Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

On 1/28/2017 at 4:47 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Certain energy companies had a new home in charlotte until suddenly they decided they didn't want a new home, so emoji848.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you expand on this?  I haven't had my coffee yet so i'm not sure what you are hinting at or trying to refer to.

11 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Could you expand on this?  I haven't had my coffee yet so i'm not sure what you are hinting at or trying to refer to.

I'm sayin certain Energy companies signed on to new space at certain buildings and then pulled out, causing companies to scramble and sign on partners to help them fill the space. Those companies pulling out and being tied to the purchase of land sounds interesting.

Edited by Guest

I have no knowledge of the situation whatsoever, so I don't mind making a guess since I won't be betraying any confidentiality.  RDF, maybe you can indicate if I am close?  At one point Tryon Place was supposed to be a tower as nearly as tall as the Lincoln Harris project, and I believe there was some discussion on UP that the very "green" initial design of Tryon Place would be conducive to an Energy company across the street busting at the seams for space.   Since then Tryon Place has had to scramble, been reduced in size, and gone through multiple redesigns. It would make sense that some potential tenant backed out.

Regardless of whether it was Tryon Place or not, it is interesting that this might actually work out to where we get a shorter Tryon Place with a nice pedestrian experience, but be compensated with an additional high-rise (density) just a block or so away.  What would really be interesting is if Duke has the needed capacity to move forward with a tower potentially taller than what we will get with Tryon Place.  If a hotel is added (particularly a convention hotel), this would end up being a dream scenario almost.

Again, I have no insider knowledge whatsoever, so I may be completely off-base, but I don't mind taking a stab at putting 2+2 together.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, NYCLT said:

I also believe his use of the plural word "companies" may indicate consolidating space from a recent acquisition?

Honestly, I personally thought the buyer was going to be a different adjacent company. I'm just saying the timing is very interesting. 

Maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but this is one of the last really big plots that's not on the periphery, but rather nestled inside (once the Tryon Place and Observer Site projects are underway) the "skyscraper cluster" that could easily support a tall, perhaps a Corporate Center challenging tower. I'm not expecting such a building, but if this site does not see a building at least 30-40 floors I'd consider it a waste. 

• Like 1

I am looking at an ad for yet another office building at the Durham Bulls ballpark in Durham. This makes the 3rd building with decks to view the ballpark. What happened with our building proposed at BB&T Ballpark? Does anyone know any updates? Look at this: http://www.555mangumst.com/  There seems to a big demand in Triangle for this why not here? 

Make that 4 buildings I forgot there is 1,2 and 3 Diamond View office buildings at the Durham Bulls ballpark

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I am looking at an ad for yet another office building at the Durham Bulls ballpark in Durham. This makes the 3rd building with decks to view the ballpark. What happened with our building proposed at BB&T Ballpark? Does anyone know any updates? Look at this: http://www.555mangumst.com/  There seems to a big demand in Triangle for this why not here? 

I think there would be demand here.  I also think, despite league leading attendance since arriving Uptown, that a view of BB&T and the Knights is less of a draw than in Durham.  First, Knights are a minor league team in a major league city (Panthers, Hornets).  Second, despite the aforementioned attendance, near universal praise and exquisite views, I don't love the park.  The inside is good, the outside (particularly along the third base line) is either mediocre or terrible.  The AA park in Birmingham is, IMO, much nicer.  The design reminds me of the Mint across the street.  I know this is not a common opinion but whenever I pass it I get pissed off (because they were so close to a truly superb ballpark).  Comparatively, Durham's park is much cooler (IMO) and with the restored warehouses that are adjacent a place I would much rather have my office.  One man's opinion...

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but I saw on Instagram that jj red hots is taking one of the new retail spots at church and mlk 

Glad to see them uptown but they would have been a perfect fit for the yougrt shop storefront at the ballpark. That space feels like a lost opportunity with its current (?) tenant.

[said with the caveat that the Knights probably have some kind of exclusivity agreement with hot dogs]

Edited by kermit

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Yes sir, they announced a bit ago. They are taking the space inbetween b.good and Rhino

All in the redeveloped parking garage spaces? Good lord, Church St/Third Ward is going from severely limited options to the place to be.

Especially interested in Rhino Market. It's like Common Market's less-insomnia-ridden cousin (they have open/closed hours), so I'm curious to see an Uptown version.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

On 5/5/2016 at 11:20 AM, Crown said:

So haven't seen any progress on this project at all.. Anyone have an idea what the holdup is? I'm not crazy about this added on aspect of the project, but would like to see this cool old building being used for something... 

On 1/23/2017 at 11:07 AM, cjd5050 said:

Not sure why I thought of this but right now Discovery Place has a pretty small parking ramp sandwiched between it's properties.  Does anyone know if it's possible for some sort of tower to be built on top of the ramp without demolishing the ramp itself?  

Asking for a couple of reasons.  1) It's not really an ideal use of space.  2) If something could be built on top of it, the value of that could go a long way to providing funding for other efforts like programming at Discovery Place itself.  

Where is this ramp you speak of?

22 hours ago, grodney said:

Well since we're talking about it.....here it is today:

20170131_111625_zpsdxhcbzuq.jpg

20170131_111655_zps9b5cjzrd.jpg

This is quite possibly the most exciting project in all of Charlotte. Converting a PARKING DECK to street-facing retail is literally the best possible thing that can happen to an urban environment, short of actually razing the parking for a real building. I vaguely recall not being too excited about the actual design, but the retail itself is solid. I can't wait to be a regular at Rhino.

22 hours ago, HopHead said:

What in the hell is that????

Charles Johnson's plans for the Firehouse at 5th and Graham. Yea, not crazy about them, but do want to see that building utilized...

15 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Where is this ramp you speak of?

This is quite possibly the most exciting project in all of Charlotte. Converting a PARKING DECK to street-facing retail is literally the best possible thing that can happen to an urban environment, short of actually razing the parking for a real building. I vaguely recall not being too excited about the actual design, but the retail itself is solid. I can't wait to be a regular at Rhino.

I am excited about a Rhino Market & Deli in uptown as well. Would definitely "hang" there... Anybody remember The Rhinoceros Club on Church St? I miss having a place to shoot pool in uptown, anyone know of another place in uptown with a pool table?

• Like 1

Was uptown last night and could see inside the Bank of America Plaza. (For orientation, this is the side of the building that sides with Chima Brazilian Steakhouse) Since I was previously unable to see inside I want to know if this elevator shaft was there before, if not I have a feeling this could be a large, multi floor retailer of some kind (I have a feeling I'd know who as well) It's difficult to see but there's a large opening in the floor with a guardrail surrounding it looking to the floor(s) below, so I feel safe saying this isn't a parking elevator. Thoughts?

1 minute ago, nakers2 said:

Was uptown last night and could see inside the Bank of America Plaza. (For orientation, this is the side of the building that sides with Chima Brazilian Steakhouse) Since I was previously unable to see inside I want to know if this elevator shaft was there before, if not I have a feeling this could be a large, multi floor retailer of some kind (I have a feeling I'd know who as well) It's difficult to see but there's a large opening in the floor with a guardrail surrounding it looking to the floor(s) below, so I feel safe saying this isn't a parking elevator. Thoughts?

Not sure why I can't see the picture I posted, I'll try and edit later, but essentially just picture a glass elevator like you'd find in a mall.

Edited by nakers2
  • Like 1