Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

News article of the new Duckworth's in Uptown.  It will actually be two separate restaurants, one a typical Duckworth's and the other in the basement called The Cellar at Duckworth's.  Work has already commenced and they are gunning for a January 2015 opening.  

The Cellar at Duckworth's is described as having a "speak-easy" vibe. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/02/24/duckworth-s-grill-taphouse-beer-cellar-planned-for.html

• Like 3

News article of the new Duckworth's in Uptown.  It will actually be two separate restaurants, one a typical Duckworth's and the other in the basement called The Cellar at Duckworth's.  Work has already commenced and they are gunning for a January 2015 opening.  

The Cellar at Duckworth's is described as having a "speak-easy" vibe. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/02/24/duckworth-s-grill-taphouse-beer-cellar-planned-for.html

I came her to post this in excitement!  From the description, it sounds AWESOME.  I can't wait.

You think he'd be willing to sponsor some jerseys and equipment for a local little league hockey team? They aren't very good, but their coach (a local lawyer) has a long background in hockey and really loves the kids. They are a real rag-tag bunch, but very loveable. Their captain, Charlie Conway, has many leadership qualities and I think helping them out would pay dividends in the future for the kids. Plus I think we can all agree we are sick and tired of the Hawks winging the local championship year after year....Am I right!?!?

• Like 3

You think he'd be willing to sponsor some jerseys and equipment for a local little league hockey team? They aren't very good, but their coach (a local lawyer) has a long background in hockey and really loves the kids. They are a real rag-tag bunch, but very loveable. Their captain, Charlie Conway, has many leadership qualities and I think helping them out would pay dividends in the future for the kids. Plus I think we can all agree we are sick and tired of the Hawks winging the local championship year after year....Am I right!?!?

I've heard Conway has a move called The Triple Deke that's pretty unstoppable.

Not much, that article is just a brief interview with Michael Smith. He spoke about the Observer land (it was their cover story today). The land is owned by the Mclatchy pension fund, it sounds like they want to sell sooner rather than later. The price will require something -substantial. The observer will most likely relocate to someplace uptown/southend/morehead. But the Observer is 2 years (?) into a ten year lease so the pension fund would need to buy them out.

The other parcels he mentioned (very non specifically) were the municipal land in second ward and the Hal. Marshall site. It was all really just standard CCCP talk

• Like 1

Currently in Greenville, Sc. Population 60k. Better urban atmosphere and downtown retail district than Charlotte, population 800k. So depressing...

Your point about Greenville's downtown is valid. However, you seem to have picked statistics that are intentionally misleading. Anybody who has visited both cities can say with certainty that Charlotte is not actually anywhere near 13 times as big as Greenville.

South Carolina has had much more restrictive annexation laws. Greenville's (city) population of 60k is more comparable to Atlanta's population of 443k than Charlotte's 775k. Atlanta's official population is just over half of Charlotte's, but everybody knows that Atlanta is actually a bigger city than Charlotte. City populations never tell the whole story. Never have, never will. So I wish people would stop using them as a means of comparing.

Look at MSAs and CSAs for a better comparison.

MSAs

Greenville: 824k

Charlotte: 2.30m

Comparison: Charlotte is 2.8x larger

CSAs

Greenville: 1.14m

Charlotte: 2.44m

Comaprison: Charlotte is 2.1x larger

You will find that in reality, Charlotte is somewhere between 2 and 3 times larger than Greenville. Based on the MSA ratio (Which is probably the most accurate), if Greenville SC were in NC, its population would probably be about 275k - making it the 3rd or 4th largest city in the state, smaller than Charlotte and Raleigh, comparable to Greensboro, and larger than Winston-Salem and Durham.

• Like 2

The point was to show that Greenville is smaller (regardless of which metric you use) yet has what I felt was a more dynamic retail presence in it's downtown.  But yes, you are correct, the MSA's make each city more comparable than the city limits statistics.

CIAA announces deal to keep tournament in Charlotte for 6 more years. Also plans to move conference HQ to Charlotte.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/03/4738312/ciaa-to-stay-in-charlotte-for.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#.UxTpAoV218E

https://twitter.com/dedrickrussell/status/440578863576256512

.@CIAAForLife also announced CIAA headquarters will also move to Charlotte. @WBTV_News pic.twitter.com/Bv5vg4MqT2

Edited by birky
  • Like 3

CIAA announces deal to keep tournament in Charlotte for 6 more years. Also plans to move conference HQ to Charlotte.

Source?? Can't find that info

Nevermind found it. I guess thats cool for the city, arrests and shootings were down this year soooo thats good.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

Source?? Can't find that info

Nevermind found it. I guess thats cool for the city, arrests and shootings were down this year soooo thats good.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/24871890/will-charlotte-keep-the-ciaa

"Last year, the tournament generated an economic impact for the region with $29.86 million in direct spending and $47.17 million in economic impact."

Uhhh, it's definitely more than "cool".

http://www.wbtv.com/story/24871890/will-charlotte-keep-the-ciaa

"Last year, the tournament generated an economic impact for the region with $29.86 million in direct spending and $47.17 million in economic impact."

Uhhh, it's definitely more than "cool". 

yeah that is for sure. probably be more this year, and preliminary reports have crime being down.

Edited by Jayvee