Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe during Pride week next year it'll be lit up rainbow colors :)

Eh, I'm not sure I would like it. If it was a governmental building - I would 100% not like it. But, Duke may do as they please I suppose :)

This building is turning out amazing! I'm really loving the queen city :camera: . I love the lights to.

Just a quick cell-snap from the west end of the stadium at today's Fan Fest. This sucker is quite the center piece.

10896586973_ORIG.jpg

From this angle, wouldn't it be cool if, during a night game, the building had certain windows lit up to look like a mean Panther face looking down on the action?

From this angle, wouldn't it be cool if, during a night game, the building had certain windows lit up to look like a mean Panther face looking down on the action?

The exterior will actually be lit up blue for home games. A few pages back there was a video of different lights being tested.

For some unknown reason its not online, but in the print edition of the O this morning (D Sect.), it was mentioned that the lights will go all the way up the sides, up the diagonals (they called them the 'gutters'-I think that's what they meant) and across the handle.

They definitely made reference to special lighting for Panthers night home games.

In many people's minds, the tower is nothing much architecturally. But what a brilliant idea to create a light show on the building. I wonder if the concept was developed early on in the building's planning, or was thought of later on.

I agree with what others are saying. When Panther games are going on, the light show should be fabulous.

There was an article in the O the other day. I can't remember who wrote it, but they suggested leaving the handle unclad, just open trusses like it is now and light it up Panther Blue internally or with floods or something. I thought that was a pretty cool idea.

^I think that's a horrible idea.

Agreed, they did that with the RSA Battlehouse tower in Mobile and it looks nowhere near as good as the renderings, and honestly it just looks unfinished.

I don't like the idea of the unfinished handle. I'd prefer to see a finished handle lit up with white lights - a bright horizontal bar glowing above the tower, with the colored lights going up the sides.

While I think it would look good at night if properly lit, I have to admit it probably would look unfinished during the day.

The unfinished look is not bad when it's designed that way from the start. Bank of America in Atlanta and RSA Tower in Mobile are, to me, good examples of how it can be done tastefully. However, in this case it would involve changing the design of the structure from an engineering and architectural standpoint. I think that this tower is not the place for the exoskeleton look... I am not opposed to some future tower incorporating the concept though.

The unfinished look is not bad when it's designed that way from the start. Bank of America in Atlanta and RSA Tower in Mobile are, to me, good examples of how it can be done tastefully. However, in this case it would involve changing the design of the structure from an engineering and architectural standpoint. I think that this tower is not the place for the exoskeleton look... I am not opposed to some future tower incorporating the concept though.

The crown of the BOA tower in Atlanta is cool, but that needle-looking spire thing is awful, at least during the day.

The crown of the BOA tower in Atlanta is cool, but that needle-looking spire thing is awful, at least during the day.

I agree. I had always heard it was because they had run out of money. True or not, I think it is bad publicity when a large portion of the pubic thinks your tower looks the way it does because you didn't have money to finish it.

I agree. I had always heard it was because they had run out of money. True or not, I think it is bad publicity when a large portion of the pubic thinks your tower looks the way it does because you didn't have money to finish it.

Might be urban legend, but I was thinking they added it to be taller than BOA CC in Charlotte. Back then it was still Sovran, wasn't it?

I would bet money that the reason they added the top to that tower in Atlanta at that time was because Big Bad Atlanta didn't want to be 2nd to little old Charlotte in the tallest building catagory.

If I knew where to look around that time back then, I think I could actually find a Quote from someone running that bank that said just that!

Archived