SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

16 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This is what I envision for the area. 

CkSMaa0UkAUAHiN.jpg

Portion of Tremont from Tryon to Camden has a great opportunity to develop into a very nice walking spot/"linear" park, connecting the office and Design Center.  

Question though, is there not a demand for a hotel over condos? Question two, I was under the impression that 7 floors was kinda the standard build height; is there a particular reason for 6 floors across the board?

27 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

Portion of Tremont from Tryon to Camden has a great opportunity to develop into a very nice walking spot/"linear" park, connecting the office and Design Center.  

Question though, is there not a demand for a hotel over condos? Question two, I was under the impression that 7 floors was kinda the standard build height; is there a particular reason for 6 floors across the board?

These would be pretty small parcels compared to other areas in SouthEnd, so It'd be 4 floors of residential over 1 floor podium. Its also pretty far from the SouthEnd "Core" 

2 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

75 feet high is the more critical number from a code perspective. When you go above that, several code requirements are triggered that become more costly.

• Like 1

Just now, mfowler12 said:

Design Center redevelopment - is there a risk that Pike's is displaced?

Theres always a risk, depending on how long Pike's lease is for. Only will time will tell. Honestly all of this is just speculation until Ram makes a formal announcement. I can show you 3 completely different plans that have been proposed on this land in the past decade, all very similar to one another. So until RAM makes a formal announcement... we will continue to wonder. 

8 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Theres always a risk, depending on how long Pike's lease is for. Only will time will tell. Honestly all of this is just speculation until Ram makes a formal announcement. I can show you 3 completely different plans that have been proposed on this land in the past decade, all very similar to one another. So until RAM makes a formal announcement... we will continue to wonder. 

I guess I was just wondering if it is in play, and it seems it most certainly is. Recalling the response to the CM being kicked out, I'm interested to see what the response to Pike's would be.

Whatever happens at Brookhill, there would need to be some serious Traffic calming features incorporated into South Tryon. Would be very important to connect to the rest of the South End. I commute on South Tryon daily and it's a fairly congested/high speed area.

Is this where that development is going for that Texas company moving here? Anyway...love the photos. That area is pretty dense!

16 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

Clear Sky Images has a new photo gallery focusing on the land that was just partially cleared for the RAM development. Link: http://photos.clearskyimages.com/2016-06-100-w-worthington-aerials

2 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Is this where that development is going for that Texas company moving here? Anyway...love the photos. That area is pretty dense!

Nope, Thats going at Tryon and Camden intersection. Its amazing, that area is just going to get denser. 

Is there anybody on this thread with kids that lived away from SouthEnd and then moved to SouthEnd? My wife and I lived in SouthEnd for two years and absolutley love that area. We Currently live in the FortMill area but visit SouthEnd almost every weekend. We were renting in Silos SouthEnd previously but wanted more space for less. We have a beautiful 2800sqft home in the FortMill area and pay less in mortgage than we did for rent at Silos. 

We realize if we move back to SouthEnd we would get a lot less space and pay more for motgage but the livelyness and active lifestyle of SouthEnd we miss. Our situation won't always include us since we plan to have a family. I heard the schools zoned for SouthEnd arent the best. I wondered if there are any current parents on this thread that live in SouthEnd and how do you feel about the space constraints and schools in the area. Any information would be much aprpeciated. 

Plus, I hate that its hard to find new HOUSE construction in the area. There are new condos and townhomes but not really new stand alone homes. 

schools in Southend are a mixed bag. The section that is bounded byWest blvd, 77 and 277 is in the top notch Dilworth Elementary and AG Middle district. Unfortunately that same area is not in the Myers Park HS district (while the southern portion of Southend is in the MP district). 

http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/StudentPlacement/Pages/BoundaryMaps.aspx

On 5/5/2016 at 10:55 AM, Prodev said:

Looks like this building is a goner. Presubmittal scheduled to demo both of the buildings shown above and create a surface parking lot. Yay!

I didn't think it was possible/allowed to have a parking lot as a principal use in an urban zoning district?

On 6/6/2016 at 8:26 AM, Jayvee said:

RAM actually has some big (and well designed) plans for this site. Personally, I don't think these buildings are all that interesting, or in a good spot to begin with. Not a big loss to me, in the grand scheme of what RAM has planned. 

Just because its old and small doesn't mean it doesn't have value. Another new/modern high rise or midrise (whatever) will not be able to replicate the character than an old building has. But, such is life in South End. As is typical with urban development, let's destroy the things that make the place unique in the name of progress.

47 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I didn't think it was possible/allowed to have a parking lot as a principal use in an urban zoning district?

Just because its old and small doesn't mean it doesn't have value. Another new/modern high rise or midrise (whatever) will not be able to replicate the character than an old building has. But, such is life in South End. As is typical with urban development, let's destroy the things that make the place unique in the name of progress.

The buildings are going to alleviate parking problems that will occur while they construct their parking deck. Once the parking deck is finished there is a development planned on the space, me and one of my contacts think it'll be office space for Balfour Beatty, Revolution Media, and others allowing the entire Plaza building to go Retail. Unfortunately RAM is being very hush, hush on their plans. Something like 1616 Center. The rest of the site should have Hotel and Residential as well.

Many years ago that building at Bland and Winnifred with the roll up door had a welding business and the owner was able to cut down some fire dogs for me. The area around there had printing, and other industrial uses of many kinds. This is now the "neighborhood" welder at the dead end of Graham Street:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2232576,-80.8563686,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNks5l1L6zp0jQowEcwKHEw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Both business black owned

• Like 1