Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

4) There will be 38,000 sq ft of retail. Tenants include a coffee shop, upscale bar/lounge, art gallery, fitness center (wasn't the Y supposed to go here?), food market, and signature restaurant that will open next fall.

seems like a really decent amount, right? i've been trying to look and get an idea of the retail units for a while, but a paranoid part of me was still afraid it would be almost all lobby. great news.

i'm wondering if any of this is oriented to the alley between Duke Energy and the Mint. if that is also retail space on the Mint's Church st. side, it looks like it will be taking advantage of the alley, and if the DEC side is lined with retail as well it could be a very cool narrow pedestrian-only strip.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for taking the time to post the video. I have to say that I was also fascinated by the go karts.

Well InitialD's DEC video was better but he didn't have the go-karts! :)

That was in Indianland, track closed, it's probably part of Sun City now. Or at least close enough that the residents would complain about the noise!

4) There will be 38,000 sq ft of retail. Tenants include a coffee shop, upscale bar/lounge, art gallery, fitness center (wasn't the Y supposed to go here?), food market, and signature restaurant that will open next fall.
I sometimes work out at the Y in the "jukebox" Wachovia building. One of the guys that work there (the uptown Y) told me last month that the Y is "holding off" on its lease at the new tower. According to him (the Y employee), it has to do with the economy and fewer memberships at Y locations in the metro area.

The O has posted a time lapse video of the lights (although the clouds passing the crane lights is more interesting)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/420/index...edia_id=5492080

Yeah the clouds brushing past the top of the tower are just awesome! All those neon lights remind me of those bioluminescent jellyfish of the deep sea. I hope they only use one color at a time and not the random mix we see here. Still...pretty cool either way!

Yeah the clouds brushing past the top of the tower are just awesome! All those neon lights remind me of those bioluminescent jellyfish of the deep sea. I hope they only use one color at a time and not the random mix we see here. Still...pretty cool either way!

I was thinking the same thing. I hope they don't use some rainbow colored light show. I can't wait to see what it looks like at night when it's done. I think Charlotte is beautiful at night because a lot of the buildings are lit up.

I sometimes work out at the Y in the "jukebox" Wachovia building. One of the guys that work there (the uptown Y) told me last month that the Y is "holding off" on its lease at the new tower. According to him (the Y employee), it has to do with the economy and fewer memberships at Y locations in the metro area.

Not that I doubted your info, but now The Observer is confirming what you posted. Good scoop! The article is here.

Thanks for posting the video. I like the light show! Looks like fun, and I agree with others---the cloud show in the vid was even more exciting than the light show. (it's terribly difficult to out do Mother Nature-lol)

They probably already have a bunch of sequence programs ready to go. I think it would be really cool if, for one night as a demo, they sequence thru all of the different programs continuously, so if you watch if for a half hour or hour, you can see them all.

My guess is that typically the whole building will be lit in one shade and slowly morph to another color....like the Wachovia building in Miami.....for Bobcats games constant Orange, and Panther's games constant blue, and maybe more adventuresome stuff during special events.

My guess is that typically the whole building will be lit in one shade and slowly morph to another color....like the Wachovia building in Miami.....for Bobcats games constant Orange, and Panther's games constant blue, and maybe more adventuresome stuff during special events.

You're probably right, but how cool would it be, if Carolina gets some night games, to flash the lights or something when we score!

I have long been disappointed that they planned to fill so much of the street retail space with the YMCA, so I am kind of glad for that reason that they will no longer be going in there. Hopefully there will be some work to fill it with an actual retailer rather than it staying empty for a long time.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/kerryhall...ory/876392.html

Archived