Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

But on my checklist I would love to see:

A specialty cocktail bar (Bubble doesn't count)

A speakeasy/prohibition bar (Prohibition doesn't count. Quite possibly the worst use of that name and space. Place is just terrible)

A European bar

real dive bar

Not really certain what a speakeasy/prohibition bar is or a European bar, and I think a dive bar would do better in Plaza, NoDa and the sorts outside of Uptown, but in general I'm in favor of more ADULT (not 20 something) nightlife choices in uptown where the only loud music would be a live blues or jazz band.    There seems to be so few bars for conversation in Uptown. 

• Like 1

Oh what I would give for a bar like that. Do high ceilings like that exist in ONE bar uptown? I don't think so, I can't think of any.

A similar structure is at whatever the place is called now that used to be called 505e (the tower at Caldwell & 6th). Unfortunately, they did a no sneakers & button down dress code in an attempt to class it up, and it closed a couple months back.

I heard it has opened up again as something else though.

Not really certain what a speakeasy/prohibition bar is or a European bar, and I think a dive bar would do better in Plaza, NoDa and the sorts outside of Uptown, but in general I'm in favor of more ADULT (not 20 something) nightlife choices in uptown where the only loud music would be a live blues or jazz band.    There seems to be so few bars for conversation in Uptown. 

Péché in Austin is a fantastc example of a prohibition style bar. I loved that place when i visited Austin. Also, while being a 20 something, I would still agree that we most definitely need ADULT bars, without question

2777-peche.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 2

A similar structure is at whatever the place is called now that used to be called 505e (the tower at Caldwell & 6th). Unfortunately, they did a no sneakers & button down dress code in an attempt to class it up, and it closed a couple months back.

I heard it has opened up again as something else though.

It's called Tanner's now, actually has a very good looking menu, I am going to try it out this week.

This is probably my favorite speakeasy - The Randstead Room in Philly. No website, but here's a write-up on it. I've also been to Franklin Mortgage and Loan, which is the first bar listed in the article, but the Randstead Room tops it IMHO. You have to find it in an alley near Rittenhouse Square and it's just a black door in the alley with a double-R logo on it. No other indication that there is a bar behind that door. The most requested drink on the menu is "Bartender's Choice," where the bartender asks you a series of questions - "What's your favorite liquor? Do you like to taste the liquor or cover it up? Do you like sweet drinks? Do you like your drinks dry?" etc. and then they craft something for you and give it a name. My bourbon cocktail ended up being a spin on a Sazerac, which happens to be one of my favorite drinks (it's usually made with Rye whiskey, but in this case he used bourbon).

http://phillyfoodfight.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/franklin-mortgage-investment-company-vs-ranstead-room/

ranstead+door.jpg

And this is what is behind that door...

l.jpg

I would LOVE to have something like this in Charlotte - very relaxed, adult, upscale atmostphere, and the drinks were incredible!

This is what i want. This i my all time favorite NYC haunt.

home_bg.jpg

It looks like the worlds crapties barrio taco stand.

But then you knock on a back door and weave your way through the kitchen and are greeted by a wall of tequila (200+ different types)

tumblr_lve94mSPDN1r7rfgto1_400.jpg

And Crazy Glass and Tile Mosaics of Mayan Scenes with Stereotypical Mexican Barrio motifs (low riders)

LaEsquina3.jpg

It has a fantastic Bar 

La-Esquina-Brasserie-Bar.jpg

A Wild Dining Room

La-Esquina-Brasserie-4.jpg

And some of the most amazing Modern Upscale Mexican Cuisine Ever.

Edited by Guest

I've heard about a bar like that in Boston, where you went into this store that looked kind of abandoned and the windows were papered over and it just sold random stuff, and then there was a soda machine in the back that swung open to reveal a bar in a back room. Never got to check it out though.

Crif Dogs in the East VillAge on St Marks has a phone booth u get in and pick up the phone and say the password. The back wall of the phone booth opens and you walk into an awesome intimate bar with fantastic cocktails and homemade bacon bourbon.

RiRa

at the entrance sure, but not the whole bar. i wouldn't count that at all. Speaking of Ri Ra...the place right next to it (used to be richa graphics, inbetween Ri Ra and Prohibition) still has boarded up windows and doors with a construction company sign....Is anything going on here???

Does anyone know what the random door between Connollys and Phils is https://maps.google.com/maps?q=107+East+5th+Street+Charlotte,+NC&layer=c&sll=35.227715,-80.841586&cbp=13,68.61,,0,17.11&cbll=35.227709,-80.841604&hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=107+E+5th+St,+Charlotte,+North+Carolina+28202&t=h&vpsrc=0&panoid=0ooVNA5-azKWihh2-MNY8A&ll=35.227707,-80.841608&spn=0.000018,0.009978&z=17&iwloc=A??? It's so random and creepy, but could this be a PERFECT door to lead to a speakeasy type bar?????????

Edited by Jayvee

at the entrance sure, but not the whole bar. i wouldn't count that at all. Speaking of Ri Ra...the place right next to it (used to be richa graphics, inbetween Ri Ra and Prohibition) still has boarded up windows and doors with a construction company sign....Is anything going on here???

Does anyone know what the random door between Connollys and Phils is https://maps.google.com/maps?q=107+East+5th+Street+Charlotte,+NC&layer=c&sll=35.227715,-80.841586&cbp=13,68.61,,0,17.11&cbll=35.227709,-80.841604&hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=107+E+5th+St,+Charlotte,+North+Carolina+28202&t=h&vpsrc=0&panoid=0ooVNA5-azKWihh2-MNY8A&ll=35.227707,-80.841608&spn=0.000018,0.009978&z=17&iwloc=A??? It's so random and creepy, but could this be a PERFECT door to lead to a speakeasy type bar?????????

I'm pretty sure it's a staircase to likely what used to be some sort of living space above the respective bars.

It used to be a bar upstairs...I can't remember what the bar that is now Prohibition was called before, but when the name changed they took over both spaces. You could get between the 2 upstairs bars before once you were in, so they were barely separate anyway. 

It used to be a bar upstairs...I can't remember what the bar that is now Prohibition was called before, but when the name changed they took over both spaces. You could get between the 2 upstairs bars before once you were in, so they were barely separate anyway. 

It was called Madisons, and it was one of my favorite bars. It really had twice the speakeasy feel as anything in Charlotte.

Edited by Guest

It was called Madisons, and it was one of my favorite bars. It really had twice the speakeasy feel as anything in Charlotte.

That's right. Yeah it still got as rowdy (read douchey) as anywhere else uptown on a Friday or Saturday, but any other time it was a hidden gem. I wish that it were still 2 smaller bars rather than the monstrosity Prohibition became. Although I hear its not too bad a place either on a weekday, I just haven't tried it. 

Edited by nonillogical

Caught this in the 3rd Ward Community Update from September.  Is this still happening? Couldn't find info on it anywhere else on the board.

4. West 4th Street Extension Streetscape Improvements.
This project has two objectives: to re-align the intersections at Johnson & Wales Way and W. Trade St. and  Johnson & Wales Way at 4th St. in order to eliminate the free-flowing right turn lanes that are dangerous; and, to reduce the travel lanes on W. 4th  Extension St. from two lanes in each direction to one lane in each direction, with a center turn land and outside bicycle lanes on both sides. Also, pedestrian lighting, crosswalks, medians, and landscaping will be added. The total cost will be $3.2 million. Construction will start in January, 2014, and will be underway for 12-18 months.

Here's the link. Also had a brief update on the Gateway Station.