Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

Speaking of security in uptown building, Ive noticed that some office buildings don't have ANY security it seems. You can walk right in and go up the elevator to whatever floor you need.....was kinda creepy actually.

Pics or it didn't happen. :camera: Or at least tell what buildings. I've never had any luck exploring buildings other than the hotels. The top of the Westin is my favorite observation deck. Or the executive lounge atop the Hilton.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a quick search and came across the last article Dougie did about DEC and it looks like he said in there it was scheduled for June 17. That's probably where it came from.

They pretty much finished up the rooftop garden on the midrise over the last few days. In the middle of the circular brick space, they have placed a single (temporary) girder (ceremonial-looking) with a US Flag attached to it.

Don't know if this has anything to do with the topping out ceremony mentioned above.

They pretty much finished up the rooftop garden on the midrise over the last few days. In the middle of the circular brick space, they have placed a single (temporary) girder (ceremonial-looking) with a US Flag attached to it.

Sounds like a good time for InitialD to get back up in that plane and take some pics for us :)

Don't know if this has anything to do with the topping out ceremony mentioned above.

Man I hope not. That would be a pretty cheesey topping out. The flag is supposed to be at the TOP.

Man I hope not. That would be a pretty cheesey topping out. The flag is supposed to be at the TOP.

I think what Grodney is saying is, this is the girder that will be lifted to the TOP of the tower and it is being prepped on top of the midrise and will stay there until the ceremony. If that's not what he's saying...then I will. :thumbsup:

I think what Grodney is saying is, this is the girder that will be lifted to the TOP of the tower and it is being prepped on top of the midrise and will stay there until the ceremony. If that's not what he's saying...then I will. :thumbsup:

Now I got it. I'm a little slow. :blush:

Is it just me or does the new Harvey Gantt Afro American Cultural Center, juxtaposed against the looming Duke Tower, look totally out of place and minimalized ?

Not just the Gantt center. Everything feels miniaturized. That's one of the things I dislike about the Duke Center, because of its footprint and profile it is an extremely massive building compared to any other in Uptown.

Is it just me or does the new Harvey Gantt Afro American Cultural Center, juxtaposed against the looming Duke Tower, look totally out of place and minimalized ?

Well, it IS the second largest building in Charlotte :rolleyes:

Seriously though, this is a great example of why Charlotte needs strong urban design principles in its urban districts. We need human scale for the first few floors.

Well, it IS the second largest building in Charlotte :rolleyes:

Seriously though, this is a great example of why Charlotte needs strong urban design principles in its urban districts. We need human scale for the first few floors.

I agree. I always thought the Tower of Power was too, husky if u will. I prefer height over girth.

Bikeguy, I can understand your point about the dinky look of the surrounding urbanity of Wells Fargo/Duke Tower. I don't think it's a problem with scale...I think the glaring culprit is that monstrous surface parking lot across the street from the tower. Once that spot is developed, I think that awkward look will evaporate.

Bikeguy, I can understand your point about the dinky look of the surrounding urbanity of Wells Fargo/Duke Tower. I don't think it's a problem with scale...I think the glaring culprit is that monstrous surface parking lot across the street from the tower. Once that spot is developed, I think that awkward look will evaporate.

also i think this is already faring a lot better at the street level than most of our large towers (we'll have to wait and see what actually goes in there business-wise, hopefully it's not all eaten up by a massive lobby). it makes the surrounding buildings looks small from the angle in that shot, but standing on Tryon the Mint, Bechtler, AACC, and Duke Energy Tower all seem to have equal presence.

I flew to Chicago a couple days ago (where I am now, and let me tell you I am excited about the Taste of Chicago!) and while at the airport I decided to walk around since I had a good hour before my flight. Walking down to the E concourse I believe - whatever the regional concourse is - there is a great view of this tower. It is by far the most prominent building in the skyline from that angle. When I fly back on Friday I will try and remember to get a picture from there.

It is by far the most prominent building in the skyline from that angle. When I fly back on Friday I will try and remember to get a picture from there.

Indeed it is. This example is a couple of weeks old, though:

3607328992_49fa5b8424_o.jpg

Looks like both the braces under the "handle" have been removed:

3672901042_d032edb3bd_o.jpg

Do you have any other pictures of a plane flying infront of the skyline? It's an amazinggg picture. I'm just not a fan (At all) of an US Airways 737 in the new colors. I love the US colors on all their aircraft except the 737 and A330-300.

Do you have any other pictures of a plane flying infront of the skyline? It's an amazinggg picture. I'm just not a fan (At all) of an US Airways 737 in the new colors. I love the US colors on all their aircraft except the 737 and A330-300.

How about Lufthansa A330? Taken on March 29th.

3403796974_ac2f9004b4_o.jpg

Was getting on 85N at Little Rock today and when you get to the top of the acceleration lane, the Wells building just pops out. The building is huge from that view! I wish it were about 70 floors, but even at its current height it is a powerful building.

What direction is "ahead"? BOA and Hearst look the same from all directions, as do some of the boxy towers (e.g., 400 S. Tryon). Then there are some towers where the broad side faces one direction (Carillon, Three Wachovia) while for others, the broad side faces the opposite direction (Charlotte Plaza, NASCAR Plaza). One Wachovia and Duke Energy Center just make the skyline a bit more multidimensional with the way they're oriented, which is a good thing.

Archived