Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Metro Planning has signed a consulting contract for an undisclosed sum of money to explore developer incentives and/or penalties to encourage "affordable housing," which for this article's purposes is defined according to housing costs as a portion of gross household income.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2015/02/21/nashville-pursues-policy-spur-affordable-housing/23773341/

• Like 1

Metro Planning has signed a consulting contract for an undisclosed sum of money to explore developer incentives and/or penalties to encourage "affordable housing," which for this article's purposes is defined according to housing costs as a portion of gross household income.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2015/02/21/nashville-pursues-policy-spur-affordable-housing/23773341/

The politics of this will get ugly. Be warned!

Great shot. It's really saying something, both good for the arena and bad for the city overall, that aside from the MCC, the arent is still arguably the most modern looking building design in the city.

I'd say the Arena, MCC and CMHoF all give the city a cool vibe.  Then...throw in the Schemerhorn for an incredible classic look...and that couple of blocks is pretty eye-catching.

• Like 4

From the Post:

Bridgestone Arena named Arena of the Year by industry magazine

Attababy... Being Almost 20 years old, she still holds her own as the top Arena of the Year.

bridgestone-outside.jpg

I never was a fan of the look of the arena from the time it was selected in a competition of several national design firms. There were some that were more classic, with brick facing and a sense of scale that would have fit in to the Lower Broadway area better. I was a little disappointed when this 'flying saucer' proposal was selected by a committee of various members of the community, including Charles Davis who played for the Chicago Bulls at the time. The reasons given for the consensus choice were the layout that favored musical performance sight lines more so than for sporting events, the inclusion of a rehearsal hall and the homage to Music City's radio roots with the addition of the Radio Tower signature structure on the North side.

It has grown on me, though. I watched the construction, beam by beam from my office in the James K. Polk Tower. I have attended a few hundred events over the years (mostly hockey) and have seen every section and space in the arena. But the way it activates the street is great. The plaza is an incredible space in the heart of the tourist district; much like a (very) small scale Times Square or Younge Street and Dundas Square in Toronto. People can gather and meet. And on a game night or other event, it is alive with light and sound.  Combine an event with the usual Saturday night crowd and you have a place unlike any other in the South, possibly excepting South Beach or Bourbon Street.

It has become familiar, though, and should be less of a misfit when the development of the old convention center is completed with all its post-modernistic glass facing is completed.

• Like 1

This may not be news to anyone, but it was a new discovery for me that I thought I'd pass along.  Google Maps has added their 3D Tilt View for Nashville, and it's pretty cool.  You do need a fairly fast computer to make it worth your while, but if you give it a minute to fully render everything, it's very interesting to 'fly' through the cities at different angles and directions.  Just slick the button in the bottom right of the screen, and you'll be good to go.

• Like 3

That concept is being developed by a guy named Adam Rosenberg out of NYC - different than the Guesthouse concept we are talking about here.  I think he was calling it Project Beacon Nashville (www.theprojectbeacon.com).  His firm is called Manhattan Ventures.  

I know he's been in and out of town raising money for it, but I'm not sure if he was ever able to line up the debt piece.  Last I heard he was scouting a couple sites in SoBro.   

Update on this project in the Tennessean today:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2015/02/25/creative-concept-project-beacon-finds-home-sobro/23996547/

• Like 1

IKEA to Nashville?

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) -

IKEA officials have confirmed the possibility of opening a location in Nashville, but will this lessen the impact of Memphis' location once it is built?

That quoted statement seems aimed at nothing more than for superficial dramatics and exaggeration.  I don't exactly categorize IKEA as a Bergdoff Goodman or a Tiffany's, and for the type of market that such a store would serve, I doubt that a 200-mile eastward site would adversely affect patronage in Mid-America / Mississippi Valley region of demographics.  I would think that Memphians and company should be more concerned with the effects of the new IKEA expected to be opening in St. Louis in fall 2015

-==-

This seems like the best location for this post.  If there is another more appropriate topic please move it.  This is in planning and the rezoning sign has gone up.  Technically, this is in Cane Ridge.  Near the Family Leisure off I-24 SW.  There really has been no develpment in this area since I moved to TN. All the land has been for sale for at least 10 years. I hope it gets built.

http://www.tdkconstruction.com/rezoning-sought-for-mixed-use-project-in-se-davidson/916/

I've seen another plan, which i thought was on this forum, but can't locate it.  It showed Hickory Hollow Parkway being extended beyond I-24 and eventually connect with Burkitt or Nolensville.  It had a lot of devolpment, but really made no sense.  Given all the empty space around the mall, I didn't see why anyone would build it. 

Maybe this will trigger others to build.

I am thinking this is the Beaman-Tutner property that Oldacre McDonald is planning. This will lie between I24 and Cain Ridge and include the old Target location too, I think. Total land involved is 350 acres. The info is under the S Nashville\Antioch thread.

Let me know if this is not the location.

My bad, the link you posted didn't load. Yes this is Burkitt station. William at the post reported on this.