Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

19 hours ago, kermit said:

Has Charlotte ever had a large gathering place for the public before? This is pretty fantastic.

(street festivals don't count since narrow widths tend to limit the impact of crowds)

CaE49S4WIAAriCB.jpg:large

From the tweeter of Bob Morgan

Nope. In fact, I remember when they were building that park, they wanted it to be the central gathering spot in the city. They said something to the effect of "when the Panthers win the Superbowl, this is where the party will be."

20 hours ago, kermit said:

Has Charlotte ever had a large gathering place for the public before? This is pretty fantastic.

(street festivals don't count since narrow widths tend to limit the impact of crowds)

CaE49S4WIAAriCB.jpg:large

From the tweeter of Bob Morgan

Sort of, not really.  If anyone remembers when they had Center City Music festival, they would have 30-40k people around the main stage for acts like Kid Rock on a Saturday night. Of course that was in surface parking lots which definitely were not public space.  The main stages would be basically where the park and ball park is now.  

Man I missed those music festivals. Cheap 3 days tickets (comparatively) and some big time acts. 

28 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Sort of, not really.  If anyone remembers when they had Center City Music festival, they would have 30-40k people around the main stage for acts like Kid Rock on a Saturday night. Of course that was in surface parking lots which definitely were not public space.  The main stages would be basically where the park and ball park is now.  

Man I missed those music festivals. Cheap 3 days tickets (comparatively) and some big time acts. 

Woah, you just reminded me of seeing MC Hammer at Speed Street, right in the Bearden park parking lot. I remember thinking what an ass-end-of-the-event wasteland it was.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Cheap Trick (YAAAY) Trade and Tryon stage 10 pm Saturday night for SPeedWeek. Great crowd. Hard to see them but the speakers were 11 or maybe even 12.

Free. Impossible to say if this many people but a large crowd nonetheless. From UP 2007:  See here now.

CarolinaDaydreamin said:
You'd think they could get some better people than that. How about Lynyrd Skynyrd and Charlie Daniels they are touring soon in Greenville, they would appeal to the Nascar crowd.

They are trying to present a broad spectrum of music to appeal to other people than they "typical" NASCAR fan that you mention. NASCAR is one of the fastest growing and most popular events in the country and it is quite evident of their leadership's effots to reach out to new audiences.

2007 Speed Week Entertainment Schedule

Miller Lite Stage - The Wreckers followed by Sara Evans

Coca-Cola Stage - After 7 followed by Tony!Toni!Tone!

Budweiser Stage - Bill Pinkney of the Original Drifters, Maurice Williams of Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs, The Tams, Billy Scott, The voice of the Catalinas and Fantastic Shakers - Bo Shronce, The voice of the Embers - Jackie Gore

FRIDAY, MAY 25

Miller Lite Stage - Loverboy

Coca-Cola Stage - Chevrolet presents Joe Nichols

Budweiser Stage - Better than Ezra

SATURDAY, MAY 26

Miller Lite Stage - Puddle of Mudd

Coca-Cola Stage - Cheap Trick

Budweiser Stage - Danielle Peck followed by Diamond Rio

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Dale said:

Sorry, Two Wells Fargo at 301 S Tryon St

Yeah that building has been fenced off for a while as they have been doing some exterior work. I haven't seen the orange fencing though......hmmm. My guess is they're getting closer to the ground with the work. Not entirely sure though

16 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

To anyone that has been in Washington DC a lot: is Charlotte's modern-esque style, and uptown tower, boom making you think that CLT is eventually going to look a lot like the very urban parts of DC?

Not once. But I am not an architecture guy.

DC has tons of nice low rise brick structures between its modernist stuff. We have none of that connective tissue. The styles might be similar, but DC's compactness and density make me read their modern in a very different way than I see ours. 

Edit: having just passed through DC on the train I can see some connections between NoMa and Southend. NoMa has the desmity that Southend should have had. Otherwise I do see some archetectual similarities.

Edited by kermit

14 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

To anyone that has been in Washington DC a lot: is Charlotte's modern-esque style, and uptown tower, boom making you think that CLT is eventually going to look a lot like the very urban parts of DC?

We're shaping up to be more like the area around the Rosslyn/Courthouse metro stops. There are some places where you might swear you were in Charlotte: https://goo.gl/maps/2ECKHvLtcVn .  Hopefully we can do better, though.

22 minutes ago, Spartan said:

We're shaping up to be more like the area around the Rosslyn/Courthouse metro stops. There are some places where you might swear you were in Charlotte: https://goo.gl/maps/2ECKHvLtcVn .  Hopefully we can do better, though.

I think there's sort of a Sun Belt boom town style...well, sort of style...particularly with center city skylines.

All the towers are of similar age and many by the same architects. 

Los Angeles-Dallas-Houston-Atlanta-Charlotte...

I lived in Los Angeles for a couple of years and I always kept getting a odd Charlotte vibe. Though at first glance they're dramatically different, on the ground and in their histories there are some strong similarities.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Visitor from Los Angeles was at Hornets game. Said he was impressed with view of Charlotte from L. A. with big banks, Panthers, lots of downtown energy. Looking around the arena he said "I guess there is money here but they sure do not spend it on clothes."

My opinion: he was spot on.

Women dress nice in Charlotte, pretty much all the time. Men, however, do not. 

Just now, Jayvee said:

100% yes. Women are always so dressed up at night. Guys never threw away their clothes from college and bought new ones. 

Well, honestly, a lot of men do spend money on the clothes they are wearing, its just there are a lot of men wearing $200 relaxed fit jeans.