Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

• 2 weeks later...

I know its still so early in the season and probably won't matter in the long run (my Cavs stink too), but ooooo wee are the Hornets bad right now. Blowing massive leads, not being able to close games, its a mess. Hope they, and the Cavs, can right their respective ships.

Bring back the Bobcats??? :ermm:

^For as long I can remember following this franchise formerly known as the Bobcats struggles with defending perimeter shooting. Doesn't matter who the coach is. Who the players are. They always struggle with that. Last night was a perfect example. They got lit up in that department and it was the difference in the game. The game was a lot closer than the final score indicated. They were within 6 with under 5 to go. Right now it's showing how much they miss MKG's defense. He certainly makes them look less bad when defending perimeter shooting.

You're right about perimeter defense -- I've watched most of their games this year, and it seems like their opponents never miss -- from anywhere.  The Hornets are 6th worst in Opponent FG%, and (surprisingly only) 12th worst in Opp 3pt %.  

Under the basket is a great source of frustration also (and has been for years), where it seems every other team dunks strongly, while Biz, Cody, and sometimes even Al have trouble getting the ball to the rim.  The Hornets are last in the league in Opp FG% under 5 feet, allowing 65.3%, while they are 8th worst in that range for their own shooting, at 56.9%.

Of course shooting 72% from the line (7th worst) hasn't helped this year.  No excuse for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the hornets finally snapped their losing streak; they tried to lose though. They took a sixteen point lead into the fourth quarter and barely won with a buzzer beater.

Still it is nice to see them come out on top of one of these <1 score games they've become so adept at losing.

Edited by cltbwimob

Rumors abound that we are going to unload Stephenson.  Clifford has no faith in the guy and apparently there are murmurings of locker room issues.

I was really excited about adding him to the team, but he has been a disaster since the get-go.  Born Ready?  More like "not ready".  I'm still all in on the Hornets, but what an absolute disappointment this team has been.

Rumors abound that we are going to unload Stephenson.  Clifford has no faith in the guy and apparently there are murmurings of locker room issues.

I was really excited about adding him to the team, but he has been a disaster since the get-go.  Born Ready?  More like "not ready".  I'm still all in on the Hornets, but what an absolute disappointment this team has been.

Hate to say I told you so, but I said this was a bad move from the start.

Hate to say I told you so, but I said this was a bad move from the start.

It was a risk from the get go, hence the team friendly contract he signed. I actually commend the Hornets for taking the risk and trying to make a splash. Charlotte is too often not known for that. There are no shortage of other teams wanting to trade for him. What they need is perimeter shooter... badly. Hopefully they can get that guy as a part of this trade. 

• Like 1

Optimistically speaking: Last 10 games opponents are 138-94 with 6 winning records.  Next 10 games opponents are 106-133 with 2 winning records.  MKG is back.  They have time, but they need to get going.

I agree Lance is not a fit.  

I love Gerald and wish he could be all aggressive all the time.  I actually love Gerald/Big Al/Kemba/Cody/MKG and even Biz because at least he works hard.  I sorta like Marvin, PJ, Neal, and Roberts when they make shots and pretty much not other than that -- ha ha -- need more consistent play.

• Like 1

Yeah I can't hate the ownership for giving it a shot.  I loved that we went for it.  I hope this doesn't make them gun shy in the future.  Stephenson just isn't a premier player.  We thought he might be, he thought he could be.  But it's obvious that he is going to be a decent role player for a team that needs one going forward.  That's about it.

I worry more about the perception of moving Lance so soon to future free agents. I honestly hope that we don't take a mediocre trade over letting this team come together, especially once MKG gets back to normal and Taylor can work his way back into the rotation. With Taylor helping us at the 3 spot (and a shooter), Clifford will have more options in game rotation. However, with the gridlock at the 2 & 3 positions, a good offer for Lance could go a long way.

Adam Silver says a Charlotte All-Star weekend "is inevitable". I'm pulling for 2018 over 2017 for a full-length Blue Line and a more dense skyline for the national publicity. Also, a few shots of the streetcar and the light rail dropping masses of people off at the arena. I'm willing to bet MJ's face will be plastered all over this one haha.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2014/12/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-says-all-star-game-in-charlotte-is-inevitable.html

Edited by MilZ
  • Like 1

Adam Silver says a Charlotte All-Star weekend "is inevitable". I'm pulling for 2018 over 2017 for a full-length Blue Line and a more dense skyline for the national publicity. Also, a few shots of the streetcar and the light rail dropping masses of people off at the arena. I'm willing to bet MJ's face will be plastered all over this one haha.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2014/12/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-says-all-star-game-in-charlotte-is-inevitable.html

The comments on that story... :shok::stop:

Why is it that people on this board actually understand the impacts events like these bring?  The upgrades to the arena are inevitable regardless, getting an All Star game out of the deal is just an amazing consolation prize for the city.  Can't wait for this to happen.  MJ can have his face plastered all over Trade St for all I care, he's still the highest paid (overall) and most recognized athlete of all time (LeBron's catching up.)  Surprised there isn't an Air Jordan/Nike store in one of the arena's retail spots.  Also, Space Jam... that is all.

The Hornets need to reach for the stars and stop aiming for mediocrity.  That only works to occassionally make the playoffs.  I mean, if Cleveland can get LeBron twice...

• Like 1