SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I'm not thrilled with the garage not being wrapped but I can live with it if they design it well.  My initial impression of the design was disappointment (reminded me of Woodfield project near stadiums) but upon further review I like it.  To some extent, all new projects are going to have common regional architectural themes.  The percentage of white and pink stucco and tile roofed complexes in San Diego probably exceeds the percentage of beige complexes here.  The retail (!), scale, pedestrian experience, etc, make this a much better project than most built in recent years.  Am I right in thinking that this will not be stick-built (I'm counting six stories) or will it be stick-built over the first floor of retail?  Overall, feels like a solid 7 out of 10 to me...  

• Like 2

New Bern could gain some nice retail/mixed use momentum between this site, Sedgefield redevelopment and then on the other side of the tracks with Triple C/new brewery.  Maybe some of the older industrial buildings will sell for redevelopment as well.  Could be a cool area to compliment the activity going on Camden Rd a little north.

huh?

"Dimensional Fund Advisors acquires more property in South End"

Its three acres across Tryon from their existing site. Sounds like they are just going to sit on it for a while (ugh)

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/07/22/dimensional-fund-advisors-acquires-more-property.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2016-07-22&u=jDmEk%2BCKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1469215080&j=75092552

I think they realized their development will increase the value of the adjoining block, and also a way for them to control what/who the future neighbor is.

Seems like a smart investment.  There is nothing there now worth preserving, so I'm indifferent to pleased.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I think they realized their development will increase the value of the adjoining block, and also a way for them to control what/who the future neighbor is.

Seems like a smart investment.  There is nothing there now worth preserving, so I'm indifferent to pleased.

Well I wish they'd just bought and built on that site in the first place then.

I'm in an emotional mood today as its CM's closing party. I also showed visiting friends all around town this weekend, and the Camden block was their favorite part of the whole city. Had to tell them "Yeah...about that..."

24 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

Well I wish they'd just bought and built on that site in the first place then.

I'm in an emotional mood today as its CM's closing party. I also showed visiting friends all around town this weekend, and the Camden block was their favorite part of the whole city. Had to tell them "Yeah...about that..."

Right there with you. Drink to it, it's a gem of a block.

• 3 weeks later...

Camden has been named that as long as I can remember even when SouthEnd was a dangerous rundown area. I remember when this area was full of vacant buildings and just called the north end of South Blvd! It is truly amazing what has transpired in this area even to a Charlotte native that has seen many changes over the years. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Question for the board: How long has Camden Rd had its name? Is it pure coincidence that the Camden brand of apartments is at the terminus of this road at the intersection with Tremont Ave?

Pure coincidence, but it's actually at West, not Tremont

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Pure coincidence, but it's actually at West, not Tremont

31 minutes ago, Niner National said:

It terminates at Tremont right by Pikes, Big Ben's, and The Ashton.

Oh right. I always confuse The Ashton with Camden Grandview at Rail Trail and Morehead, since they both seem similarly luxurious on the exterior.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

In my "history of rail in Charlotte" material, (granted it was fifteen years ago now and from memory) the name Camden was used for the road that paralleled the railway which is the track now for the light rail. This private rail line brought cotton to Charlotte from South Carolina, and Camden, SC was the center of upstate SC cotton culture. An early line of the South Carolina Railroad terminated at Camden for the purpose of cotton shipping. It is hard to imagine now how critical cotton and rail was to a community. Any location in the South without at least one of these factors was doomed. Charlotte became a rail center for shipping and receiving cotton. This could include cotton factors, brokers, graders, shippers, bonders (insurers) and all others involved in the business. Charlotte became an industrial center based on cotton, rather than an entrepot, only later since Charlotte was lacking in the rivers that powered gins, looms and spinning and the mechanized fashioning of cotton.

So the Camden connection was a major source of valuable freight and the street that bordered that line carried the name. At least that is what I was told.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

In my "history of rail in Charlotte" material, (granted it was fifteen years ago now and from memory) the name Camden was used for the road that paralleled the railway which is the track now for the light rail. This private rail line brought cotton to Charlotte from South Carolina, and Camden, SC was the center of upstate SC cotton culture. 

So the Camden connection was a major source of valuable freight and the street that bordered that line carried the name. At least that is what I was told.

That is fascinating!! Thank you for the context!

Atherton mill news: Bonz recently closed and a Halloween store is going into the former By Design location...and the article below states they will be torn down..checked Accela and looks like Lennar is putting something together!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article94876137.html

8-11-2016 4-38-24 PM.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Amos' Southend will close in March of 2017.  FML.

Double Door, Tremont, Amos', Chop Shop.  Sometimes "progress" blows.

We'll have to start listing "what's left" instead of "what's closed" soon enough. Neighborhood Theatre (which has already had a close call), Visulite, Evening Muse...

• Like 1