Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it hasn't mysteriously stopped. There has been a slowdown on the exterior though b/c there is a lot of custom welding that has to be done up towards the top of the handle (there was an article in the O about that this week). That is supposed to wrap up at the end of October. They are actively fitting the floors, about one every 4 days.

The handle is becoming a very prominent feature in the skyline now. Yesterday my friend and I were driving south down 29 in Concord and as we hit the crest of the hill next to S&D coffee I noted to my friend that you could see straight through the handle even from that distance and he instantly knew what I was talking about. I'm really impressed with how this building turned out. Hopefully the lighting scheme will be bright enough to be seen from a distance as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed they have the top of the handlebar lit up with the alternating color LEDS. Only the side facing 277 is lit up...so if you are downtown tonight make sure and check it out!

In case you can't see it tonight, I took a video. It's a little shaky - I was zoomed in, but you get the idea...

Wow! That is cool. I wonder if its going to be like that all the time or one solid color but change every now and then.

I suspect solid and change once in a while. Probably just testing all colors now.

Or it may change gradually through the night. That's pretty cool. Speed Channel HQ has interior lights that do that. They just gradually change color throughout the day.

So where are the lights, on the handlebar, or shining on it? I don't see any on it.

I think there are going to be lights on the angles also. There are dots there that are probably junction boxes, spacing is the same as the verticals.

As I was listening to NPR on my way to work this morning, they were reporting on the new lights. Looks like it will be done tastefully, but they're plan is to offer something unique in the Charlotte skyline. They mentioned lighting it up blue for Panther games, candy cane colors for Christmas, etc. I'm happy to finally see some color in the skyline and hope that they put on some sort of display more often than not.

As I was listening to NPR on my way to work this morning, they were reporting on the new lights. Looks like it will be done tastefully, but they're plan is to offer something unique in the Charlotte skyline. They mentioned lighting it up blue for Panther games, candy cane colors for Christmas, etc. I'm happy to finally see some color in the skyline and hope that they put on some sort of display more often than not.

Agreed. I like it when the BoA tower changes the crown lighting, but it doesn't happen often enough.

Agreed. I like it when the BoA tower changes the crown lighting, but it doesn't happen often enough.

DEC lighting is obviously automated, BofA CC is probably not.

So it should make for some very interesting lighting schemes. It would be very cool if they could do something when we score at home night games. Like flash or do a chasing pattern. That would be the talk of the NFL!

Archived