Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/04/charlotte-business-journal-to-relocate-to-nascar.html

This is pretty interesting, wonder what will happen to their current offices. Also interesting to note they're losing about 3200 sq ft

Wish 1100 South Tryon they're leaving could be redeveloped into a larger office building on that site.

True, but God knows that there are plenty of surface lots around it between there and Uptown that are prime for office development....

I agree.  I just really dislike Carson between Tryon and Mint.  We have plenty of empty lots to develop, but to me that stretch is something that will need to be addressed in the future.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

The schematic for the realignment of Johnson Wales Way has finally been posted to the city website.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/epm/Projects/Transportation/Roads/Documents/JWW-4th_Rendering%20on%20Aerial_7-16-12.pdf

I'm excited that they are finally aligning this with Irwin Ave, as that is one of the most frustrating intersections currently.

Also, the are eliminated the "island" at 4th St.  There is going to be a large block of land opened up on the back side of the Doubletree Hotel.  This would be a nice site for a small infill building, to mask the anti-urban backside of the hotel that currently abuts the intersection.  A project there combined with the Gateway West Lofts and the townhomes across 4th could actually turn a pretty poor intersection into something quite urban.

Also, just outside of Uptown, 4th St is currently getting a road diet with a planted median and bike lanes.  The same is about to begin on 5th St as well out to JCSU/5 Points.  4th Feels nicer already, even though it is a construction zone.  That road was way overbuilt.

• Like 1

It is great news, but also absurd how often road lanes get bigger-is-better, but rarely the same for bike or pedestrian infrastructure.   

I'm glad we are finally in an era where they look more comprehensively.

It is funny how large 4th Street is toward Wesley Heights compared to Graham Street, which easily has 10x the traffic.  

It is also an irritating quirk of ownership that the state, when they finally do projects often overbuild or ignore urban context but completely neglect streets that need complete street enhancements or have obsolete designs.   So we have the state trying desperately to make every single road in University city a freeway, but Graham street has no lane width, no sidewalk width, no curb height, no bike anything, but significant usage.    I wish the city would take Graham over and correct the mistakes, at least with safer wider sidewalks.  I'm not sure if a road diet would work because it does have a lot of vehicles, but they should then do it right and buy some right of way while they still can. 

I agree with everything y'all are saying about Graham St. However, I think it would be incredibly difficult to apply a consistent cross section, especially in 4th Ward. The advantage that uptown has is that the network is so good that the majority of cyclists would generally prefer to use adjacent streets. I'd rather see Pine St opened up a little bit through 4th Ward Park to allow for easier through movements for cyclists and pedestrians. 

I think the sidewalk solution would be to swap the back of sidewalk trees with the back of curb sidewalk in 4th ward. Most of those 4-5 blocks could easily accommodate that design. When you get towards Trade and 3rd Ward the only places where it's bad tend to be where there are parking lots, so in all likelihood they will be developed and the sidewalk would get fixed that way.

The major issue with Graham, IMO, is at the Brookshire ramps. There's only sidewalk along one side, and it's horrible for cyclists and pedestrians in general. That's a key connector to the north, and I'd rather that be fixed first before anything else.

• Like 1

The stretch on Graham from 277 to 85 has to be one of the worst experiences you can have driving in Charlotte.  The lanes are narrow, there is heavy use by 18-wheelers, and the utility poles feel like they are inches from the curb.

The stretch on Graham from 277 to 85 has to be one of the worst experiences you can have driving in Charlotte.  The lanes are narrow, there is heavy use by 18-wheelers, and the utility poles feel like they are inches from the curb.

As bad as it is, it's still better than what they did on Statesville. I work on Statesville Ave. and have to tell you, I see, on a good day. perhaps two bikers commuting the stretch where they created the bike lanes out of lanes once used for traffic. (read tractor trailers). Not only is there a fight to merge into the short distance of single-laned road, but there are two bus stops within that stretch. At least put turnouts for the bus stops. As it is now, you'll have cars vying for position before entering the bike stretch, then, once in that stretch you have buses stopping. All this for about 1/2 mile of bike lane. It's a bottle neck. North Charlotte has always been industrial, and, while not sexy, does generate a LOT of revenue for the city.

Late Notice but there is a Lecture on Architecture and Sustainability by Thomas Gentry at 7pm tonight at the UNCC BioInformatics building.

This is part of the NC Science Festival

More Details here:

http://www.ncsciencefestival.org/2014_event/archietctural-agriculture/

Edited by uptownliving

So random question out of curiosity.....What is the deal with the rave lights under the 77 bridge on Trade??? And why is that not on other overhead bridges like the train bridges on 5th and Trade closer to center city....seems to make a LOT more sense to have them there rather than the separation between the ghetto and uptown.

So random question out of curiosity.....What is the deal with the rave lights under the 77 bridge on Trade??? And why is that not on other overhead bridges like the train bridges on 5th and Trade closer to center city....seems to make a LOT more sense to have them there rather than the separation between the ghetto and uptown.

The lights under the I-77 Trade Street bridge is supposed to help make walking/driving into Uptown more of a pleasant experience for college students and others. The city is trying to revitalize Beatties Ford Road and these lights are one step in that direction. You check out "The Ghetto" sometime, there are things there that might surprise you.

The lights under the I-77 Trade Street bridge is supposed to help make walking/driving into Uptown more of a pleasant experience for college students and others. The city is trying to revitalize Beatties Ford Road and these lights are one step in that direction. You check out "The Ghetto" sometime, there are things there that might surprise you.

This was an ASC project that went in a couple years ago and I'd hardly call Wesley Heights a ghetto.  I've walked my dog through Frazier Park and under that pass countless times and have never felt unsafe.  There is an occasional panhandler at the I-77 exit and the gas station can be a bit sketchy on weekend nights (they have security now) but otherwise the area further up Trade to JCS is much cleaner and nicer than you might expect.

http://asccharlotte.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/passing-through-light-connects-communities/

• Like 2

This was an ASC project that went in a couple years ago and I'd hardly call Wesley Heights a ghetto.  I've walked my dog through Frazier Park and under that pass countless times and have never felt unsafe.  There is an occasional panhandler at the I-77 exit and the gas station can be a bit sketchy on weekend nights (they have security now) but otherwise the area further up Trade to JCS is much cleaner and nicer than you might expect.

http://asccharlotte.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/passing-through-light-connects-communities/

Fair enough, I wish they would do this with other overpasses in uptown, maybe not all rave lights...but something

They're all identified in the Center City vision plans to receive various upgrades and the like to make them more welcoming. There may even be plans on the books to do some upgrades just waiting on funding. 

Having said all that, there is something called the "Overpass / Underpass Enhancement Program" scheduled for advertisement by CDOT this quarter. I can't find any other details on that.

I don't know if this affects the Essex restaurant project, but the building's owner just scheduled a Land Use meeting to discuss adding a 2-3 story "base" to the Bank of America Plaza building (the black glass bulding at the SE corner of Trade and Tyon) to accomodate shops and restaurants.

• Like 4

WOW, that is huge news for Tryon Street. I hope they are talking about the BofA branch bank that's in the building along Tryon.

Also, does anyone have any details about what they are doing to the plaza in front of Independence building? the fencing says they are upgrading the exterior, but doesn't really show what it will look like.

Now that is great news. I think more retail would do well at Trade and Tryon, it's a no brainer. I've always realized we have some many horrible 80's buildings that didn't have street frontage. With that being said only way to make active streets is through conversion/retrofit. I think the city is finally reaching a tipping point where retail can be supported downtown, or at least getting very close to. Specifically, if private developers are arriving at this conclusion.

Let's get it started!

• Like 3