Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

One additional note, TWCA will be switching from AEG to Live Nation to manage concert bookings. Will be interested in seeing how much that changes what acts come to town. For the most part, Charlotte gets its fair share of big tours.

More info here: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/08/hornets-want-34-million-from-taxpayers-for-arena.html?page=all

Edited by wend28

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm not a huge NBA follower so I'm not really sure, but is the all-star game that big a deal? I guess it sounds like the NFL pro bowl which is such a joke. It seems like landing tournament games would be more impressive.

All Star games in general aren't what they used to be. It's a bigger difference from the last time Charlotte hosted the ASG. Back then your star players actually participated in the Slam Dunk contest for example. I'd argue that MLB has the best All Star game now. However, it's more about the economic boost and city exposure than anything else. 

All Star games in general aren't what they used to be. It's a bigger difference from the last time Charlotte hosted the ASG. Back then your star players actually participated in the Slam Dunk contest for example. I'd argue that MLB has the best All Star game now. However, it's more about the economic boost and city exposure than anything else. 

Couldn't agree more in that the MLB has, by far, the most important and best All-Star game now. The NBA one isn't as big of a joke as the NFL, but yes it is rather minor. The big draw would be that there would be a lot of people (including celebs) in town spending money.

And yeah I would love to get some tourney games here.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Continuing my jihad agaist extortionate beer prices at the arena for minor league hockey, Business Insider published a list of beer costs at NHL arenas. Charlotte does not compare favorably...

Disclaimer, my knowledge of arena prices in Charlotte is limited to craft only and the business insider data is for swill so this is admitedly apples and oranges.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-beer-prices-nhl-2014-10

Edited by kermit

Continuing my jihad agaist extortionate beer prices at the arena for minor league hockey, Business Insider published a list of beer costs at NHL arenas. Charlotte does not compare favorably...

Disclaimer, my knowledge of arena prices in Charlotte is limited to craft only and the business insider data is for swill so this is admitedly apples and oranges.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-beer-prices-nhl-2014-10

Ummm Charlotte doesn't have an NHL team

Just got home a little while ago... What a comeback by the Hornets. They looked dreadful in the first 3+ quarters. Down by as many as 24. Then stormed back. Kemba was clutch with the game tying 3 with 1 second to go in the 4th then hit the game winner in OT. The arena was packed. It was loud. Truly awesome night. The intro gave you goose bumps. You could hear everyone chanting "Lets Go Hornets" leaving the game. Only complaint, as kermit would appreciate, was the Beer Garden. Between the drunks cutting in line, slow service and running out of beer it wasn't a good experience. They need to find a way to clean that up. My first suggestion would be take away the liquor and just make it what the sign says... Beer Garden. 

• Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/bank_notes/2014/10/my-first-buzz-soaking-in-the-hornets-comeback.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&page=all

This is a very well written article that sums up the feeling last night. I think I probably gave 100 high fives and a dozen hugs to random people. We couldn't have asked for a better script in that game last night.

• Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/bank_notes/2014/10/my-first-buzz-soaking-in-the-hornets-comeback.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&page=all

This is a very well written article that sums up the feeling last night. I think I probably gave 100 high fives and a dozen hugs to random people. We couldn't have asked for a better script in that game last night.

Very nice piece. And it spoke to my experience as well. It was great seeing so many people doing what you said. Waiting to get into the arena I can't tell you how many people I heard say this was their first game in Charlotte since the days of the old Hive on Tyvola. People are genuinely excited for the return. 

• Like 1

Am I missing something?  Why is Bobby Phills being honored?  Why was his jersey retired in the first place, and now re-retired?  He played 5 years with the Cavs and then 3 years here.  Am I missing some great philanthropic story, or something else that would bring this on?  I'm not trying to trample on the guy's grave, but he was stupidly and recklessly going 75mph on Tyvola and crashed and killed himself (luckily only himself and not other innocents).  Right?  The whole ceremony the other night was really weird, and then to have the guys bring Wesley into the booth and talk about him even more -- yeesh.  I don't get it.

Am I missing something?  Why is Bobby Phills being honored?  Why was his jersey retired in the first place, and now re-retired?  He played 5 years with the Cavs and then 3 years here.  Am I missing some great philanthropic story, or something else that would bring this on?  I'm not trying to trample on the guy's grave, but he was stupidly and recklessly going 75mph on Tyvola and crashed and killed himself (luckily only himself and not other innocents).  Right?  The whole ceremony the other night was really weird, and then to have the guys bring Wesley into the booth and talk about him even more -- yeesh.  I don't get it.

His jersey was retired before after he passed away. His jersey continued to hang from the rafters when the team was in New Orleans as well. It was only right to re-retire it. His death was a big blow to the team, and its fans at the time. 

Edited by Guest