Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

19 hours ago, Dale said:

Would you agree that there is decidedly more synergy than, say, ten years ago ? I rest my case.

It's basically hair, shoe repair and cheap eats. Which is why it doesn't impede higher quality retail elsewhere. See: Minneapolis.

I like when a city's downtown has a handful of cheap national chains. It can be nice if you have to be stuck on foot for a long time or in a pinch.

The most frustrating moments in my various tips to Boston, NYC, Denver, was when I was on my last $20 and needed it to stretch two days for meals, but all I could find were fancy restaurants and expensive sandwich shops. In that respect, I do kind of wish some of Overstreet's tenants could be street level (and open after 5pm, but that's a general downtown issue in the south).

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

I also wish that the Latta Arcade was open on weekends and there was a Steinmart uptown somewhere. They are cheap and have a variety of goods. It would also be nice if there was a place to get a watch repaired, see a travel agent, browse an antique shop, shoot a game of pool or throw darts; It is hard to believe that at one time uptown Charlotte had it all and shopping was excellent. Unfortunately, we went the route of other cities that grew out and had to build shopping centers. It will change I believe. The problem is that the old places like the National Shirt Shop, Tanners, and numerous small shops are no longer affordable.  It is so costly to keep anywhere open. Even shops, small bistros,  and pubs in London are closing because of the expense to run a small business these days. The volume of sales just isn't enough these days to sustain a business in many cases. 

13 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

No clue where to put this, but If you fast forward to 39min it shows David Copperfield "escaping" from Hotel Charlotte before it was imploded in 1988.

If only the building was still standing today. There are a couple of buildings I wish weren't destroyed including the Independence Building.

• Like 2

Hotel Charlotte where the Carillon stands today was a great old building. But at that point in history of Charlotte it was so expensive to renovate. Yes now it would be and it would have been a great apartment building.  Dittos for Independence Bldg Charlotte's first high rise. Would make a great boutique hotel today. Our city is so modern people are surprised when I tell them President George Washington stayed in uptown Charlotte in 1791 and reportedly left his wig powder behind LOL. But I am excited we are going to save some of our old mills and the old Ford Model T plant. 

• Like 3

^it's probably all up to opinion though. I love how new and modern uptown is. But from growing up in winston myself, clt lacks that grit and historic feel. I think we get too caught up with that standard of uptown that we start critiquing every little thing that is out of uptowns norm.

For instance, I'm in Asheville right now. We on UP often complain about how ugly the Ascents mural is on the garage side, but if that same mural was hoisted up on some building here in Asheville, hell even winston, nobody would think twice. We sometimes seem to dismiss the quirkiness and weirdness of things here, that uptown could use. Also I haven't been to asheville in years and blown away with all the retail and boutique stores that line the streets. 

I know we are making great strides and changes with our streetscape in terms of retail and stuff, but really makes me wonder how clt missed the boat on all of this  from the beginning, when smaller cities like asheville and Greenville have a plenty 

• Like 3

On 2/11/2017 at 6:27 PM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

For instance, I'm in Asheville right now. We on UP often complain about how ugly the Ascents mural is on the garage side, but if that same mural was hoisted up on some building here in Asheville, hell even winston, nobody would think twice. We sometimes seem to dismiss the quirkiness and weirdness of things here, that uptown could use.

I have to disagree with that...the Ascent mural is very uptown Charlotte in that it looks like it was designed by a committee, not by an artist. Asheville (Winston too in parts) and many other small cities have great murals and street art because they entrust an established artist to just run with an idea. 

1 hour ago, nonillogical said:

I have to disagree with that...the Ascent mural is very uptown Charlotte in that it looks like it was designed by a committee, not by an artist. Asheville (Winston too in parts) and many other small cities have great murals and street art because they entrust an established artist to just run with an idea. 

I agree with you.  Some may argue though, that the definition of art is up to perception and opinion.  Some may like the mural, while others don't.  I by no means like what's up there currently and agree that it would have been cool if there was a known/local artist(s) involved.  Also think we are still figuring out things (cultural identity)...meaning you can't just slap up murals, weird sculptures, old vinyl/record store and an Earth Bound store and have "culture" in uptown.  It has to be organic.  

If all the shops were closed in Overstreet, I think a tube system would still have its purpose, just without shops. For example, when I worked at 1BAC, I would use the Overstreet mall path in the middle of the summer to get to Latta Arcade or the Green and enjoy the different restaurant scene if I had the time. However, if I had to walk outside in August in the humidity all the way to Latta, I wouldn't be able to do it. I can't come back to the office after lunch dripping in sweat and looking like a mess before a presentation. Some people... maybe. But for most people their appearance matters at work, especially the Uptown bank scene. 

Without the Overstreet Mall, at least during the summer, people would further be segmented to their little corner of Uptown. You won't see BofA people and Wells people walking across town, they'll just go to the place on their ground level and spend as little time outside as possible.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dale said:

We know that Uptown lacks the quirkiness of a downtown Asheville. But does Uptown even the ingredients for quirkiness ? When I observe the people who work and play Uptown, I don't think quirky.

Similar to "Keep Austin Weird" that other cities also adopted, I want to make a campaign for Charlotte.  "Make Charlotte Interesting"  

Maybe we will get a Trump Group's Scion hotel...

“Eric said they were hoping to locate Scion, offering a lower-price alternative to their Trump International Hotel brand, in large to midsize ‘trendy’ cities like Austin, Tex., Charlotte, N.C., and Nashville.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article132390604.html

Renderings of the first Scion hotel planned in downtown Dallas: http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2017/02/01/new-trump-brand-hotel-project-proposed-south-side-downtown-dallas

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1