Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

On 2/28/2018 at 1:00 PM, Miesian Corners said:

Any update as to what the storage building at 7th and the Belk/Brookshire split is going to look like? After passing the car tower on South Blvd yesterday, this thing has me genuinely concerned. It could really scar an iconic skyline viewshed. 

In all likelihood that interchange is going to get reconfigured anyway, so in the long run (8-10 years) it may not matter all that much.

On 3/1/2018 at 2:25 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Looks pretty fudgeing world class. I love this redo of Blumenthal

Messages Image(1661456721).png

1- I sincerely hope this will not take up the entire sidewalk like they are showing. I think it's a shame to lose the plaza space, but I agree the current lobby is a bit cramped. 

2- I think this will look dated in less than a decade. Those giant over hangs (eves?) are in right now, but will be out of style in short order. Give me a timeless design like the building it's attached to.

3- That sheet of metal they are going to run down the 5th St arcade is going to make it feel even more cramped than it already is. It's impressive that they've managed to make that godforsaken sidewalk on 5th St worse.

On 3/1/2018 at 6:30 PM, Dale said:

Is the real or just visionary ?

4- This may be real, but according to my sources it hasn't been submitted to the City for review yet.

6 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Atlanta cheated to get on that list.  That over-1000-foot building in Atlanta is the Bank of America building.  Back when it was being built, it was going to be the headquarters of C&S/Sovran.  C&S had been an Atlanta-based bank and Sovran was based in Richmond.  Those two banks merged because they felt threatened by Charlotte-based NationsBank, which was much bigger than either of those two banks (NCNB had just recently been renamed NationsBank).  They both feared being taken over by NationsBank and would rather merge with each other than have that happen.  NationsBank was in the process of building its 60-story tower, which was going to be the tallest building between Houston and Philadelphia, surpassing anything in Atlanta.  At the same time the NationsBank tower was going up in Charlotte, C&S/Sovran was building their new 55-story headquarters in Atlanta, which was going to be shorter than the Charlotte NationsBank tower.  Atlanta's (and C&S/Sovran's) ego just could take that.  They couldn't have a building in Charlotte be taller than theirs.  So they made a sudden decision during construction to put a VERY tall spire on top of the building that it would make the building significantly higher than the NationsBank building.  That spire is the only reason the 55-story C&S/Sovran building ended up being taller than the 60-story NationsBank building.  But by the time the building was completed, NationsBank had struck back with a hostile takeover of C&S/Sovran (so much for their attempts not to be taken over by NationsBank), and it became the Atlanta NationsBank building.  Then, of course, years later NationsBank merged with Bank of America, and both buildings are under that name today.

And, who can forget the rivalries within Charlotte between NCNB and First Union?  There was the original 32 story First Union, then NCNB's 40 story at the square, then First Union's rounded top, then BOA's 60 story.... Am I missing a couple?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

And, who can forget the rivalries within Charlotte between NCNB and First Union?  There was the original 32 story First Union, then NCNB's 40 story at the square, then First Union's rounded top, then BOA's 60 story.... Am I missing a couple?

Well, I have no problem with the NCNB and First Union rivalries because they were all within the same city, so they were trying to outdo one another within the same skyline.  That rivalry served Charlotte well!  But I get a little ticked that Atlanta sticks that spire on top of its building for no other reason than to make sure that Charlotte can't claim to have a taller building on its skyline.

Edited by JacksonH

22 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Something about lipstick and pigs... ? 

That building actually does (or did) have a restaurant on the parking lot side. I don't know if it's still there or not. It wasn't very good.

The Coffee Cup moved there for a little bit. It amazes me that all of the buildings along this stretch of McDowell have MASSIVE surface parking lots. I wonder if there is the economics in place to build structured parking and develop the back lots, or if they have too big of connectivity issues to be developed.

31 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Well, I have no problem with the NCNB and First Union rivalries because they were all within the same city, so they were trying to outdo one another within the same skyline.  That rivalry served Charlotte well!  But I get a little ticked that Atlanta sticks that spire on top of its building for no other reason than to make sure that Charlotte can't claim to have a taller building on its skyline.

Agreed. Oh, and I just remembered, before the original FUND 32 story building, NCNB had that 20 (or so) story building where McCormick and Schmidts is now.

Does anyone know anything about the block next to the First Presbyterian Church in Uptown? This block includes the Builder's Building. The most recent article I can find is this one from 2015: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/27072/should-this-1920s-uptown-building-be-saved/

I would hate to see yet another historic building destroyed, but would really like to see something done with that surface lot. Maybe a joint venture like what is going on in South Park at the ski slope church? 2 towers could easily fit on that parking lot, plus parking in a deck for the church.

Edited by DH17
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, DH17 said:

Does anyone know anything about the block next to the First Presbyterian Church in Uptown? This block includes the Builder's Building. The most recent article I can find is this one from 2015: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/27072/should-this-1920s-uptown-building-be-saved/

I would hate to see yet another historic building destroyed, but would really like to see something done with that surface lot. Maybe a joint venture like what is going on in South Park at the ski slope church? 2 towers could easily fit on that parking lot, plus parking in a deck for the church.

Now that's a building I could actually support saving. I'm almost positive that surface lot is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest in Uptown. Or at least the biggest nearest to the core (Trade & Tryon). It could definitely accommodate at LEAST 2 towers. It would be the critical lot to fill in filling the gap between the Vue and the main skyline. It's definitely in my top 3 for surface lots I'd like to see a significantly sized tower built on. Fantastic location. I don't think there would be an issue in integrate that building into any plan, though.

• Like 1

It would be fun, but First Presbyterian Church owns it and like the block owned by First Baptist, there is very little incentive for them to not just keep it as it is in perpetuity, as they don't pay any tax cost, make good revenue from parking and have the parking for the parishioners on Sunday that keeps their church alive. 

It's fun to dream, but I tend to think in Charlotte the old buildings across Pine from it will be torn down and redeveloped before this parking lot. 

It would be fun, but First Presbyterian Church owns it and like the block owned by First Baptist, there is very little incentive for them to not just keep it as it is in perpetuity, as they don't pay any tax cost, make good revenue from parking and have the parking for the parishioners on Sunday that keeps their church alive. 

It's fun to dream, but I tend to think in Charlotte the old buildings across Pine from it will be torn down and redeveloped before this parking lot. 

That’s just not true though. I’ve spoken to the Development Director of the church for the aforementioned article I wrote, and they are pretty committed to making sure they are a proper urban citizen. Especially after seeing the kind of good the “ski slope church” did/is doing in SouthPark. They are currently putting together their expectations before they bring in developers..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

That seems odd to me.  Any reason why?

It where the NCRR originally terminated and swapped traffic with the Charlotte and South Carolina RR. You can still see some evidence of the freight yard in the parking lot across the tracks. The NCRR has never been in a big hurry to sell unused parcles, but the legislature is forcing them to.

The Blue Line wasn't built where it is for no reason...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

That seems odd to me.  Any reason why?

42 minutes ago, kermit said:

It where the NCRR originally terminated and swapped traffic with the Charlotte and South Carolina RR. You can still see some evidence of the freight yard in the parking lot across the tracks. The NCRR has never been in a big hurry to sell unused parcles, but the legislature is forcing them to.

image.thumb.png.7f275fd83f850538ed7d4984d4e8de62.png

1877 Map for further info and to show the railroad assets that were on these pieces of land

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, kermit said:

Great stuff guys, thanks.  I will certainly check out that parking lot for evidence of the past!

Yeah, both of those parcels really stand out when you walk/ride along the Blue line there.