Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, PHofKS said:

They are still fund raising. They will cost a total of 5 million. The City will provide 2 million of infrastructure improvements and the rest has to be raised through donations. I don't know what progress has been made on the fund raising, but November sounds optimistic.

The fountains are being designed by the Italian company that designed the Bellagio fountains in Las Vegas. They will require a specially designed nozzle unique to this installation. It will be one of Nashville's signature spots when it is complete.

Just going off of what WKRN said in May.

Many of LeQuire’s early models for his sculptures can be found in his West Nashville studio. There’s even a small-scale replica of Musica – nine dancing figures that stand 16 feet high in the heart of Nashville’s Music Row.

It’s also the centerpiece for a series of choreographed fountains that will be added in November.

http://wkrn.com/2017/05/17/artist-behind-some-of-music-citys-iconic-landmarks-speaks-about-his-work/

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Wow, I've been to the Smoky Mountains countless times, and I had no idea that Elk were native to the area!  Magnificent!

Elk were reintroduced a few years back and now number around 200 mostly living on the NC side and they love the Oconaluftee Visitors Center meadows right before Cherokee. 

• Like 3

There's roamers that they reintroduced the red wolf down here in north Alabama a couple years back.  There's a chance I seen one or it was an extremely red cyote one night In the middle of Madison, Al.  Too big to be a fox but about that color.

Edited by L'burgnative

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2017/08/02/arizona-diamondbacks-chase-field-mlb-move-stadium-conditions-repairs/527199001/

In the event a baseball team is forced to "move", what cities are in line to swoop one up?  I am in no way suggesting it would be Nashville.  But curious since Nashville is getting a lot of sports media attention as of late.

^ ^ ^ I would think that Nashville is on MLB's radar for sometime in the next decade.  Franchises that are probable candidates for relocation are Tampa Bay and Oakland. I don't see expansion happening in the near future.

Besides Nashville, the only cities that I think would be possible new homes are San Antonio, Indianapolis, Charlotte/Raleigh, and an outside chance to either New Orleans or Las Vegas.

MLB does require a baseball-only stadium, and, as it has been discussed on the boards here before, First Tennessee Park does not have a sufficient footprint to be expanded to major league capacity. So, a downtown location elsewhere would need to be put forward.

My thinking all along has been this: Within the next decade, the Titans will begin squawking about needing a more modern facility because Nissan Stadium will be 30 years old in 2029. If Nashville continues on the trajectory of being one of the destination cities of America, as well as a stellar host of large events of all types, then there should be serious discussion on building a state-of-the-art stadium that would have a retractable roof and could host many concerts, events, and sports (Super Bowl, BCS Bowl, NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four, World Cup, NHL Winter Classic Series, more big concerts in colder months, massive conventions, etc.) beyond just the Titans. The best place to locate this new Enormo-Dome would be on the PSC Metals site.

Once it would be completed, Nissan would be torn down, and a new MLB stadium could go on its general footprint (actually, I would move it even closer to the river), with the right field bleachers backing right up against a river walk.  Just like Pittsburgh, it would have one of the most beautiful and iconic views of a downtown skyline of any stadia in sports. Every single broadcast would be another bit of eye candy for viewers to see just what a lovely riverfront and downtown we have here.

Of course, we are talking probably over $2 billion total for both stadiums in 2029 dollars (maybe even more).  So there would need to be a tremendous public will, along with strong local corporate support for all of that to happen.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ I would think that Nashville is on MLB's radar for sometime in the next decade.  Franchises that are probable candidates for relocation are Tampa Bay and Oakland. I don't see expansion happening in the near future.

Besides Nashville, the only cities that I think would be possible new homes are San Antonio, Indianapolis, Charlotte/Raleigh, and an outside chance to either New Orleans or Las Vegas.

MLB does require a baseball-only stadium, and, as it has been discussed on the boards here before, First Tennessee Park does not have a sufficient footprint to be expanded to major league capacity. So, a downtown location elsewhere would need to be put forward.

My thinking all along has been this: Within the next decade, the Titans will begin squawking about needing a more modern facility because Nissan Stadium will be 30 years old in 2029. If Nashville continues on the trajectory of being one of the destination cities of America, as well as a stellar host of large events of all types, then there should be serious discussion on building a state-of-the-art stadium that would have a retractable roof and could host many concerts, events, and sports (Super Bowl, BCS Bowl, NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four, World Cup, NHL Winter Classic Series, more big concerts in colder months, massive conventions, etc.) beyond just the Titans. The best place to locate this new Enormo-Dome would be on the PSC Metals site.

Once it would be completed, Nissan would be torn down, and a new MLB stadium could go on its general footprint (actually, I would move it even closer to the river), with the right field bleachers backing right up against a river walk.  Just like Pittsburgh, it would have one of the most beautiful and iconic views of a downtown skyline of any stadia in sports. Every single broadcast would be another bit of eye candy for viewers to see just what a lovely riverfront and downtown we have here.

Of course, we are talking probably over $2 billion total for both stadiums in 2029 dollars (maybe even more).  So there would need to be a tremendous public will, along with strong local corporate support for all of that to happen.

It would be so awesome if everything you just said comes to fruition. New indoor football dome and an MLB team/stadium on the river... 

IsZF8pX.gif

Edited by Andrew_3289
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Andrew_3289 said:

It would be so awesome if everything you just said comes to fruition. New indoor football dome and an MLB team/stadium on the river... 

giphy.webp

And a soccer stadium for MLS mixed in there as well.  (may as well throw that on our dream list for the PSC / Titans site area) :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheRaglander said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2017/08/02/arizona-diamondbacks-chase-field-mlb-move-stadium-conditions-repairs/527199001/

In the event a baseball team is forced to "move", what cities are in line to swoop one up?  I am in no way suggesting it would be Nashville.  But curious since Nashville is getting a lot of sports media attention as of late.

Ummmm....maybe!?

It now appears that the Oakland A's are going to get their own, new stadium in Oakland and that will remove them from the list (in my mind) of the most likely to move to Nashville. The Commissioner of baseball has not so quietly been giving Charlotte, North Carolina props as a possible MLB city someday, which I assume would happen if the Tampa Bay Rays finally and inevitably, pack up and leave.

So, if Arizona can't make it in Phoenix, who knows? Nashville, return baseball to Montreal, Austin/San Antonio, Indy, Portland, Inland Empire (Riverside, Cali)? The options seem limited.

Look at Cleveland and Kansas City to shop around some day, but not in the near future, however.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

I didn't know the Diamondbacks were having trouble.  If they lose them and the Coyotes they should be perma banned from having pro sports teams.

The Suns do well there. The only reason Arizona is in danger of leaving is because the stadium needs fixing up, not a fan base issue. 

From Nashville Post:

RE/MAX Tennessee research for the first half of 2017 shows the median sales price for a home in the Nashville market was $283,825, up 32 percent from the $214,725 mark of mid-2016.

The number of properties sold at mid-year was 14,806, down 26 percent from the 19,900 sold at the same time last year.

The days on the market dropped to 45 days from 70 days, a dip of 36 percent.

The RE/MAX Housing Report shows that homes are moving the quickest in Franklin. Specifically, Franklin homes are currently on the market for 25 days, compared to 39 days at the same time in 2016. Nationally, a home is on the market for an average of 47 days according to the July 2017 RE/MAX National Housing Report that surveys 53 metro areas.

“Nashville is an extremely hot housing market with no immediate signs of slowing down,” Jeff LaGrange, vice president of RE/MAX Tennessee, said in a release. “With fewer homes on the market and rising prices, competition is fierce right now.”

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

From Nashville Post:

RE/MAX Tennessee research for the first half of 2017 shows the median sales price for a home in the Nashville market was $283,825, up 32 percent from the $214,725 mark of mid-2016.

The number of properties sold at mid-year was 14,806, down 26 percent from the 19,900 sold at the same time last year.

The days on the market dropped to 45 days from 70 days, a dip of 36 percent.

The RE/MAX Housing Report shows that homes are moving the quickest in Franklin. Specifically, Franklin homes are currently on the market for 25 days, compared to 39 days at the same time in 2016. Nationally, a home is on the market for an average of 47 days according to the July 2017 RE/MAX National Housing Report that surveys 53 metro areas.

“Nashville is an extremely hot housing market with no immediate signs of slowing down,” Jeff LaGrange, vice president of RE/MAX Tennessee, said in a release. “With fewer homes on the market and rising prices, competition is fierce right now.”

The question is whether volume is simply decreasing because of lack of supply. Generally rising prices on decreasing volume is a bearish sign for markets.

Premier Parking (of which Tony Giarratana owns a minority share) has just been sold.  Wonder if this rather substantial transaction will be an influx of cash for Tony's next downtown development? The sale price was not announced.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/08/03/private-equity-firm-buys-nashvilles-premier-parking/537238001/

• Like 3

On 8/2/2017 at 2:17 PM, Andrew_3289 said:

IsZF8pX.gif

And a theme park....

On 8/2/2017 at 4:14 PM, Rockatansky said:

I still think Nashville is too small for MLB. So many games. So many seats to fill.

But look at the Marlins, they have maybe 5 people show up to their games and they still have a team... ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, samsonh said:

The question is whether volume is simply decreasing because of lack of supply. Generally rising prices on decreasing volume is a bearish sign for markets.

My wife and I are trying to buy a home in Antioch currently, and the market is insane. Within days of reaching the market homes already have half a dozen offers. It's totally an issue of lack of supply. 

• Like 2