Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

This is so exciting. Obviously anything will be a huge improvement but I hope we get at least one space that is actual retail and not all food/bars. I remember a rendering that had a book store in this space but obviously in 2016 and going forward, not sure how much a Barnes & Nobles make sense any more. Which is a shame. 

Obviously we will find out soon considering all of the staging and equipment outside of this building

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

This is so exciting. Obviously anything will be a huge improvement but I hope we get at least one space that is actual retail and not all food/bars. I remember a rendering that had a book store in this space but obviously in 2016 and going forward, not sure how much a Barnes & Nobles make sense any more. Which is a shame. 

Obviously we will find out soon considering all of the staging and equipment outside of this building

I second that although I'm not sure what non-restaurant/bar businesses will be able to afford the presumably astronomically-high rent in such a prime location.  Maybe I've just gotten so used to HAVING to leave Uptown to do ANY shopping other than a quick run to the HT next door (and even then I often have to stop at another HT on the way home because the Uptown one frequently doesn't carry or it sold out of what I need) that I have a hard time believing that any retail in Uptown that isn't clustered and/or doesn't cater primarily the weekday 9-to-5 crowd is going to have a tough time making it.  I hope I'm wrong!  Either way, it will be nice to have that tinted reflective glass wall on Tryon gone.  Every time I run down Tryon, I feel like the homeless who congregate on the benches and bus stops are staring at me from both sides of the sidewalk!

• Like 1

The CBJ has picked up the news that David Furman is working to resurrect plans for his 'Home Plate Lots' development across from BB&T Ballpark in the lot that was discussed in the 'Photo of the Day' thread last week.  The article also mentions he is currently working on four total projects: three in Uptown and one in South End.  We know the second in Uptown (the office/condo/Publix mixed-use site on Tryon between 9th and 10th), but does anyone know the third and the one in South End?  I assume he doesn't mean 1616 Center which is almost complete?

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2016/01/prominent-developer-architect-dusts-off-plans-for.html

100% speculative, but I'd guess the other uptown project is the parking lot behind Trademark and the South End site is the Kee Automotive site across Tryon from the DFA/common market site. I've heard office/retail and resi for that site which fits with what he does. 

24 minutes ago, CoffeeSamurai said:

I just noticed a sign opposite corner of Romare Bearden, across from mellow mushroom that says development coming soon. Is there a thread/info on this already? 

Former FBI field Office, being turned into 8,000 sq feet of retail.