Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

What direction is "ahead"? BOA and Hearst look the same from all directions, as do some of the boxy towers (e.g., 400 S. Tryon). Then there are some towers where the broad side faces one direction (Carillon, Three Wachovia) while for others, the broad side faces the opposite direction (Charlotte Plaza, NASCAR Plaza). One Wachovia and Duke Energy Center just make the skyline a bit more multidimensional with the way they're oriented, which is a good thing.

Not to mention that Center City is at a 45 degree angle, so really everything else is angled and One Wachovia and Duke Energy Center face true cardinal directions.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what Boricua is talking about is the angle the buildings are positioned when compared to uptown's grid. Most of the building's sides are parallel to the roads surrounding them, while Duke Energy and One Wachovia are built at 45 degree angles to the block. I hope that makes sense. Anyway, I agree that the different angle adds something extra to the skyline.

I think what Boricua is talking about is the angle the buildings are positioned when compared to uptown's grid. Most of the building's sides are parallel to the roads surrounding them, while Duke Energy and One Wachovia are built at 45 degree angles to the block. I hope that makes sense. Anyway, I agree that the different angle adds something extra to the skyline.

I understand what Boricua was saying, I was just presenting an observation and offering a theoretical reasoning as to the reason why these two buildings are positioned differently . What he said was sufficiently clear. I feel that the buildings positioning definitely makes the skyline seem more dynamic, and it would be nice for some other buildings on north tryon to do the same in the opposite direction.

A good many buildings uptown rise up and angle away from the grid for a more direct E-W exposure. BofA Plaza, Independence Center, and First Citizens Bank Plaza do this. As far as the Duke Tower (previously known as Wachovia Corporate Center) is concerned, the architect designed the top as an angle to mimic the bank's HQ tower One Wachovia Center--sort of making them part of a family (much like BofA did with window patterns and cladding for the IJL and Hearst towers to mesh with the Corporate Center). The TVS (architects) website states: "The tower's chiseled top culminates in a dramatic window, oriented to acknowledge the bank's existing headquarters structure".

Correcto mundo abttown!! Thnx everybody!!

A friend in the construction business tells me that the condo portion of the Wachovia complex is out for bid. Construction to begin June 2010. Has anyone else heard anything ?

I can confirm that. However, i subscribe to about 5 different bidding services and the only bidding service that has posted that information is Bid Clerk. As far as Carolina AGC, Dodge, PLans Online, LDi Line, Sharpe, Porters, none of them have this info. Bid Clerk sometimes releases old leads, but then again it may be something that is going to be kept hush hush. I did not see a bid date on this either. If your friend has please let me know, i'd like to see if i have a shot at the concrete.

well those maps are horribly off if so. as a non-subscriber i don't see an address or intersection listed, but there's no way a 42 story tower is going up on e trade street in 2nd ward, lol.

It's because the location is listed as "Charlotte, NC"... if you go to google and typein that same location you get a location inside 277.

Do you all think Trump has something to do with this latest development?
I dunno. Trump made it clear that it is "cheaper to buy" than build. Is it possible that Wells is just as interested in building "up" uptown Charlotte as First Union/Wachovia was? John Stumpf (Wells CEO) did state that the bank plans to "grow and invest in the business" of investment banking. Almost all of Wells' investment banking infrastructure is in Charlotte (inherited from Wachovia). Maybe they (Wells) feel those high paid investment bankers would want the option of living in a tower close to their jobs? Those GMAC employees might want to live in such a tower also.

I dunno. Trump made it clear that it is "cheaper to buy" than build. Is it possible that Wells is just as interested in building "up" uptown Charlotte as First Union/Wachovia was? John Stumpf (Wells CEO) did state that the bank plans to "grow and invest in the business" of investment banking. Almost all of Wells' investment banking infrastructure is in Charlotte (inherited from Wachovia). Maybe they (Wells) feel those high paid investment bankers would want the option of living in a tower close to their jobs? Those GMAC employees might want to live in such a tower also.

As much as I want to see this tower go vertical, you can rule out Wells having any part. When Stumpf was in town a few weeks ago, he made it clear that "banks don't build towers" though I know McColl, et al would beg to differ. I think if in fact it is true that the condo tower is going to start construction next year, it's b/c of someone like Trump, Duke Energy or another party with the interest in building it.

When Stumpf was in town a few weeks ago, he made it clear that "banks don't build towers" though I know McColl, et al would beg to differ. I think if in fact it is true that the condo tower is going to start construction next year, it's b/c of someone like Trump, Duke Energy or another party with the interest in building it.
Could that statement of his been PR? Kinda like taking the bank's name off of the golf tournament. I know banks have been under TONS of scrutiny lately (and for good reasons). Being that his bank received tax payers' money, he might have to say something like that even if it isn't true.

At any rate, why would Trump say it is "cheaper to buy" and then build a condo tower? I am not rich so help me understand the mentality of a rich man like Trump. :dontknow:

I was wondering aloud why the top of this thing has been dragging, and it was pointed out that they may be getting held up with the installation of mechanical equipment up on top. All that stuff has to be lifted up and put into place before they can finish cladding.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived