First Horizon Park - Home of the Nashville Sounds

RemarkableHomes

they couls move home plate into the western corner and still get a good view of downtown. in fact people on the 3rd base side would have a great view, people on teh other side would lose some but not all. and that would get much closer to the right direction. 

http://www.flipflopflyin.com/flipflopflyball/info-orientation.html

here is a reference for all MLB parks, the direction teh batter is facing.

Yeah, that doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Thanks for the link by the way! That was interesting to see all the directions for the MLB parks.

Agreed. 

I would rather have it squared to the street, anyways. I think the current alignment is a terrible waste of space.

Speaking of wasted space, do you happen to know what the red shaded areas are supposed to be in the render?

BXXi_S1CQAA1QfM.jpg

Renders from the PDF.

SD1_zps6c693dc7.jpg

SD2_zps66d478c1.jpg

SD3_zps4a3b24da.jpg

SD4_zps5e68fb85.jpg

And a comment: When a line from home plate to second base is on an east-west axis with Home plate being on the west side, a pitcher, standing on the mound facing home plate, will have his left arm on his south side. Hence the name, 'Southpaw".

And....., the State General Services IT Division built a new IT building which has better flood protection and security several years ago near Smyrna . It was intended to house the current staff located in the 5th Avenue building. So that may be in their plans.

Speaking of wasted space, do you happen to know what the red shaded areas are supposed to be in the render?

Probably concessions and restrooms and administrative offices.

Edited by PHofKS

That's just an odd shape in the outfield. I wonder if that curvy warning track is going to affect play any?

I suspect it's a nod to the original Sulphur Dell ballpark which had a quirky incline in right field.   Outfielders would actually have to run up (or down) the hill to field fly balls.   One of the more unusual parks, for sure.     You can see the slope in this photo.  

Sulphur_Dell.jpg

• Like 1

I don't see any outfielders in that picture? And wow that is quite the slope

Ah, but if you squint you will see the right fielder standing up on top of the hill at the fence.    Playing pretty deep (high?) for a right handed batter.  I would have loved to have seen a game there to watch how the fielders navigated that slope.    Sulphur Dell wasn't the only park that had a sloping outfield, btw, although it may have been one of the most extreme.    Before the Green Monster at Fenway, there used to be a pronounced slope in the left field corner.    Seems strange to us now, doesn't it?     

• Like 1

I'm just happy this is all privately funded and no tax dollars are being allocated for this project.

None other than the $55Million that was included in this year's capital expenditures budget for land acquisition and construction.  I hope that the Sounds don't need any more taxpayer money than that.

So in one of his tweets he mentioned that the stadium was going to cost $150 million. I thought the stadium itself was going to be $40 million.

Per today's NBJ, that figure is the all-in number, which includes the investments by the Sounds and Embrey for the residential and retail components.     Metro's portion seems to now be $65M, which may include the land swaps, infrastructure and parking, but hard to tell.     I agree previous articles had used the $40M figure, which may be just the stadium itself.  

Just going off the renders, but this new Sounds stadium doesn't even seem to be anywhere near as nice as a lot of other AAA ball parks either proposed or under construction. Why does is seem like we always get the hand me down stuff like BRT lol! I understand budget constraints and what not, but that doesn't seem to be a problem with other cities. I dono, you would just think if your gonna do something, do it right or don't do it all.

Richmond's proposed park.

52805d2a4450e.preview-768.jpg

Charlotte's park (under construction)

bbt-ballpark-rendering_1.jpg

bbt-ballpark-rendering_2.jpg

El Paso

51bdd8f8ad86c.preview-300.jpg

I'll throw in the Memphis ball park for good measure.

autozoneweb*600.jpg

• Like 1

Agreed with Frank... and you can't go off the flashy renderings either... I mean, look at the spotlights in those drawings!!! LOL  I do agree that the size of the stadium sounds like a step backwards, given the current Greer stadium is larger.  

And isn't it interesting that the South's second tier cities are putting baseball downtown, at the same time that top-tier Atlanta announces the Braves are moving to the suburbs?

Edited by MLBrumby

Yeah, I guess you guy's are right. I'll reserve final judgement until I see some more detailed renders come out. I'm not expecting anything fantastic though with a $40 million dollar budget. I really do hope it turns out nice honestly, I'm just not seeing it at this point.

Agreed with Frank... and you can't go off the flashy renderings either... I mean, look at the spotlights in those drawings!!! LOL  I do agree that the size of the stadium sounds like a step backwards, given the current Greer stadium is larger.  

And isn't it interesting that the South's second tier cities are putting baseball downtown, at the same time that top-tier Atlanta announces the Braves are moving to the suburbs?

Sounds like the Braves are about to make the same mistake many teams/cities did in the 50's-80's.  I didn't know anything about this; Turner Field seemed to be a really nice stadium, and it's hard to believe it's going on twenty years old.

Sounds like the Braves are about to make the same mistake many teams/cities did in the 50's-80's.  I didn't know anything about this; Turner Field seemed to be a really nice stadium, and it's hard to believe it's going on twenty years old.

Turner Field is in the middle of a blighted, crime-ridden area of Atlanta that many avoid. There is plenty of acres but no oner wants to build any retail or other entertainment because there is zero chance of a return on investment. Add to that TF needs 150M-200M just in upgrades to stay open not to mention the $$$$ needed to enhance the fan experience and the problems are insurmountable.