Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

I think what Charlotte is lacking to start to become a cultural city in the right direction much like an Austin is that we don’t really have a distinct and dedicated district. I think we need a district near the city dedicated to Brewries, Clubs, Venues, And eateries. Just my opinion.

On 3/17/2018 at 1:11 PM, Cadi40 said:

I think what Charlotte is lacking to start to become a cultural city in the right direction much like an Austin is that we don’t really have a distinct and dedicated district. I think we need a district near the city dedicated to Brewries, Clubs, Venues, And eateries. Just my opinion.

The Yancey Rd and Southside Dr area is getting there. Southern Tier and Victory brewing are even adding to this area. I personally think this area needs to add a dive bar or dance club type place for after all the breweries close. Queen Park Social house is so slammed on weekends late.

15 hours ago, dylansukkert said:

The Yancey Rd and Southside Dr area is getting there. Southern Tier and Victory brewing are even adding to this area. I personally think this area needs to add a dive bar or dance club type place for after all the breweries close. Queen Park Social house is so slammed on weekends late.

It'd be cool to see another bar from the same folks as Tipsy Burro/Thirsty Beaver come to this area.

24 minutes ago, dylansukkert said:

Yes! I would love to see all the warehouses turned into bars, restaurants, or breweries along Southside and Yancey. 

I'm over here just wishing that area had sidewalk infrastructure. 

Just throwing this out here, but I wonder if PMG's "X Series" might be the next SkyHouse phenomenon (and perhaps coming our way) ? Smaller units and micro-units. Pictured is the Ft Lauderdale version and an Orlando version has just been announced ...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Visiting D.C. Today, Makes me realize how lacking Charlotte is in many categories, However it’s not too late for a young city like Charlotte.

Visiting DC Tuesday and Wednesday made me realize the opposite. I’ve been to DC a lot, especially last year,  but Tuesday and Wednesday I would’ve been just as content in Charlotte. Though I might have to relocate there, it was snowing and my flight got canceled so I had to fly through Orlando to get back so I wasn’t feeling it in DC that go around. I think SouthPark is better than Tyson’s. 

Even though its nice that Metro has the times of the trains at its stations, the old trains suck. The drivers are always beyond inaudible on what station is next, there are no signs telling you which stop is next. You just have to peer out the window every now and then to know which stop you’re at. The new trains are nice, but I’ve only gotten a newer one twice in several visits 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Visiting DC Tuesday and Wednesday made me realize the opposite. I’ve been to DC a lot, especially last year,  but Tuesday and Wednesday I would’ve been just as content in Charlotte. Though I might have to relocate there, it was snowing and my flight got canceled so I had to fly through Orlando to get back so I wasn’t feeling it in DC that go around. I think SouthPark is better than Tyson’s. 

Even though its nice that Metro has the times of the trains at its stations, the old trains suck. The drivers are always beyond inaudible on what station is next, there are no signs telling you which stop is next. You just have to peer out the window every now and then to know which stop you’re at. The new trains are nice, but I’ve only gotten a newer one twice in several visits 

I'm guessing he meant the pedestrian experience that makes a city feel like a city.  Charlotte will likely never be able to replicate the feeling of walking down M street in Georgetown or  walking the streets around DuPont Circle.  There is something about the old 3-4 story buildings built right on top of eachother that make DC so interesting to walk around.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, QCT1401 said:

I'm guessing he meant the pedestrian experience that makes a city feel like a city.  Charlotte will likely never be able to replicate the feeling of walking down M street in Georgetown or  walking the streets around DuPont Circle.  There is something about the old 3-4 story buildings built right on top of eachother that make DC so interesting to walk around.

True. Neither will Dallas though.  And they’re bigger than DC. I guess my point of view is Charlotte is doing Charlotte well. And you’ll always be disappointed if you expect Atlanta or Houston to have the qualities of DC. And again Im  moving to DC in May so I’m already a little homesick, lol. So maybe my opinion is just clouded right now 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Downtown Houston has some they were going to be condos but I think they converted them to all rentals.  https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/11/exclusive-new-details-revealed-for-first-micro.html

Do you know if this actually got built?  I was in that neighborhood -- about a block away -- last year, and cannot remember seeing anything taller than five stories on that side of the interstate.    

10 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

evidently not yet.  and they do remain condos.  https://www.houstoniamag.com/slideshows/2016/3/18/peek-inside-houston-s-first-micro-condos  

Charlotte is getting some micro apartments at RailYard but I think the market can support more of these especially in popular intown neighborhoods and uptown.  

Thanks for finding that.  I was wondering if the heat got to me when I was walking around there.  

It's a really cool idea.  I can't wrap my head around buying one of those units, especially at those prices in that particular neighborhood.  But I can totally see something like that working in Charlotte as a rental building in the right location.  

• Like 1

I’ll admit, I never got the buzz of Old buildings until I was walking around DC again. Only thing I wish for is more street retail reguardless of the buildings age.
8426B13E-5A55-4C25-9823-7F388C570CCD.thumb.jpeg.f3a1f6cbb3dfae52b884e859ce26dabb.jpeg

angel love, that’s beautiful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like that DC has height regulation. I feel that South End should strive to look like this one day. Many 8-15 story buildings with retail on the bottom. Rrguardless of building ages it would still make it more walkable and livley. I suppose I should just ask for this in Uptown as well.73B73369-D037-4D7A-8EE7-A1A42A26AE44.thumb.jpeg.9c20d5109c1bed8ae95e905b1a738048.jpeg