SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

^ Nope, its not the lot where the three walls are still standing (and the bakery uses it for truck parking). This was the NE corner where Charlotte Scooter was. These buildings:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2120928,-80.8606948,3a,60y,44.86h,76.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj-WqA4pwhKRgj_Hg5WZ0eA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Hawkins.jpg

Edited by kermit

7 hours ago, kermit said:

^ Nope, its not the lot where the three walls are still standing (and the bakery uses it for truck parking). This was the NE corner where Charlotte Scooter was. These buildings:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2120928,-80.8606948,3a,60y,44.86h,76.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj-WqA4pwhKRgj_Hg5WZ0eA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Hawkins.jpg

crap, bye bye to another interesting building. These are not on the most current ram plan I've seen.

1 minute ago, ah59396 said:

My prediction for this site:

Maximum Charlotte suck-age

RAM actually has some big (and well designed) plans for this site. Personally, I don't think these buildings are all that interesting, or in a good spot to begin with. Not a big loss to me, in the grand scheme of what RAM has planned. They have some killer plans for the Design Center, and although their parking deck isn't the best looking thing, RAM actually cares about the area, especially for an out of town company. They are looking to take over their little chunk and compete with Edens down the street in terms of tourist, resident and traveler dollars. 

Just now, Jayvee said:

RAM actually has some big (and well designed) plans for this site. Personally, I don't think these buildings are all that interesting, or in a good spot to begin with. Not a big loss to me, in the grand scheme of what RAM has planned. They have some killer plans for the Design Center, and although their parking deck isn't the best looking thing, RAM actually cares about the area, especially for an out of town company. They are looking to take over their little chunk and compete with Edens down the street in terms of tourist, resident and traveler dollars. 

I hope you're right.  I'm going to keep my expectations as low as humanly possible.  I can't handle the potential disappointment.

Just now, ah59396 said:

I hope you're right.  I'm going to keep my expectations as low as humanly possible.  I can't handle the potential disappointment.

That's not a bad idea. But they have went back to the drawing board on this project for a number of reasons, but I have heard its primarily to maximize retail frontage to the streets. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

This is where the Ram development is going, correct? Do you know how tall and how many stories this project is going to be. Thanks!

27 floors, apartments. Thats all we know concrete. I think we will see additional office, hotel and retail announced. 

32 minutes ago, kermit said:

The UP-Observer echo chamber still works. Ely reports that something is afoot at Brookhill, but there are no specifics

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article81660812.html

That is such a massive swath of land.  Hopefully Spangler and Argos can work out an agreement, but I can foresee plenty of roadblocks.  One question I have is possible uses for the land.  How far out can we keep developing density?  Or will this turn into a Walton Plaza-esque office park given the Tryon corridor?  Anything is better than what is currently there, though.   

3 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

That is such a massive swath of land.  Hopefully Spangler and Argos can work out an agreement, but I can foresee plenty of roadblocks.  One question I have is possible uses for the land.  How far out can we keep developing density?  Or will this turn into a Walton Plaza-esque office park given the Tryon corridor?  Anything is better than what is currently there, though.   

I would love to see a lower density townhouse and single family development like Brightwalk, just northwest of uptown with a mix of uses.

I think the rear portion facing Tremont and Toomey has the best short term potential. That is an area away from Southside Park and Southside homes and closest to Wilmore south of West Boulevard. It faces away from the Humane Society (BARK!) and does not overlook 77. There is a large area on West Tremont that was a former auto salvage yard which will not develop for a long time which further insulates this portion. Office development has come down Tryon to Tremont and can turn the corner effectively.

Just near to this location was my favorite restaurant of all time in Charlotte. I never went there but the concept caused me to swoon. It was a tiny place with a sign that said "The Rib Cage". The doors and windows had bars to complete the effect. Sadly, gone.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2039245,-80.8705896,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s84SxFlBhkUGXeqhP91952w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

27 floors, apartments. Thats all we know concrete. I think we will see additional office, hotel and retail announced. 

Wasn't the general consensus about this was that it was unlikely to happen? Maybe RAM has gothen a little more serious about this one lately? I would imagine we are nearing the end of big project announcements this cycle with the exception of those that are too far along (Tryon Place, etc.) so this would most likely not even be announced for a couple years right?

11 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

Wasn't the general consensus about this was that it was unlikely to happen? Maybe RAM has gothen a little more serious about this one lately? I would imagine we are nearing the end of big project announcements this cycle with the exception of those that are too far along (Tryon Place, etc.) so this would most likely not even be announced for a couple years right?

Initially I said I doubted this project would come to fruition this cycle. After I said that Prodev, I think it was Prodev, said that they were very bullish on this site and it would absolutely see some action this cycle.

And the proof is in the pudding. 

First Reason, they are building a parking deck. Parking isn't actually that big of a problem at Design Center of the Carolinas. The only way it would become a problem is if they were removing the majority of their on site parking for an apartment tower, which is part of the current plans. 

Second Reason, Ram is actively letting office leases expire along the Camden and Tremont frontages. Starting January 1st, 2017, every single space fronting Camden and Tremont in the Plaza Building will be up for lease, leaving only Balfour Beaty and Revolution Media in the building, neither of which have street frontages. The Two spaces in the Courtyard building facing Camden are also for lease. 

Plaza Building Spaces Available with Street Frontage: 26,432 Sq Feet

Courtyard Building Spaces Available with Street Frontage: 8,298 Sq feet

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

It's also to note there is a reason they are letting them expire. Something of the renovate for real retail variety 

Also worth noting. Those buildings that were torn down... Are now included on the map of their property within their marketing guide. Not sure what Yellow indicates. 

Their marketing guide also indicates that there are two additional lots for dense future development.

Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 12.10.24 PM.png

1 minute ago, go_vertical said:

That's great. I'm excited about this one but wasn't really expecting any movement for a while. Does anyone think there will be any opposition if the announced height is around the 25 floor range?

I'm sure there will be neighborhood opposition, but its already zoned for max height.

7 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I would love to see a lower density townhouse and single family development like Brightwalk, just northwest of uptown with a mix of uses.

Frankly, I'd be disappointed in something that looks like Brightwalk (hope no one here lives there, if so, what do I know).  I loved the idea and wanted to love the design but I don't.  I suppose it's better than what was there (that almost has to be the case) but I hope that they build something more interesting (I'd prefer town-homes for this particular property).  This location has so much potential...

Edited by JBS

Just now, JBS said:

Frankly, I'd be disappointed in something that looks like Brightwalk (hope no one here lives there, if so, what do I know).  I loved the idea and wanted to love the design but I don't.  I suppose it's better than what was there (that almost has to be the case) but I hope that they build something more interesting (I'd prefer townhomes to for this particular property).  This location has so much potential...

This is what I envision for the area. 

CkSMaa0UkAUAHiN.jpg

That's how Brightwalk is, higher density on Statesville and toward the future retail/ public space. The single family is all on back streets and fronting the parks. I'm not offended by your statements of Brightwalk but what about it do you not want Brookhill and south side? Just trying to understand is all. 

The RDF plan has residential over retail, more retail, a hotel, office, higher density residential and residential.  That feels very different from Brightwalk, at least as currently built (I ran by it yesterday and see that construction continues though).  I also just don't like the design and layout of the community.  That said, I'm also very unenthused about the mix use development being built on Providence near where I live (Waverly).  I just don't like the look of it but I suspect it will sell/lease quickly.  For the record, I know absolutely nothing about architecture, land use or city planning...I only know what I like.   

• Like 1