Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

9 minutes ago, ES Charlotte said:

Got more info on Tryon Plaza... Unfortunately I can't disclose it.

Well crap. Maybe I need to get on the phone and talk to my contacts.

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Just saw this on Twitter not sure if it is true or not but...

CLT Development@CLTdevelopment 2m2 minutes ago

Looks like it potentially going to be a Hotel Indigo proposed for within Tryon Plaza. 8 total floors. And a public restaurant/bar on floor 4

Correcto, I preferred not to blow up my sources

Edited by ES Charlotte
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ES Charlotte said:

Correcto

Damn it I read TP as Tryon Place. I've heard about Hotel Indigo going in three places uptown now. Oy Vey. 

Edited by Guest

My sources say these floors or part of floors in Tryon Plaza are under contract 5,6,7,9, 10,12,16,18,19 and 20th floor. I think you could stitch a hotel together in those floors. Hotel Indigo is going in an old Portman office tower in downtown Atlanta too. This trend of conversions to hotels from older office buildings is ongoing across the USA and I am sure a lot cheaper than a new build for sure.  (Now all these floors may not be a hotel but they are under contract to someone)

• Like 1

Curious what my UP friends think about this initiative: 

Called Open Streets 704, the project will close down entire streets in Uptown and Noda to cars and turn them over to bikes and pedestrians for an afternoon — Sunday May 1 from noon to 4 p.m. The whole thing is inspired by city planner Gil Penalosa and funded by the Knight Foundation

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/43288/streets-uptown-noda-will-closed-traffic-may/

open-streets-704-map.jpg

^ beg to differ here.. but the first protected bike lane needs to effectively entice the 8-80 ( years old) folks to venture a bit further.  Getting off of the Little Sugar Creek Greenway onto 3rd and then trying to navigate thru multitude of merges and lane shifts at I-277 is an accident waiting to happen.  7th Street offers immediate destinations all along the route to the Blue Line as well as connectivity between the two uptown campuses of UNCC & CPCC.  Furthermore, it would be a direct connect for the bike centric neighborhoods of Plaza Midwood & Elizabeth.  Using the example of putting sidewalks where there are dirt pathways, 7th already shows relatively robust bike usage per the B-cycle & Strava heat maps http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#6/-120.90000/38.36000/blue/bike  this...     Why would you not place your bet where you have a much higher opportunity of success.?

• Like 1

^ cool map!

I agree that something NEEDS to be done to connect LSC Greenway and Midtown to uptown and the rail trail. One of the bigger problems I have encountered is that Elizabeth / Trade is a very attractive route into town from the greenway. However, its a deceptively dangerous route because of the streetcar changing its position relative to the curb. There is a great adhoc bike lane from the greenway to to just past Long st. At Long st the tracks curve towards the curb and the empty road space gets squeezed away -- the streetcar would squash a biker. This is not a big deal now since the streetcar frequency is low, however this will certainly become problematic when Phase II opens without a better route.

There is lots of available ROW along the high speed entrance ramp end of 5th street (just past the North end of the substation). There is plenty of room there for a dedicated / separate path which could be very useful with a new bike bridge across LSC. Just thinking out loud.

On March 16, 2016 at 5:28 PM, KJHburg said:

My sources say these floors or part of floors in Tryon Plaza are under contract 5,6,7,9, 10,12,16,18,19 and 20th floor. I think you could stitch a hotel together in those floors. Hotel Indigo is going in an old Portman office tower in downtown Atlanta too. This trend of conversions to hotels from older office buildings is ongoing across the USA and I am sure a lot cheaper than a new build for sure.  (Now all these floors may not be a hotel but they are under contract to someone)

Looks as if this was a fairly accurate report.  Hotel Indigo even looks to be the company.  Maybe this time Indigo will finally be able to make it happen in Charlotte.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/43464/hotel-indigo-charlotte-uptown/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

Looks as if this was a fairly accurate report.  Hotel Indigo even looks to be the company.  Maybe this time Indigo will finally be able to make it happen in Charlotte.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/43464/hotel-indigo-charlotte-uptown/

So hotel indigo chose this site in case a different one uptown didn't work out. IHG is not entirely happy they took it this far because their preferred site is a different one uptown. I was none to happy the agenda even included indigo in here but whatever. 

The other site is pretttyyyyy close to being a done deal and it's an incredibly strong possibility indigo ends up there, not here. This is very far away from a reality. 

2 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

So hotel indigo chose this site in case a different one uptown didn't work out. IHG is not entirely happy they took it this far because their preferred site is a different one uptown. I was none to happy the agenda even included indigo in here but whatever. 

The other site is pretttyyyyy close to being a done deal and it's an incredibly strong possibility indigo ends up there, not here. This is very far away from a reality. 

Any hints on what said other preferred site they have? 

17 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

^ beg to differ here.. but the first protected bike lane needs to effectively entice the 8-80 ( years old) folks to venture a bit further.  Getting off of the Little Sugar Creek Greenway onto 3rd and then trying to navigate thru multitude of merges and lane shifts at I-277 is an accident waiting to happen.  7th Street offers immediate destinations all along the route to the Blue Line as well as connectivity between the two uptown campuses of UNCC & CPCC.  Furthermore, it would be a direct connect for the bike centric neighborhoods of Plaza Midwood & Elizabeth.  Using the example of putting sidewalks where there are dirt pathways, 7th already shows relatively robust bike usage per the B-cycle & Strava heat maps http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#6/-120.90000/38.36000/blue/bike  this...     Why would you not place your bet where you have a much higher opportunity of success.?

This map/data are cool. However, the inherent problem with data like this is that it only shows you where people who use the Strava app or bcycle are riding, and it assumes that those people are representative of a larger population. B-cycle is arguably a better sample than Strava, but it's a self-constrained geography due to the location of their docking stations.

Further, if people are already riding in a particular location in large numbers, doesn't that imply that people are already comfortable riding there? Does the city really need to invest in a better facility there when it could invest in a location where there are lower numbers (but also where a demand exists) and expand the cycling network? Looking at that map, my take is that B-cycle needs to invest in adding stations to Plaza-Midwood, Noda, and the 5 Points/Wesley Heights/West Morehead area. Those neighborhoods have tons of cyclists and would probably support that business.

On 3/17/2016 at 8:41 AM, Crown said:

Curious what my UP friends think about this initiative: 

Called Open Streets 704, the project will close down entire streets in Uptown and Noda to cars and turn them over to bikes and pedestrians for an afternoon — Sunday May 1 from noon to 4 p.m. The whole thing is inspired by city planner Gil Penalosa and funded by the Knight Foundation

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/43288/streets-uptown-noda-will-closed-traffic-may/

open-streets-704-map.jpg

This is awesome.

39 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Would the new site be new construction or adaptive reuse of something like the Builders Building?

Edited by cltbwimob

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

Further, if people are already riding in a particular location in large numbers, doesn't that imply that people are already comfortable riding there? Does the city really need to invest in a better facility there when it could invest in a location where there are lower numbers (but also where a demand exists) and expand the cycling network?

The main thrust would be to encourage those who are not very adventuresome on their bikes.  Give them protected routes to popular destinations that visually sends a message to other potential cyclists and watch the numbers build with event greater numbers of riders. I see 3rd & 4th as pretty cold and barren viaducts.  Let's not simply put a protected bike lane in to move folks to the CBD, let's enable them to enjoy the journey.  I have no issue with Stonewall when it's time arrives.  Whole Foods et al will certainly be a draw to cyclists. But for the foreseeable future, that roadway will be a mess with constricted lanes for construction access.  The probability that the allow further lane constriction for a protected bike lane is remote at best.