SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

How silly is that we are debating the pros and cons of whether a strip joint should remain in the middle of one of the fastest-growing cities in the nation?

IMO it will be demoed in due time, as it should be.

ETA:  if removing a strip club makes the city more sterile, i'm all for it . . . .

Edited by alb1no panther
  • Like 1

On July 21, 2016 at 9:06 PM, Jayvee said:

With all the bad news figured we can all use some good. 26k of retail. Pepsi site. It's lovely. More details soon 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Good stuff..... We were one of those on the 1500 Camden block that relocated over near here. Also know a few others that are looking this way as well. 

1 hour ago, joshuas said:

I missed that rendering the first time it was posted by Jayvee. I intentionally didn't look back at the reactions. I almost never seem to agree with people's opinions on new buildings (esp. apartment projects), but I like this. I always feel the need to qualify my opinion about this stuff by saying I know almost nothing about architecture and I often overlook good design practices until someone points it out to me. Still...this looks nice to me and the retail will be great sooner or later.

2 hours ago, joshuas said:

When I see yet another mega sized project going on South Blvd all I can think about is how I already hold my breath while in the left lane envisioning one head on collision after the other, especially around that area. How in the world will South Blvd handle all these extra cars? And there will be more cars, train or not.

16 hours ago, kermit said:

^ and not increasing density for fear of congestion only begets sprawl.

Don't get me wrong, I much rather have density than sprawl, I'm just saying, South Blvd is pretty rough already and I don't see how the street will ever be or can ever be improved. Unless maybe it's changed like how 7th is with switchable lanes during peak times. I don't know. But again, the building is pretty  cool. It's still kind of mind blowing how the area has changed and still changing.

3 hours ago, NY+SC=NC said:

Don't get me wrong, I much rather have density than sprawl, I'm just saying, South Blvd is pretty rough already and I don't see how the street will ever be or can ever be improved. Unless maybe it's changed like how 7th is with switchable lanes during peak times. I don't know. But again, the building is pretty  cool. It's still kind of mind blowing how the area has changed and still changing.

This isn't specifically directed at you but I gotta ask the question, why do we (as a society) have the expectation that roads should be free flowing? The corollary is why do we reflexively elevate the needs of drivers above bikers, peds and neighborhood residents? 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, kermit said:

This isn't specifically directed at you but I gotta ask the question, why do we (as a society) have the expectation that roads should be free flowing? The corollary is why do we reflexively elevate the needs of drivers above bikers, peds and neighborhood residents? 

Living on East Blvd, I get into this argument about the road diet a LOT with people who do NOT live on East Blvd but are outraged that it sometimes takes a couple minutes longer to get down during rush hour. 

South Blvd is much more crucial and I know it can't be dieted, but I think density is going to naturally change driving habits. People naturally start driving slower once you get past New Bern where development is denser with less setback off the road. Any given new apartment building is kind of a drop in the bucket in terms of its contribution to traffic volume on a road like South, compared to the large amounts of people commuting from farther down. 

• Like 1

In just the past three years (or so) there have been three South Boulevard stop light intersections added at Lexington, Iverson and Poindexter and there could be another at Caldwell when the big project there on the County housing site is done. This has made a noticeable difference in the speed of vehicle traffic. With more in/out traffic from these new housing centers this will also slow traffic. South Tryon is a natural alternative unless 277 access is the destination.

The question about "free flowing" traffic is a good one when considering streets within a mile or two of 277. I live a block from East Boulevard and consider the diet a success though I was skeptical beforehand.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a road re-design that eschews more and more endless lights, and finds a way to change the physical nature of the road to encourage slower speeds (anyone ever heard of rumble patches? Here's one below). I don't even necessarily prescribe this for South Blvd, but we've got to start thinking outside the box in terms of road diets.

We can't just keep looking at it in terms of "add/remove a lane here, add a traffic light or stop sign there."

Camden-Park.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

In just the past three years (or so) there have been three South Boulevard stop light intersections added at Lexington, Iverson and Poindexter and there could be another at Caldwell when the big project there on the County housing site is done. 

Wasn't the point of your post so this is just a quibble, but I think the Iverson light was added with Lowe's and the Poindexter light has been there since before I moved to clt (9 years). 

• Like 2

Re: South Blvd road re-designs. Does anyone see any reason why something like a raised intersection cannot be installed at various places on South Blvd, and roads like it? It encourages cars to slow down to a safe speed, while still allowing them to go a fast enough speed, without destroying their undercarriages. It also allows nice crosswalks for pedestrians to feel more comfortable above grade.

This is a really good one in downtown Matthews on a four-lane road, at a three-way intersection. I feel like these could be put anywhere and have a good effect, whether you have a traffic light or not:

Matthews_raised_Intersection.png

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Former Citizen Looking Back - We need to increase the walkability of the neighborhood. We 'ALREADY' offer direct transit to the CBD by Rail and Bus. The second talking point, I believe is the city needs to implement some standard of development, the current laws allow for too much leeway. You should have to incorporate ground floor retail and have a minimum threshold of quality in build out to be built.

15 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

So this was just on twitter... 

okay... thats freaking phenomenal. Just wish it was on another block as others have said.

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

So this was just on twitter... 

Let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly...this is what's going where Common Market is now? Because if so, I'll go over there close that place down today if I have to.

Edited by jednc

I would be thrilled if this were going literally anywhere else, but I'm still seething at the redevelopment of this block and don't really like what this does to the vibe of the area (I thought the street level might at least attempt to replicate a bit of the "cozy" feel that exists there now). Put this at Morehead & Tryon and it would be perfect. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nonillogical said:

I would be thrilled if this were going literally anywhere else, but I'm still seething at the redevelopment of this block and don't really like what this does to the vibe of the area (I thought the street level might at least attempt to replicate a bit of the "cozy" feel that exists there now). Put this at Morehead & Tryon and it would be perfect. 

I had the same first reaction -- much too formal and monumental for the former industrial district.

Despite thumbing their nose at context I am pleased they put some effort into it and we don't have any efs yet.

Edited by kermit

Aesthetically, the tower elevations are lovely and the massing is sharp.

But once again, the street level is wildly out of scale for a nice pedestrian street. It looks like the incredibly uncomfortable 1BAC plaza at the corner of 5th and College. The flat "pancake" roof between the street level portion and the tower portion feels like they got to the street level and just didn't know how to make the transition between their lovely tower and the pedestrian world.

Closer renderings or more Camden-oriented renderings might reveal a little more finely tuned design at a more human scale - and I'd like to give DudaPaine the benefit of the doubt - but only time will tell. 

1bac.png

Edited by tozmervo
added picture

It looks like something Benny Hinn would build. I thought they were attempting to blend in and be an addition to the street level here? I know this is only one rendering here but this looks like it does nothing to be a part of the street level vibe that already exists on Camden. Instead this screams "screw your bricks and walkable charm, we're going to plop down a glass cathedral that couldn't look more out of place on this block".

Don't get me wrong, I do like it somewhat, I just echo everyone else here in saying not on this lot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

It looks like something Benny Hinn would build. I thought they were attempting to blend in and be an addition to the street level here? I know this is only one rendering here but this looks like it does nothing to be a part of the street level vibe that already exists on Camden. Instead this screams "screw your bricks and walkable charm, we're going to plop down a glass cathedral that couldn't look more out of place on this block".

Don't get me wrong, I do like it somewhat, I just echo everyone else here in saying not on this lot.

ArtPlaza.jpeg

Corner of Tryon and Camden

Screen-shot-2015-11-18-at-9.24.23-PM.png

Camden

Screen-shot-2015-11-18-at-9.25.01-PM.png

S. Tryon

Screen-shot-2015-11-18-at-9.25.16-PM.png

Park Ave.

Festival.jpeg

Camden Detail Shot.