Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

47 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

I'm sorry, but telling everyone where their posts should go is getting quite old. Mpretori, in case nobody has said it, thanks for contributing to the forums.

Really? Hmmm, seems like something that has a simple solution but man I just don't know what it is....oh yeah perhaps stop doing it? Just trying to have and maintain structure.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mpretori said:

They had to be haggled, pressured ,and coerced to put in that flex retail-residential space, but that, combined with adding benches around the courtyards along thr Parkwood multi-use path, will make it a pretty decent project compared to south end's average development. 

Edited by SgtCampsalot

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Really? Hmmm, seems like something that has a simple solution but man I just don't know what it is....oh yeah perhaps stop doing it? Just trying to have and maintain structure.

Seroiusly, things don't have to be so strict and rigid here. Now, had there been a page worth of discussion about said apartment project (that is only announced and not yet under construction) I would agree that the discussion should be moved, but one post in the uptown misc. projects thread isn't going to ruin anyone's day. I feel like my post was pretty congenial and you respond with a condescending and generally smart-ass response which is much like some of your other posts here. All I'm saying is just relax, loosen up, and chill out a bit.

2 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

^ Are there any notable differences to BoA Plaza yet? All my excursions uptown have been centered around College & Church lately. Which is a good thing that all the action is no longer centered on a single street.

No there won't be for quite some time. The landscaping around the building is being removed and scaffolding will go up soon, but apart from that we wont see window blow out and structure work for a while.

Amazing new places coming uptown. I don't think we've seen a major rush of new places like this in 10 years. 7 on this list

flight, not just coffee, Essex, red eye diner, cotton room, Murphy's, 204 north 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/44737/april-may-openings-charlotte/

ah59396 (and others), join me in celebrating none of these places have cover, none of them are the usual crap, and they all contribute to advancing our nightlife 

• Like 1

LOVE the "no cover" aspect.

Cathode Azure, Bar 316, Sidelines and Petra's need to adopt this concept since we no longer live in a "private club" era.

IMHO.. they would get an immediate increase in patrons by eliminating a (so-called) tax to drink.

my .02

At the risk of being pessimistic (and kinda obvious), isn't it fair to say that HB2 has killed any hope for growth in the uptown office market? I can't imagine any company that would want uptown office space (meaning educated and highly skilled workers who have many options for places they could work) would move to NC now. In addition it seems like significant expansion of our existing firms seems unlikely to fill what has already been announced. 

I suppose that Tryon Place -may- have progressed beyond the point of cancellation, but I would not be surprised if the plug just got pulled on the office projects which are still merely percolating (e.g. Observer site)

Hope I am wrong, but it looks to me that the RWNJs in Raleigh just created legislation that put an immediate lid on the current Charlotte office RE cycle.

Edited by kermit

1 hour ago, kermit said:

At the risk of being pessimistic (and kinda obvious), isn't it fair to say that HB2 has killed any hope for growth in the uptown office market? I can't imagine any company that would want uptown office space (meaning educated and highly skilled workers who have many options for places they could work) would move to NC now. In addition it seems like significant expansion of our existing firms seems unlikely to fill what has already been announced. 

I suppose that Tryon Place -may- have progressed beyond the point of cancellation, but I would not be surprised if the plug just got pulled on the office projects which are still merely percolating (e.g. Observer site)

Hope I am wrong, but it looks to me that the RWNJs in Raleigh just created legislation that put an immediate lid on the current Charlotte office RE cycle.

It'll have next to no affect when the dust clears. Tryon Place is the topping out of office anyway. The observer site is a whole different animal but 615 will fill, Tryon place will fill, 300 s Tryon will fill. It'll take time but they will. Don't worry bud

• Like 2

If the lawsuits fail to overturn the law, then maybe. Until that is over though, I think everyone is in a wait and see mentality. If the law stands, I think the impacts will be roughly the same as South Carolina moving the confederate battle flag from on top of the Capitol to down by the street in front of it. A few boycotts, and marginal but probably not truly measurable economic impacts. If the law stands, I hope that the NBA moves the All-Star game and the NCAA bans post-season games from North Carolina. I think those two actions would make it the most 'real' in this state. Can you imagine what would happen if this state isn't able to host NCAA basketball tournament games anymore? 

In terms of businesses and Charlotte's growth, I think the fact that Charlotte passed the ordinance speaks more to our city than the fact that our state went out of their way to reject it.

• Like 1

On a different note, I had the opportunity to tour the Boutique Hotel going in to the Ivey's building.  These rooms will be priced in line with the Ritz, and from what I have seen it will be worth it.  42 rooms, well appointed, great location.  Target date is Sept - Oct.  this year.  All the framing is in as is electrical and plumbing.  Finishing comes next and custom appointed rooms with custom furniture.  

The 1st floor bar restaurant is going to be pretty big.  This is going to be a great addition.

• Like 3

Anyone wanna add or subtract from this list of in progress buildings?

Name Height*
ft / m
Floors Year Notes
Ascent Uptown 340 / 103 33 2016 33-story apartment tower being developed by Greystar Properties
Museum Tower Apartments 447 / 136 43 2016 43-story, 393 unit apartment tower being developed by Childress Klein. Being built on top of the Mint Museum of Modern Art.
Springhill Suites Uptown 200 / 61 17 2017 Broke ground Q3 2015
300 South Tryon[58] 463 / 141 25 2017 Broke ground on December 15, 2014
300 South Tryon Hotel 200 / 61 20 2017 Separate building from the main office tower. 20 stories with rooftop bar and 218 hotel rooms.
SkyHouse Charlotte II 273 / 83 24 2017 2nd phase of the SkyHouse project.
AC Hotel & Residence Inn Hotel 320 / 87 22 2017 Announced that a dual-branded 22-story hotel building containing an AC Hotels and a Residence Hotel will be built on top of the existing structure. Building Permits Issued and construction beginning by end of year.
615 South College 300 / 91 19 2017 Groundbreaking 08/14/2015 .[59]
Crescent Stonewall Station 230 / 70 19 2018 Whole Foods complex with high rise apartment building and other retail. Broke ground 01/06/2016
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Anyone wanna add or subtract from this list of in progress buildings?

Name Height*
ft / m
Floors Year Notes
Ascent Uptown 340 / 103 33 2016 33-story apartment tower being developed by Greystar Properties
Museum Tower Apartments 447 / 136 43 2016 43-story, 393 unit apartment tower being developed by Childress Klein. Being built on top of the Mint Museum of Modern Art.
Springhill Suites Uptown 200 / 61 17 2017 Broke ground Q3 2015
300 South Tryon[58] 463 / 141 25 2017 Broke ground on December 15, 2014
300 South Tryon Hotel 200 / 61 20 2017 Separate building from the main office tower. 20 stories with rooftop bar and 218 hotel rooms.
SkyHouse Charlotte II 273 / 83 24 2017 2nd phase of the SkyHouse project.
AC Hotel & Residence Inn Hotel 320 / 87 22 2017 Announced that a dual-branded 22-story hotel building containing an AC Hotels and a Residence Hotel will be built on top of the existing structure. Building Permits Issued and construction beginning by end of year.
615 South College 300 / 91 19 2017 Groundbreaking 08/14/2015 .[59]
Crescent Stonewall Station 230 / 70 19 2018 Whole Foods complex with high rise apartment building and other retail. Broke ground 01/06/2016

How about the hotel on top of the Carolina Theater and the 20 story hotel on top of the Epicentre? Has the height of the hotel at 300 S. Tryon been increased to 20 stories?  I read the other day that it was 17.  One more question. you listed the museum tower as 43 stories and that is what the rendering says nearby, but I keep seeing that it is going to be around 36 or 37. Is 43 actually the height?  I hope so. And thanks for listing these. I appreciate occasional updates. By the way, anything on the Tryon Place tower?

Edited by caterpillar2

50 minutes ago, Spartan said:

If the lawsuits fail to overturn the law, then maybe. Until that is over though, I think everyone is in a wait and see mentality. If the law stands, I think the impacts will be roughly the same as South Carolina moving the confederate battle flag from on top of the Capitol to down by the street in front of it. A few boycotts, and marginal but probably not truly measurable economic impacts. If the law stands, I hope that the NBA moves the All-Star game and the NCAA bans post-season games from North Carolina. I think those two actions would make it the most 'real' in this state. Can you imagine what would happen if this state isn't able to host NCAA basketball tournament games anymore? 

In terms of businesses and Charlotte's growth, I think the fact that Charlotte passed the ordinance speaks more to our city than the fact that our state went out of their way to reject it.

How come Houston is allowed to have NCAA tourney games? Or Championships for that matter? They passed the same law just recently I thought. Odd

56 minutes ago, Spartan said:

If the lawsuits fail to overturn the law, then maybe. Until that is over though, I think everyone is in a wait and see mentality. If the law stands, I think the impacts will be roughly the same as South Carolina moving the confederate battle flag from on top of the Capitol to down by the street in front of it. A few boycotts, and marginal but probably not truly measurable economic impacts.

But there's the rub. Wait and see mode means nothing moves forward -- thus pushing us out of the cycle. Firms deciding not to move to Charlotte is not a measurable economic impact, we will never know why they decided not to come. But it's pretty clear that no professional activities will move here while this issue remains.