Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/27/walgreens-boots-alliance-nears-deal-to-buy-rite-aid-dj-citing-sources.html

So if Walgreens buys Rite Aid, what do you think will happen to the Latta Arcade Rite Aid or the Walgreens in BofA Plaza? I am assuming they'll keep the Plaza Walgreens, and perhaps rebrand the Latta Arcade Rite Aid into a Walgreens....however I think it's more likely they close it. Thoughts?

he's right about this plague of horribly dated architecture that's taken over the world right now though.    

Oh look, there's an apartment building with painted hardiplank on some of the exterior walls with some other walls that are jagged.  is there an architecture by numbers guide released every year that these firms must use?  there's no doubt in my mind that in ten years we will all look back that this era of design and shake our heads.  this isn't a charlotte problem, it's an everywhere one.  

The problem is that these developers are large companies that are working on economies of scale, rather than economies of means. We need small developers building the middle-size housing and mixed-use projects. Maybe another ten years they will take off here? Perhaps many of us will be those small developers? We're all probably the most qualified.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

IRC the box art wasn't designed for Civilization, it was a poster for the Ramesses the Great exhibit at the Mint Museum in 1988-89. Though I'd prefer if there was a sarcophagus below the QC. :D 

As for the theoretical hotel at he Charlottr Observer site, wouldn't there be 3 hotels in a row? Now that's choice for you, we could call it the Charlotte Strip. 

A little bit of google-fu shows that this is in fact the actual game box. It's even on the wiki.  

http://www.civfanatics.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1123&c=19

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_(video_game)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know why the Builders Building on the corner of Pine and Trade across from TradeMark has been boarded up?

I noticed that today too and was wondering the exact same thing! That's freshly boarded up, but I am not sure why. That building is designated historic correct?

Edited by Jayvee

I noticed that today too and was wondering the exact same thing! That's freshly boarded up, but I am not sure why. That building is designated historic correct?

Yes it's historic, interestingly enough it used to have a Latta Arcade style arcade out the rear of it.

Buildersbldgarcade.thumb.jpg.927592b9814

Yes it's historic, interestingly enough it used to have a Latta Arcade style arcade out the rear of it.

Is it just me, or has the Latta Arcade gone downhill? It seems a bit mundane. It would be great if it was like Grove Arcade in Asheville with many interesting and unique shops but the Latta seems bleak and a wasted opportunity for creative ideas. 

Another note on the Builders Building.  I think somehow Patrick Cannon is tied to that building, either through ownership or his parking business.  His campaign headquarters were there if I remember correctly.  I wonder if the FBI has something to do with it being boarded up.

Is it just me, or has the Latta Arcade gone downhill? It seems a bit mundane. It would be great if it was like Grove Arcade in Asheville with many interesting and unique shops but the Latta seems bleak and a wasted opportunity for creative ideas. 

I think it's doing fine. The problem is that they're only open during the day, so it primarily caters to the uptown lunch crowd. Its worth walking through there at lunch though... the throngs of people make it feel like some other city.

I think it's doing fine. The problem is that they're only open during the day, so it primarily caters to the uptown lunch crowd. Its worth walking through there at lunch though... the throngs of people make it feel like some other city.

I was NOT impressed by QCBC :( their bar area was kind of cool, but the burger wasn't much for the price and really overcooked in my opinion. Fries need work. 

I have high hopes for Latta. Imagine if some of the smaller takeout only type shops turned into real attempts by serious restaurateurs. How cool would it be to have a food row? 

I was NOT impressed by QCBC :( their bar area was kind of cool, but the burger wasn't much for the price and really overcooked in my opinion. Fries need work. 

I have high hopes for Latta. Imagine if some of the smaller takeout only type shops turned into real attempts by serious restaurateurs. How cool would it be to have a food row? 

There is an Uncle Maddios style pizza place (Zablong Pizza) under construction right now in the last remaining spot. I think it's so strange that a travel agency and a realty (I think?) company still call it home there. I agree that every spot on the Brevard Court section should be restaurants or bars, and I also agree QCBC is okay at best. Bar area, beer selection and prices are great, food is beyond mediocre.

In other news, Bella Fresco Cafe is now under construction in the Carillon building. I am very excited for this.

Also, 4th Ward Bread Co has it's permits but there has been mild activity in the space. There's some framing going up

Lastly, Chupitos is dead in the water (again).

Edited by Jayvee

How is the beer selection?

I agree. I asked for my burger to be medium came out well done. Chilli was quite good, but I didn't try any beer.