Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

As much as I love all the color, I prefer Corp center to just be standard white. Kind of a bummer but whatever Charlotte overdoes everything 

I like for them to have the capability for special events, but mostly agree with you. I don't want them lighting it up a different color every night like the DEC does.

The corporate center used to do colors more frequently before the bottom fell out. They used wax colored covers on their lamps, so it was a very expensive task. I'm surprised it's taken them this long to upgrade to LEDs. The Panthers Blue was the first color I'd seen up there in years.

• Like 1

I generally like all of the buildings to be "normal" white light, but I like that the color-changing lights have evolved to be a common thing in Charlotte. It's great that BofA is finally getting on board with LEDs. I can't wait to see everything in teal when the Hornets make the play-offs!

1 hour ago, ES Charlotte said:

A boutique hotel could be coming to the Tryon Plaza office tower at 112 S Tryon St.

Potentially some building updates and amenities. A check in and a bar on that 4th floor where the outdoor balcony is.

May have some more updates this week.

That'd be super epic.

Average hotel in america is 48,000 sq feet, 115 rooms. This building is 151k sq feet. Means you could fit 360 rooms. I would guess they would be larger and more luxurious than average plus there'd be meeting space, amenities, and a ton of other stuff. So 250 rooms wouldn't be a stretch. 250 room boutique hotel, plus taking 151k office space off the market. 

Edited by Guest

As an employee in 112, I'll step in and be the wet blanket. The floors are sold off as office condos, so each floor is owned (ie, not leased) by different entities. If someone got creative, you might squeeze 10-11 rooms onto a floor, without amenities.

Edited by tozmervo
  • Like 3

Just did a back of the envelope calculation using CBRE office space data for the Uptown submarket (4q15) and numbers for new office space that have been discussed here. If everything gets built that has been announced recently (less the Trinity project at Morehead and Tryon -- plus some scuttlebutt) Charlotte will have roughly 48% of its office space in the Uptown submarket (up from 42% in 2007)

This is a big number, by way of comparison Portland has 48% of its office space in its downtown submarket, Minneapolis has 46%. (Atlanta only has 14% per CBRE)

FYI

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Charlotte does have a much greater percentage of office space in center city area than most peer cities like Atlanta, Nashville, Raleigh, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio and the list goes on. That is why for the life of me I don't understand companies like LPL and Lash Group moving from Charlotte to Ft Mill except for the obvious huge SC giveaways. Most of the roads in the Charlotte region lead to the center city from all directions not to mention the mass transit.

• Like 1

It is all about the giveaways and the fact that SC actually actively attempts to woo companies coming to the region. And it's working for both office usage and manufacturing. Getting massive tax breaks and more for 5-25 years can easily make up for the less desirable location.

In other news uptown looks like BB&T will renew their lease in the BB&T Building uptown. They have a lot of space 140,000 sq ft or so and it looks like they extended their lease. They could have been an anchor for a new building but I think they got a good deal there. New construction versus the quoted rate there is about 9-10 sq ft and that is significant in that huge amount of space.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte does have a much greater percentage of office space in center city area than most peer cities like Atlanta, Nashville, Raleigh, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio and the list goes on. That is why for the life of me I don't understand companies like LPL and Lash Group moving from Charlotte to Ft Mill except for the obvious huge SC giveaways. Most of the roads in the Charlotte region lead to the center city from all directions not to mention the mass transit.

The reverse commute aspect of relocating to Ft Mill is a big reason in my opinion.  It's going to be another decade before anything meaningful is done to help alleviate the congestion that exists on 77 from Westinghouse north and its only going to get worse until then. I'm a little biased though because I've been here in Ft Mill SC for 18yrs now and have and witnessed it from this POV.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

18th - 20th floors are for sale... biggest continuous block I see totaling about 23,000 square feet. Seems like an odd place for a hotel since so much is owned office units.

These floors have been for sale for years and they've had no traction. My guess is the hotel would be on 18th-20th and the 4th floor. What does that get you, roughly 60-70 rooms? 

4 minutes ago, ES Charlotte said:

These floors have been for sale for years and they've had no traction. My guess is the hotel would be on 18th-20th and the 4th floor. What does that get you, roughly 60-70 rooms? 

That'd be about 50 rooms. Man that'd be annoying though. I don't think Toz would like going to work and sharing an elevator with Joe and Milly from Minnesota. 

Edited by Guest