Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Just some observations from walking down Tryon this morning.  Scaffolding is coming down from 300 S Tryon as well as the ground floor renovations at the BAC Plaza.

Also, I seem to remember Goldman Sachs buying the 201 S Tryon Building.  They did not renew the lease for Allen Tate Realtors, and would not give them month to month extensions which forced the office to go into a temporary location in Level.  They are now on Tryon next to the Wooden Vine.  But the thing is why did they kick them out?  I would love it if Dean and Deluca expanded to have more of a Southpark presence in downtown.  Anyone know anything?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DMann said:

Just some observations from walking down Tryon this morning.  Scaffolding is coming down from 300 S Tryon as well as the ground floor renovations at the BAC Plaza.

Also, I seem to remember Goldman Sachs buying the 201 S Tryon Building.  They did not renew the lease for Allen Tate Realtors, and would not give them month to month extensions which forced the office to go into a temporary location in Level.  They are now on Tryon next to the Wooden Vine.  But the thing is why did they kick them out?  I would love it if Dean and Deluca expanded to have more of a Southpark presence in downtown.  Anyone know anything?

Thanks for the updates. Do you have any idea when the 300 S. Tryon crane will come down?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DMann said:

I noticed the Allen Tate--the leader in Real Estate 'round here for decades--space empty, as well.  Interesante--it definitely piqued my interest.  On the flip side, though, I'm definitely not hoping for a Dean and Deluca expansion.  The entire lobby of that building needs sprucing up.  I'm thinking hoping for larger reno plans.

Edited by alb1no panther

On 1/24/2017 at 8:05 AM, HopHead said:

The new Ivey's Hotel turned out really well. First class all the way. The brick and hardwoods give is a nice warm feel too. Surprised one of our other posters didn't post this article here first.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/78860/iveys-hotel-ready-bring-boutique-class-uptown/

Looks very Parisian. 

3 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

I've heard a certain energy company may or may not be interested and in negotionations for the site. Can't confirm or deny, no idea what that certain energy company might be though. Especially here in CLT. :ph34r:

and I heard a Duke Energy employee tell me today how they are shuffling everyone around and everyone is squeezed in.  Hmmm  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

and I heard a Duke Energy employee tell me today how they are shuffling everyone around and everyone is squeezed in.  Hmmm  

This is a big site, big enough for quite a transformative project (development buzzword, smh) if they waste it on a short tower or something I'm gonna be legitimately pissed off, especially next to the expanse of shortness that is the convention center.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

This is a big site, big enough for quite a transformative project (development buzzword, smh) if they waste it on a short tower or something I'm gonna be legitimately pissed off, especially next to the expanse of shortness that is the convention center.

The price that will have to be paid to the church (Jesus does NOT like to give up his land for cheap), it will have to be MAJORLY mixed use and extensive. 

53 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

've heard a certain energy company may or may not be interested and in negotionations for the site. Can't confirm or deny, no idea what that certain energy company might be though. Especially here in CLT. :ph34r:

14 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

Considering the size of the site, it would be interesting to know if there are any discussions about a hotel in addition to an office tower on this site.  Since it is adjacent to the convention center, this would be the perfect spot for a full size convention hotel.  With the Westin payments soon ending, the timing would be right as well.  Fingers crossed someone more important than me goes through the same thought process.

• Like 1

I've heard a certain energy company may or may not be interested and in negotionations for the site. Can't confirm or deny, no idea what that certain energy company might be though. Especially here in CLT. [emoji185]

Certain energy companies had a new home in charlotte until suddenly they decided they didn't want a new home, so [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

The price that will have to be paid to the church (Jesus does NOT like to give up his land for cheap), it will have to be MAJORLY mixed use and extensive. 

Why would any landowner give up their land for cheap?  That this is a church selling the land seems irrelevant.  Regarding Jesus, I think he should be left out of the discussion...  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

My gosh what a douchey thing to say. Are you even sure the church owns it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Finkle said:

The Church doesn't own the lots, Eastern Federal ( old movie theater company) and Consolidated Realty own it. Consolidatedo have been assembling  the multiple parcels for years. 

Yeah I didn't think the church owned that property, I feel like they would've already used it for something church related if they did.

41 minutes ago, Missmylab4 said:

F*ck the church.

A really unnecessary comment. 

1 hour ago, JBS said:

Why would any landowner give up their land for cheap?  That this is a church selling the land seems irrelevant.  Regarding Jesus, I think he should be left out of the discussion...  

45 minutes ago, jednc said:

My gosh what a douchey thing to say. Are you even sure the church owns it?

Take a joke guys, and true, regardless of who owns it, it's their land and selling to a developer isn't charity. 

• Like 2

Getting back to this parking lot where the soil tests are being done, is this property under due diligence or under contract with someone? Why would the landowner pay to do that, for it seems to be likely a  buyer would do it?  Something is up with this parcel and this is the last South Tryon street parcel as a parking lot inside the 277 loop. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Missmylab4 said:

F*ck the church.

Brilliant comment. Does it have any intelligent reasoning?  The church has been there for over 150 years. It has historical significance. People are often complaining about Charlotte tearing down its historical buildings and this is your comment?  I understand land use and that it is only a building, yet it does have historical significance. It would be great to keep it around. 

Out of sheer curiousity I stopped by the site in question today, a few things I noted.

1.The lot was blocked off, only one car was parked in there curiously enough, not sure how they got in though. 

2.There were clear signs of soil testing as well was what I presume were utility markings, as well as marking around the light poles. (Not an expert on utility markings, sorry I cannot provide more insight) 

3. Not sure if related, but there was some scaffolding on the house next to the Church, whether it's restoration or possibly an attempt to shore up the building against possible settling is beyond me. 

4. Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but since it sits on the loading ramp for the Duke Energy Center, the Harvey Gantt center was constructed in conjunction with Duke Energy, meaning that they may have designed it with future site uses in mind, I.E., no windows on the side overlooking the parking lot. Perhaps I'm looking too much into it, but it would seem like they'd do more with that side of the building if there was any doubt something would be done with the land next door. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

4. Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but since it sits on the loading ramp for the Duke Energy Center, the Harvey Gantt center was constructed in conjunction with Duke Energy, meaning that they may have designed it with future site uses in mind, I.E., no windows on the side overlooking the parking lot. Perhaps I'm looking too much into it, but it would seem like they'd do more with that side of the building if there was any doubt something would be done with the land next door. 

Thoughts?

Nah, don't read anything into the design of the Gantt center,  building code prevents windows and other fire hazards on walls that may eventually abut adjacent buildings.