Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

16 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

The new Omni facade has been approved and renderings are in Accela.  It def looks better...nothing earth shattering, but it makes that corner of College/Trade less monotonous.

Here you go.

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 11.31.03 AM.png

^Definitely an improvement.  Not shown in the rendering is the Walgreens too.  I really wish they would add some electronic video board or some kind of billboard type thing on that blank wall above Walgreens windows (some may disagree with me).  But I think it would compliment Epicentre's video boards and make that area feel even more of an entertainment district. Doesn't have to be big but something I guess would be better than what it is now.1.png

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

^Definitely an improvement.  Not shown in the rendering is the Walgreens too.  I really wish they would add some electronic video board or some kind of billboard type thing on that blank wall above Walgreens windows (some may disagree with me).  But I think it would compliment Epicentre's video boards and make that area feel even more of an entertainment district. Doesn't have to be big but something I guess would be better than what it is now.1.png

I think I heard that walgreens is going to leaving a big open spot for retail there soon.

Talking about the Omni facade improvements got me thinking about the other improvements being made to some of the parking garages. 

Not sure how feasible this would be and i'm sure people would accuse Charlotte as being fake or trying to create something we really never had but I would love to see some of these parking garages wrapped in an old facade or a facade to resemble older/historic buildings, would be interesting to use the facades of older buildings being demolished in other cities.  The parking garage on church street which is being retrofitted with more retail is a perfect candidate for this.  Now I'm sure something like this would be expensive but surely it's no more expensive than some other options used to cover parking garages. 

Hopefully the pictures i attached show up, the first should be of the parking garage on Church Street that is being retrofitted with more retail.  The next picture is what it could look like with the "historic" looking facade.  The windows on the top three floors do not need to be functional since the only thing behind them would be bracing for the facade and of course the bottom floor is where the retail will be.  This creates a much more inviting streetscape and gives our city some "historic" charm that we have so little of. 

Church Street 2.jpg

Church Street .jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Talking about the Omni facade improvements got me thinking about the other improvements being made to some of the parking garages. 

Not sure how feasible this would be and i'm sure people would accuse Charlotte as being fake or trying to create something we really never had but I would love to see some of these parking garages wrapped in an old facade or a facade to resemble older/historic buildings, would be interesting to use the facades of older buildings being demolished in other cities.  The parking garage on church street which is being retrofitted with more retail is a perfect candidate for this.  Now I'm sure something like this would be expensive but surely it's no more expensive than some other options used to cover parking garages. 

Hopefully the pictures i attached show up, the first should be of the parking garage on Church Street that is being retrofitted with more retail.  The next picture is what it could look like with the "historic" looking facade.  The windows on the top three floors do not need to be functional since the only thing behind them would be bracing for the facade and of course the bottom floor is where the retail will be.  This creates a much more inviting streetscape and gives our city some "historic" charm that we have so little of. 

Church Street 2.jpg

Church Street .jpg

This would be feasible, but the deck owners would have to quadruple their parking rates just to afford the upfit, and then they would no longer be competitively priced. 

16 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The Ponce City Market and that quadrant of the beltline are spectacular. I completely agree that this portion of Atlanta (along with Midtown, Old Fourth Ward, Inman Park, Candler Park and Decatur) is beginning to live up to its remarkable potential. However, the strange thing about Atlanta is that, outside the beltline itself, nobody walks (or uses transit).  Many an early evening I have been the -only- pedestrian between the Candler Park Marta and Little Five Points. It seems clear that great destinations (like Ponce CM) are not enough to get people walking. Thankfully, this is something that Charlotte does better.

• Like 1

Clayton Sealey

Clayton Sealey.  Clayton is an art director living in New York City who was born and raised in Charlotte and has a keen interest in the urban growth and development of his hometown.

RDF2 revealed at last!  GREAT STORY! THANKS SO MUCH!

Edited by QCxpat

7 minutes ago, QCxpat said:

Clayton Sealey

Clayton Sealey.  Clayton is an art director living in New York City who was born and raised in Charlotte and has a keen interest in the urban growth and development of his hometown.

RDF2 revealed at last!  GREAT STORY! THANKS SO MUCH!

haha, oh lord.

21 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

It's basically lipstick on a pig. That corner of that building is horrible, and they are essentially just making a 'design overhaul' to add a very large sign. I don't know what's in that corner of the building, but I would be much happier if there were a way to cram some retail space in there.

I think all of the large blank walls on that block should have a huge Charlotte-themed mural. Or just paint it teal an purple. Or silver and black. 

20 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

The CVS is so much worse than the Walgreens

False. Everything in Overstreet Mall is by default worse than everything outside of Overstreet Mall. That being said, Epicenter is only marginally better than Overstreet Mall by virtue of not being Overstreet Mall. Also, that CVS always feels grubby for some reason.

12 minutes ago, Spartan said:

It's basically lipstick on a pig. That corner of that building is horrible, and they are essentially just making a 'design overhaul' to add a very large sign. I don't know what's in that corner of the building, but I would be much happier if there were a way to cram some retail space in there.

I think all of the large blank walls on that block should have a huge Charlotte-themed mural. Or just paint it teal an purple. Or silver and black. 

False. Everything in Overstreet Mall is by default worse than everything outside of Overstreet Mall. That being said, Epicenter is only marginally better than Overstreet Mall by virtue of not being Overstreet Mall. Also, that CVS always feels grubby for some reason.

All CVSs are Grubby Nation Wide. 

As far as whats in the corner of the building its just a emergency staircase and 7 random parking spaces.

Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 10.28.26 AM.png

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Dale said:

Sounds like someone is triggered by Overstreet Mall. I've always liked it. And it is clearly not impeding street activity. Every time I visit Uptown, it's sidewalks are awash with foot traffic.

Awash in foot traffic? I think you either only come during the business day or have a very low threshold for using the word awash.  It's a little better than when I moved here 3 years ago but it's basically a ghost town much of the time. There's a reason there are no stores...

Overstreet Mall is so depressing to me. Antiquated and mostly national fast food places. I hate going in there. Unless it's rainy and I need to get a bagel fix.

• Like 2

Overstreet Mall is very crowded during lunch periods and yes it is almost deserted during weekends and evenings. However it does serve a purpose many uptown workers love it because they dont have to get outside in the heat or excessive cold or rain. Here of late it has not hurt the street level retail scene. It was modeled after the system in Minneapolis and at least it is better than the tunnel system Houston and Toronto has. You can really get lost underground! It will probably not be expanded again.  The history of it was it was built to compete with suburban malls when you had 2 huge department stores uptown Belks (where BofA CC is today) and Iveys department store. There used to be an overstreet mall bridge over Tryon. I have a photo of it I took when I was a kid. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Awash in foot traffic? I think you either only come during the business day or have a very low threshold for using the word awash.  It's a little better than when I moved here 3 years ago but it's basically a ghost town much of the time. There's a reason there are no stores...

Overstreet Mall is so depressing to me. Antiquated and mostly national fast food places. I hate going in there. Unless it's rainy and I need to get a bagel fix.

Would you agree that there is decidedly more synergy than, say, ten years ago ? I rest my case.

36 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

The only saving grace is caribou coffee. Though I hate that that, and Jackson's Java, chose bank-serving locations.

It's basically hair, shoe repair and cheap eats. Which is why it doesn't impede higher quality retail elsewhere. See: Minneapolis.

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Would you agree that there is decidedly more synergy than, say, ten years ago ? I rest my case.

It's basically hair, shoe repair and cheap eats. Which is why it doesn't impede higher quality retail elsewhere. See: Minneapolis.

Yeah, I agree it doesn't impede anything on the street level. I have no idea about 10 years ago but from what i've read you're certainly right that the downtown area is more vibrant now (low bar). I see so many fairly inexpensive things, based on other much more vibrant places i have lived, that could make it better though. It's almost like the city doesn't even care. Why do we pay for these trips they take to benchmark themselves against other cities when nothing seems to come of it. I guess I'm getting this thread way off track so I'll stop now.