Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

The article on the FFTC renderings of the Carolina Theater had a line in it:

The vision for North Tryon will be based on a “civic district” concept that would tie into existing nearby institutions like the Charlotte Mecklenburg Public Library, ImaginOn and Discovery Place, among others. A master plan is expected later this year, with the foundation, Charlotte Center City Partners and Bank of America all playing a role.

Is anyone less than thrilled with this sort of marketing/vision for that area?  BTW I mean the name/moniker of "civic district" alone and not actual plans or attractions.   When I see Civic Districts on maps of cities I think of city halls, courts and the like.   

It also sort of minimizes the cultural attractions on that side of Tryon including the NC Dance Studios (where they have a black box theater), The Levine Museum, Spirit Square with those theaters, and the McColl Centre. 

I wouldn't take that 'civic district' talk too literally. I think they just mean that there's already a cluster of stuff to build on along North Tryon. The Carolina Theatre will just add to it. Charlotte Center City Partners is also talking about the same type of thing.

So we were talking about speakeasys....did anyone know this existed???

http://www.emersonjoseph.com/room-xiii/

and is this uptown or in ballantyne?

The idea of a back alley in Ballantyne just seems odd. Based on its location Uptown, I would assume it's back here:

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/@35.225203,-80.844764,3a,75y,61.3h,83.6t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sseCIIf-YgirR6PFRg9Zfcg!2e0!6m1!1e1

It once was a benefit of membership to EmJo uptown, but they started charging.  When I was a member a number of years ago it was just like a man-cave that I imagined had some strip-pers visit and that type of thing.  It's a cool space though, that is part of the city's intangeable loss from not having as many old buildings left.  This building has some great spaces, including the condo upstairs.

I wouldn't take that 'civic district' talk too literally. I think they just mean that there's already a cluster of stuff to build on along North Tryon. The Carolina Theatre will just add to it. Charlotte Center City Partners is also talking about the same type of thing.

I know I know I know,  but I still hate the moniker

I know I know I know,  but I still hate the moniker

I don't think it's a moniker for the area. I think it's a description. I don't think you'll ever see a sign uptown pointing to the "Civic District" along N. Tryon. I believe they mean civic in the sense that it will have places that serve the public, not in a governmental way but in an educational/arts/sciences/humanities sort of way.

• Like 3

And

I don't think it's a moniker for the area. I think it's a description. I don't think you'll ever see a sign uptown pointing to the "Civic District" along N. Tryon. I believe they mean civic in the sense that it will have places that serve the public, not in a governmental way but in an educational/arts/sciences/humanities sort of way.

And I hate the name of the descriptive for the area.  Guys we can go back and forth on this as much as anyone wants - I just think it's a dumb name.  Sorry.

North Tryon just needs a public to serve.  I live in 4th Ward and I rare go straight to Tryon.  I almost always go diagonally through the neighborhood (park and cemetery) to 5th Street to get to that area or farther to South Tryon.   Any momentum building changes like new apartment towers (300 N College and Skyhouse), the new 9th Street Lynx Station, and gawd-willing First Ward Park will all be reasons to head straight to North Tryon.  Maybe then restaurants like Delta's can start surviving and the area will start to turn from being 2/3 homeless.

But it will take more happening than just Carolina Theater, which is already in the area that has normal urban activity.

As far as civic uses versus arts, apparently with no backstage area, it is apparently no longer suited to many theater productions, but I'm sure what ever COULD go on there, will find its way there once the dust settles.   I do like the Foundation's plans because it gets it back to looking good with fairly low expectations of what would be programmed there, and but once in operation it'll come together and find it's niche in the arts and humanities scenes.  I suspect it will get its use for BofA corporate functions as well. 

In most cases they have their own thread (like the SREE hotel) or can go in their neighborhood or project thread. 

I move posts out of this misc topic constantly to their appropriate threads, so a second misc topic is not likely going to help us :).

I know, I was kidding it just seems crazy how many outstanding hotel projects there are.

Sidenote: one month down and no major announcements :(

Edited by Jayvee

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/02/retail-office-towers-hotels-top-uptown-charlottes.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm happy CCCP is actively trying to improve downtown still. I'm sure everyone is getting anxious with a silent 2014 so far... Theres some stuff cooking up.

According to that article office vacancy is 8.1% however according to this article: http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/breaking_ground/2013/08/dc-has-nations-lowest-office-vacancy.html DC has the lowest rate of 9.7%.

Now this could include the FULL city and Charlotte's number is just uptown. That being said how does that 8.1% compare to other downtown areas (having trouble finding specific, and recent numbers)? It seems like that number is VERY low and while that bodes well for the city as far as demand goes, obviously we have seen this be a detriment to uptown due to a lack of supply.

I think national investors are getting more bullish on Charlotte, but are still concerned about BofA and to some lesser degree Wells reducing their office space here.  There is a concern that if they moved out of space while a new building is under construction, there could be a lot more competition than expected, which is why they want that 30% minimal commitment.  That said, I think it would be pretty easy to get financing once that anchor tenant is located if the tenant is not just moving within Uptown.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/02/retail-office-towers-hotels-top-uptown-charlottes.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm happy CCCP is actively trying to improve downtown still. I'm sure everyone is getting anxious with a silent 2014 so far... Theres some stuff cooking up.

Higu school please!! I'd love, love a high school uptown :)

According to that article office vacancy is 8.1% however according to this article: http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/breaking_ground/2013/08/dc-has-nations-lowest-office-vacancy.html DC has the lowest rate of 9.7%.

Now this could include the FULL city and Charlotte's number is just uptown. That being said how does that 8.1% compare to other downtown areas (having trouble finding specific, and recent numbers)? It seems like that number is VERY low and while that bodes well for the city as far as demand goes, obviously we have seen this be a detriment to uptown due to a lack of supply.

What I bolded in your quote is semi-correct.  the 8.1% figure is from the State of the Center City report which also includes Historic South End and Elizabeth. 

Edited by Urbanity

I think anything below 10% vacancy in a given business district handicaps your opportunities for job expansion and relocations. Uptown's bigger issue aside from the low vacancy is the lack of contingent office space. Until someone steps up to plate and builds a tower, we're not going to see any big expansion/relo announcements for uptown. Talking to you Portman and Crescent...