Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Dang, and I was trying to NOT be distracted today...

ONE BIG GRIPE. Where did they get their Bobcats Attendance Numbers!?!?!? It would suggest only 7,000 people go to the games and nothing could be further from the truth.

Edited by Guest

Another Observation. Nascar Hall of Fame is not mentioned once as a downtown amenity. I guess we are going to just go ahead and deny its existence. 

Also: Anytime I mention any development in Charlotte I am greeted with Chatter and responses from the people in Charlotte Media and Business Community on Twitter. Anytime I mention Levine being a crook, and that the "State of the Center City" Report will be talking about the impending groundbreaking from now until eternity, I am greeted with crickets and silence. I guess Danny Boy has that much influence in this city, that you can't even utter a peep in response.

Edited by Guest

Another Observation. Nascar Hall of Fame is not mentioned once as a downtown amenity. I guess we are going to just go ahead and deny its existence. 

Also: Anytime I mention any development in Charlotte I am greeted with Chatter and responses from the people in Charlotte Media and Business Community on Twitter. Anytime I mention Levine being a crook, and that the "State of the Center City" Report will be talking about the impending groundbreaking from now until eternity, I am greeted with crickets and silence. I guess Danny Boy has that much influence in this city, that you can't even utter a peep in response.

Probably for liability reasons. I'm not a lawyer but when you acknowledge words like "crook", you better be careful (as a newspaper)

Probably for liability reasons. I'm not a lawyer but when you acknowledge words like "crook", you better be careful (as a newspaper)

well I don't call him a crook... I just comment on the project that will never happen. 

I have a question for any of our posters that are knowledgeable in local real estate/development. And BTW I cannot thank you guys enough for all of the information you all provide to us average joes. With so many sizeable projects floating around in limbo what does that do for the viability for each of them. I know high rise projects fizzle out all the time, but with so many towers seemingly at the same point of planning what does that mean for the big picture? I mean, is it possible we could have a crane city by this time next year or is it more likely only one or two of these actually moves forward?

I have a question for any of our posters that are knowledgeable in local real estate/development. And BTW I cannot thank you guys enough for all of the information you all provide to us average joes. With so many sizeable projects floating around in limbo what does that do for the viability for each of them. I know high rise projects fizzle out all the time, but with so many towers seemingly at the same point of planning what does that mean for the big picture? I mean, is it possible we could have a crane city by this time next year or is it more likely only one or two of these actually moves forward?

it is more than likely that only a few move forward. Before the recession there were a TON of proposals for Uptown, and only a few were actually built.

Maybe?? Not sure exactly where Therapy was, it will be right next to Jack's New Yorker Deli

It'll occupy the original Therapy space, before it unwisely expanded (taking over Lola's next door on the corner of 8th).

The branding looks really, really generic but I'm hoping it will defy that. I've noticed a spate of recent places that end up being decent but haven't done a good job of branding/marketing themselves. 

It'll occupy the original Therapy space, before it unwisely expanded (taking over Lola's next door on the corner of 8th).

The branding looks really, really generic but I'm hoping it will defy that. I've noticed a spate of recent places that end up being decent but haven't done a good job of branding/marketing themselves. 

I agree the sign and stuff does look pretty boring. However with this location, rock bottom and now duckworths, it looks like there is going to be a legit alternative to the epicentre, latta arcade and 5th and tryon. good stuff!!

Edited by Jayvee

That space (which is very small...can't remember what used to be there) is still available. This is on Therapy's side to the right of the central entrance/stairs. Signage is up. 

Well from where the signs are it looks like the new bar is taking up from breezeway of the building down to the deli, so it seems like it is taking up the whole space.

Well from where the signs are it looks like the new bar is taking up from breezeway of the building down to the deli, so it seems like it is taking up the whole space.

What I mean is that for a time Therapy was occupying that space AND the space now taken by Jacks NY Deli. I'm still not sure why they thought that was a good idea. 

What I mean is that for a time Therapy was occupying that space AND the space now taken by Jacks NY Deli. I'm still not sure why they thought that was a good idea. 

Well Therapy was a VERY hot spot with good appetizers before the boycott. Turning it into a farm to table restaurant seemed like an obvious choice. Then they started adding automatic gratuity to ALL of their African American customers. 

Uptown will see two office towers: one will have an anchor tenant moving from an existing building, the other will be built as spec.

The banks are no longer interested in building or owning. So, with the banks out of the game, institutional investors moving into the market, and an understanding that Charlotte is seen as a strong non-core play, new developers and investors will be coming into the market to build.  I would expect the total space to be built at around 1-1.3 million SF between the two buildings.  We could see more activity if things get underway near Gateway Village since you can build a building there on cheaper land and not have to go vertical 20+ floors to make the financials really work out.

I would expect to see at least three hotels built, delivering about 1200 total hotel rooms.  RevPar, seasonally adjusted, can easily support this number.  Two on the luxury side, one more 'modern,' as the hotel industry likes to call them.

Beyond the current apartment construction, don't expect anything to get underway. The apartment wave has come to Uptown, and with the competition for tenants in South End (with more amenities honestly), nothing will get going.  I will call for a condo building to be built in the next five years.

Edited by dcharlotte
  • Like 1

Uptown will see two office towers: one will have an anchor tenant moving from an existing building, the other will be built as spec.

The banks are no longer interested in building or owning. So, with the banks out of the game, institutional investors moving into the market, and an understanding that Charlotte is seen as a strong non-core play, new developers and investors will be coming into the market to build.  I would expect the total space to be built at around 1-1.3 million SF between the two buildings.  We could see more activity if things get underway near Gateway Village since you can build a building there on cheaper land and not have to go vertical 20+ floors to make the financials really work out.

I would expect to see at least three hotels built, delivering about 1200 total hotel rooms.  RevPar, seasonally adjusted, can easily support this number.  Two on the luxury side, one more 'modern,' as the hotel industry likes to call them.

Beyond the current apartment construction, don't expect anything to get underway. The apartment wave has come to Uptown, and with the competition for tenants in South End (with more amenities honestly), nothing will get going.  I will call for a condo building to be built in the next five years.

Care to make a observation on Uptown/SouthEnd Retail?