/condo building world (my wife and I are expecting our first child this December and are trying to buy a home this fall), so forgive me for asking: why would a developer choose to build rental apartments vs condos that are for sale, or vice versa?