Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

I'm sure they'll do pat-downs at the Sheraton from here on out haha

There were a lot of people they interviewed on the news upset with the lack of security at the event, so I imagine you are correct.  It sucks that we live in an age where you have to go through a metal detector to go to a club or watch a football game.

• Like 1

While it is a nice coupe for the city to have the CIAA tourney here for another 6 years (and have their HQ relocated here), I really hope they fix some of the security issues. It's pretty bad when you have an event with these well known celebs, that security is an after thought. They need to tighten that up. Whether it's from the people throwing these high roller parties, the city or a combination of both. You don't need an event that brings in tens of millions of dollars like that giving the city a black eye because a select group of individuals are morons. 

Even Sharon Decker is saying there is not enough vacancy to recruit!  

NC secretary of commerce: Lack of building product a challenge for Charlotte

I wish I'd win the lottery and had a pile of money to spend because I'd build a 40+ story office tower on spec in uptown... 

• Like 2

Why, why, why..... With state politicians and data regarding our low office space... Why isn't an office tower going up?

It has to be something specifically with our market that speculative office towers typically don't get built here :-(

That's what it would take for new construction to be profitable unless it was essentially 100% leased based on how much uptown construction costs.  There is very little new construction happening anywhere in the country without a substantial commitment.  Ballantyne is a bit different because they can charge rents close to uptown levels, but their construction costs are much less, and their financing costs are lower.

I finally looked up all of the work that is being done to upgrade Edwin Towers in 4th Ward.  I had assumed it would get a treatment similar to Strawn and Charlottetown Terrace, and that does seem to be true, as they will be replacing the windows and repainting, as well as other improvements to de-70s-ify the building.   Obviously 4th Ward is lucky to have the open space around the structure, but it was desperately in need of aesthetic improvements, especially along the 9th St side which was the original 'back' of the building but visible from some 3/4-million dollar homes.    

http://www.cha-nc.org/documents/July%209,%202013%20Real%20Estate%20Committee%20Agenda%20Packet.pdf

Scope:

New windows and building glass throughout

New interior and exterior lighting.

Repairs to spaulding and cracked concrete columns, exterior painting of the building

Exterior improvements-landscaping, paving

Construction of a dumpster enclosure

New building HVAC systems

Kitchen upgrades to include; cabinets, countertops, light fixtures, new appliances throughout

Electrical and plumbing upgrades

Interior painting throughout

Reconfiguration of the ground floor in order to make better use of the space

Asbestos containing materials (ACM) abatement of the vinyl composite tile flooring (VCT)

throughout and mold abatement

New flooring throughout

Demolition and removal of the antiquated equipment which would include replacement of all the

cast iron plumbing lines that are failing

Bathroom upgrades to include; sinks, refinish tubs, toilets, and flooring

Upgrade generator and all electrical panels, switches, and receptacles

New solar reflecting thermoplastic polyolefin roof (TPO)

Really wish they would tear down and redo that block.  Such a prominent block in 4th ward with a single 12 story building in the center with no use for the rest of the land.   Tear it down, build a new building at a corner and sell the rest of the land.  The green space is not very usable but maybe they will update it as well to make it more attractive to local residents?

Huh, I thought as of a year or two ago it was going to be torn down and they had already started moving folks out.

They moved people to Hall House temporarily for the renovation.   Of course they once thought about selling it off and tearing it down, but in the end, for all the economic reasons we are well aware of in the last 5 years, they opted to keep their 1960s high rise buildings but go through a process of updating them.   They completed Strawn and Charlottetown in the same way. 

http://www.conexpoconagg.com/Media/ConstructionProjects/StrawnTower/

The options for public senior housing would be to build new, buy another old building and upfit, or upfit the space they already own.   The may have gone a different route if they had been able to sell the land for a huge sum of money, but that would have required that it be developable more like Tryon St than the character of Poplar Street, which may have been harder on the historic part of the neighborhood.  Regardless, they opted to keep the land and building, but modernize it.   So we will continue to have the poor seniors, and the open space, but the aesthetics will be vastly better.

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Blogs/Dusk-Till-Dawn/March-2014/Nightlife-News-Sports-One-Vida-Vida-and-Daddys-Money-Opening-Soon/

Some new bars coming uptown. Vida Vida looks pretty cool inside (big bar) walking bar. I can't imagine Sports One lasting too long. That area is terrible, especially for a sports bar (an 'upscale' one at that). Maybe down the road when that area is built up something can survive there, but not now.

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Blogs/Dusk-Till-Dawn/March-2014/Nightlife-News-Sports-One-Vida-Vida-and-Daddys-Money-Opening-Soon/

Some new bars coming uptown. Vida Vida looks pretty cool inside (big bar) walking bar. I can't imagine Sports One lasting too long. That area is terrible, especially for a sports bar (an 'upscale' one at that). Maybe down the road when that area is built up something can survive there, but not now.

Eh, I think its got a shot actually. I lived in Tryon House through part of the Coyote Ugly era and all of Luna Lounge's run, and you'd be surprised at how packed both could get, though Luna Lounge was way too pretentious to exist there outside of special events. I think a divier bar would work best, ala Thirsty Beaver, but a sports bar has a better chance than anything that's been there recently. Its not a bad space and I've seen way riskier concepts work in way riskier areas in other cities. 

Eh, I think its got a shot actually. I lived in Tryon House through part of the Coyote Ugly era and all of Luna Lounge's run, and you'd be surprised at how packed both could get, though Luna Lounge was way too pretentious to exist there outside of special events. I think a divier bar would work best, ala Thirsty Beaver, but a sports bar has a better chance than anything that's been there recently. Its not a bad space and I've seen way riskier concepts work in way riskier areas in other cities. 

I think the fact it hasn't lasted as those two concepts speaks for the location. It's either good theyre trying something new, or that location is a lost cause until the area is cleaned up.

And I would like to see it work, I just don't have much faith. Maybe if it can last until Duckworth's opens, couple that with Rock Bottom, and that new Martini/Wine Bar, it could be a nice little trio.

Edited by Jayvee

http://www.sydneysmartiniandwinebar.com/

The place replacing Therapy has updated their website. Their martini/cocktail menu looks very extensive, nothing too inventive, but it seems like this place aims to be a space to meet with friends, relax and NOT have to yell over music. That is is something uptown is lacking and I think this will be a good fit for uptown, hopefully it will get traffic with it being a tad off the beaten path. It seems to be opening VERY soon.

What I don't get is, how as a business in 2014, can you open with such minimal promotion and SEO. Their facebook has like 15 likes and the twitter has 7 followers. When you search google for "martini uptown charlotte" they should optimize so that this place is the FIRST search result. Even if you search the name of the place, their website isn't even the first option. I don't know what this says about the owners (if anything), but if it was me and my place was a tad off from the main area of bars, I would be advertising like theres no tomorrow. Fahrenheit had a TON of promotion upon opening and it seems that place is doing very well.

Edited by Jayvee

Does anyone have any updates on these two places uptown?

Essex (http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/02/19/essex-bar-and-bistro-planned-for-bank-of-america.html?page=all):

I work in Plaza and no work has started at all (other than shutting off fountains), would be VERY surprised if they get this done by the end of summer. "Construction of a high-end restaurant in uptown Charlotte’s Bank of America Plaza building will start any day." <---- one month later.... :whistling:

Chupitos (http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/02/chupitos-bar-and-restaurant-planned-near-uptown.html?page=all):

I have not been down that way, but I was told it doesn't look like work has begun.

Edited by Jayvee

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Blogs/Dusk-Till-Dawn/March-2014/Nightlife-News-Get-Ready-for-Alive-After-Five-Pisces-Expanding-to-Mooresville-Corkbuzz-Coming-to-SouthPark/

Rooftop 210 looks awesome (opening April 11), I have NO idea why it has taken this long to utilize the top floor like this.

Also: Sydney's Martini & Wine bar opens today and Vida Vida opens Friday