Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great shots JayGee... Some of my favs. I just realized that I could never be in construction though by looking at the guys on the scaffolding... The thought of falling 800 feet to the ground just sends chills down my spine :cold:

You and me both!

Incredible photos JayGee! It appears they are starting to wrap the skin on the angled beams. Hopefully this will be done before Panther's season. My seat faces that building and it will be a nice view.

I'm not an expert, but I'm thinking that the exterior skin should be done by September... They may still be working on the areas where the cranes are attached, but I suspect the handle portion will be done.

Anybody heard about a topping out ceremony? The first crane is set to start coming down Friday. I would imagine, if it hasn't happened yet, it would happen within the next week or so. Unfortunately we don't have Doug Smith to cover these things any more.

Anybody heard about a topping out ceremony? The first crane is set to start coming down Friday. I would imagine, if it hasn't happened yet, it would happen within the next week or so. Unfortunately we don't have Doug Smith to cover these things any more.

I haven't heard as such. Though, you would think that one of the most prominent buildings to go up in the Charlotte skyline would be worthy of one. I did see not too long ago where the new ballpark for the Minnesota Twins had an official ceremony for the last steel beam to be put in place.

I haven't heard as such. Though, you would think that one of the most prominent buildings to go up in the Charlotte skyline would be worthy of one. I did see not too long ago where the new ballpark for the Minnesota Twins had an official ceremony for the last steel beam to be put in place.

The Nascar Hall of Fame had one as well, I would think the Power Tower/Pole would have a topping out ceremony as well!

The Nascar Hall of Fame had one as well, I would think the Power Tower/Pole would have a topping out ceremony as well!

The Observer even had mention of the topping out party for little 440 S. Tryon back in March I think it was. Maybe they are going to pour that last floor first?

I've heard a rumor that the topping out ceremony is tomorrow (Wednesday), anybody have any info?

I did a quick search and came across the last article Dougie did about DEC and it looks like he said in there it was scheduled for June 17. That's probably where it came from.

Those guys are idiots, but it was definitely worth their risk. I'm not a fan of the fisheye lens, but they are still awesome pictures.

It's also somewhat refreshing to know that I'm not the only person who has thought about how easy it would be to break into these sites... particularly the Vue.

On the one, he is hanging upside down! OMG, talk about nuts!

This is the same guy that built the construction barrel monster in Raleigh. He has scaled buildings all over the US, I read his blog every once in a while to see what crazy antics he's up to.

This is the same guy that built the construction barrel monster in Raleigh. He has scaled buildings all over the US, I read his blog every once in a while to see what crazy antics he's up to.

The monster is actually pretty cool. I hope the 'authorities' have a sense of humor and don't come down on him. I haven't seen the outcome.

Speaking of security in uptown building, Ive noticed that some office buildings don't have ANY security it seems. You can walk right in and go up the elevator to whatever floor you need.....was kinda creepy actually.

Eh, when I was younger I walked right into HQ of NCNB (big black building) rode the elevator all the way up to the top, and walked around. Someone asked if they could help me and I said I just wanted to check the view out. They took me into a corner office and let me stare out the windows.

I'm guessing things are different these days.

...and yes, that dude is NUTS.

Archived