SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Amos' might have been my least favorite of the local music venues but I figured they might start picking up the slack from some of the closed ones in terms of bookings. This is horrible. The local music scene is on life support right now, and there is almost nowhere for a healthy range of mid-level nationally touring acts to play. When I first moved here, every artist I liked skipped Charlotte in favor of Asheville, Carrboro, Athens, Columbia, etc. Then when Chop Shop was around and Tremont and Visulite and Doubledoor were booking very diverse shows we had 3 or so very, very good years, and I went to a show almost every weekend. Now I'm lucky if I find 4 shows to go to in a year without traveling. 

I would like to be optimistic that the pent-up demand has to be high enough now to get a new mid-size venue opened, but I'm not. Chop Shop hasn't found a new space or has stopped looking, bookings at Neighborhood Theater haven't improved, and we don't yet know the reason for Amos' closing. You'd think a large established music venue right at a lightrail stop would be an asset worth some attempt to save, but not in this city. 

^In their Facebook post, the owner made mention of parking being an issue and that was the main reason they were closing (I still think there is more to the story, maybe someone gave him an offer he couldn't refuse?). I never paid that close attention to Amos' parking situation, mostly because I walk there from somewhere else when I've attended a show. Is it it that bad? Are any new projects coming in that's taking their parking away? 

Here's what confuses me though. It's not like the land is up for redevelopment. The bottle cap owns the parking lot next door and they're never selling. Fowler building isn't going anywhere, either is the gin mill /tavern on the tracks. 

The amos plot is too small to actually develop anything on. So it tells me the margins just got too thin (owning a music club is a terrible biz to be in) and he wanted to hang it up and retire. Yes parking definitely sucked there and with HD supply and DFA eliminating it it's a challenge but not insurmountable. I think he just is done. Most definitely sucks but I don't think it's a result of DIRECT development (obviously the surrounding areas development impacted)

How are we complaining about parking when Amos' is ON THE DAMN LIGHTRAIL LINE.  The very thing that has brought such a boon to the area vis a vis interconnectedness and accessibility is now being said to have killed off a business because it has ultimately affected the . . . . parking?

No, the music business sucks, the land is in a good location, and evidently the guy was old and wanted to retire.  To blame it on the parking?  That's just saving face [or getting one last crack in] depending on how you look at it.

• Like 1

It seems like if there is no imminent development here and the building is going to remain, that someone else could easily revive the venue (or rebrand it), if they just get a decent booking company. Everyone is right, Amos' hasn't been fun to go to in a while because outside of a bigger show every 2 months or so, most of their lineup has been laughable, but there's nothing wrong with the building that can't be remedied.

2 minutes ago, mpretori said:

The site will interfere with a shooting range complex development being planned. Wonder which company it will be.

Huh? You can't just drop that on us without some details (and I hope its not true)!

41 minutes ago, HopHead said:

I know some people will really be devastated, but it's only a matter of time before the Uptown Caberet owner gets an offer he can't refuse too. Hate to see that go. It's really the only bit of sleeze left that close to center city. 

That site has AMAZING potential down the line.

Edited by alb1no panther

I'm going to quote @ScottCLT from the bites the dust thread real quick:

"I'm honestly not too upset about this. All that ever seemed to come there were Guns 'N Roses cover bands, Dave Matthews Cover Bands, '80s cover bands, Journey tribute bands, or washed up '80s glam-rock act like Cinderella or Jackyl. I know what you're thinking...."but where will they host midget wrestling tournaments now?"

Amos' went down the hill a long time ago IMHO. Good venue space, don't get me wrong, but their booking team sucks. I haven't been in probably 8 or 9 years because there is simply no band that I want to see that has played there. I work just down the street and what used to be around-the-block lines for shows years ago have turned into 12 people lined up at the door prior to a show.

The building isn't anything to gawk at with its EIFS facade, either. No loss as far as I'm concerned."

I've got to say, I respectfully disagree with this sentiment.  Yes, Amos' acts aren't exactly world class or even mid class.  But I live in a city to be provided with a variety of options at my disposal.  For the same reasons that I think it's great I can hop on the light rail and go see the Hornets or grab an Uber to a Live Nation show at The Filmore; I think it's awesome that I can be a little grimey and walk to see a Bad Fish and stroke a couple bud lights.  Culture doesn't just include high culture.

Plus I dare you to find a more diverse crowd of people in line than a show at Amos'.  At least anywhere near uptown.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ah59396 said:

Culture doesn't just include high culture.

Plus I dare you to find a more diverse crowd of people in line than a show at Amos'.  At least anywhere near uptown.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I didn't mean high culture by all means. I just meant something other than cover bands for the majority of the acts that play there. Give me some local bands with original material, some indie bands not big enough to fill the Fillmore. I'm thinking more along the lines of the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro. That place is a complete dump in a strip mall, but they score some amazing bands. Amos' is a similarly sized venue that is honestly WAY better that The Cat's Cradle. It's just that I never have the slightest bit of interest, aside from a couple shows each years maybe, in anything happening at Amos'.

1 hour ago, JBS said:

Have no idea what this is but I eagerly await the day when the Uptown Cabaret closes...

Why could you possibly feel that way? Does the idea of people having fun in a windowless building past 10:30 annoy you? Do you live next door? Are you a later day saint?

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Why could you possibly feel that way? Does the idea of people having fun in a windowless building past 10:30 annoy you? Do you live next door? Are you a later day saint?

Funny!  I knew my opinion wouldn't be popular with some but I didn't think anyone would really care what I thought.  In order:

1. I'm generally against objectifying women.  Also, victims of sex trafficking are frequently recruited to work in strip clubs.  I think sitting in a dark room with a bunch of horny men ogling naked women is about as bad a time as I can imagine.  I suspect strip clubs increase crime and depress property values also.  Finally, I have a daughter.

2. This question is silly.  The type of building and the time of day are irrelevant. 

3. I don't live next door (it's obvious I live in Weddington).

4. I am neither a later day saint nor a latter day saint.  I don't identify with any denomination and this is not an issue of faith.

Edited by JBS
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, JBS said:

Funny!  I knew my opinion wouldn't be popular with some but I didn't think anyone would really care what I thought.  In order:

1. I'm generally against objectifying women.  Also, victims of sex trafficking are frequently recruited to work in strip clubs.  I think sitting in a dark room with a bunch of horny men ogling naked women is about as bad a time as I can imagine.  I suspect strip clubs increase crime and depress property values also.  Finally, I have a daughter.

2. This question is silly.  The type of building and the time of day are irrelevant. 

4. I am neither a later day saint nor a latter day saint.  I don't identify with any denomination and this is not an issue of faith.

Yours sounds like a reasonable opinion to me.

5 hours ago, JBS said:

Those opinions are fair, however the places that make cities colorful, unique and dynamic are places like Uptown Cabaret. Nothing wrong with Weddington, but thats exactly why downtown Charlotte and Weddington are and should be very different places. The removal of places like UC only further the sterilization of CLT. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, QClifer said:

Does anybody know what is going on next door to macs speed shop? One building was torn down and another has been gutted. Any idea what is being built?  

Mac's purchased all that land and is being all secretive about what they're doing with it.  Hence the question mark spray painted on the old sign.  At least that was the story a waitress there told us a month or two ago.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Those opinions are fair, however the places that make cities colorful, unique and dynamic are places like Uptown Cabaret. Nothing wrong with Weddington, but thats exactly why downtown Charlotte and Weddington are and should be very different places. The removal of places like UC only further the sterilization of CLT. 

I have no objection to such clubs as Uptown Cabaret. I never go, but I like to think that if I ever wanted to go, I would be able to find such a place that isn't a dive. However, I sure wish that the Playboy Clubs would make a comeback. I was a member. I got to look at beautiful women, enjoy drinks, food, and entertainment. We could just class such places up a bit.  

52 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Mac's purchased all that land and is being all secretive about what they're doing with it.  Hence the question mark spray painted on the old sign.  At least that was the story a waitress there told us a month or two ago.

Its not secret. There was an article about it. I just cant find it!

6 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

I swear I read something. I texted the people at CBJ, CO and Agenda that I talk to. Nobody wrote anything. Porter Paint is going to be a second restaurant concept and I think the other one will be... wait for it... additional parking.