Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

Before the Stephenson signing, bovada.lv had Hornets at 75:1 to win the championship -- now they are 50:1.  (That also might have moved a little due to Hairston's play in summer league.)

50:1 are 6th best odds in the East behind CHI, IND, MIA, WAS, and NYK.  That sounds about right for the East, and I'd take it ---- but I'm hoping for better.

Don't forget CLE.....they have the best :yahoo::good:

Edited by Jayvee

Before the Stephenson signing, bovada.lv had Hornets at 75:1 to win the championship -- now they are 50:1.  (That also might have moved a little due to Hairston's play in summer league.)

50:1 are 6th best odds in the East behind CHI, IND, MIA, WAS, and NYK.  That sounds about right for the East, and I'd take it ---- but I'm hoping for better.

I can see us being behind all but the Knicks.  The Knicks are going to be a joke again.

^ I suspect they have moved the NYK line in just due to the pure amount of Knicks fans putting money on their team (volume betting).  If you back out what I suspect is a technical, Hornets are more 5th seed, which seems about right.

The crucial thing for the Hornets, is the Southeast is now sort of wide open.  If they can win the Southeast (Washington, Miami, Atlanta, and Orlando), they get a top-4 seed regardless. 

^ I suspect they have moved the NYK line in just due to the pure amount of Knicks fans putting money on their team (volume betting).  If you back out what I suspect is a technical, Hornets are more 5th seed, which seems about right.

The crucial thing for the Hornets, is the Southeast is now sort of wide open.  If they can win the Southeast (Washington, Miami, Atlanta, and Orlando), they get a top-4 seed regardless. 

I think they have a GREAT shot at taking the Southeast. Miami has the 2 most overpaid players in the NBA (Wade will be lucky if he plays half a season, Bosh is a good role player, not a max contract guy), Atlanta and Orlando are decent, Washington is a question mark. Overall I really like Charlotte's chances in the south. Wow, I would love to see a CLT v CLE playoff game somehow, I actually just thought about the possibility of that happening.....awesome.

Edited by Jayvee

Don't forget CLE.....they have the best :yahoo::good:

Oh wow, yeah.  Sort-of a big oversight.  Make that 7th best odds in the East.

I have confidence in Clifford being able to put these pieces together and making something good.  Love that guy.  Totally agree with the assessments and expectations above.  

Edited by grodney

• 3 weeks later...

The Hornets are expected to announce on Tuesday morning that they will submit a formal bid for Charlotte to host the NBA All-Star game in 2017 or 2018. Charlotte last hosted the All-Star game in 1991. 

I think either year would be great. But in 2018 we could show off the true potential of the light rail, and 300 S Tryon will be fully operational :)

Edited by Jayvee

Yea, I agree 2018 would be a better year in terms of showing off the BLE and any new buildings such as 300 South Tryon... On the other hand, 2017 could be quite a big year for Charlotte on the sports front. The PGA Championship will be played at Quail Hollow in August. 

And then there is this today as well...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/08/charlotte-hornets-arena-upgrades-go-before-city.html

Well planed marketing role out... yay we will give you $30 million and then you will have All-Star week..... carrot and the stick just done all flashy and on the up and up :)

Only ONE game in Charlotte against Cleveland, such BS!

I personally look forward to seeing how many less Miami Heat fans show up this year... Normally I would say that Charlotte is missing out on the bump by not having LeBron come to town twice this year, but I think this team will do much better at the box office because they will be a good team again (likely even better) and the Hornets rebrand.

Edited by wend28

I do wish we had more than 2 nationally televised games.  Maybe we can get a good playoff run going this year and earn some exposure for '15-'16.

NBA has flex rules like the NFL does. If Charlotte plays well and a game comes up thats better than another, they can switch it. I am not 100% BUT I think this comes into play after the all star break and is only applicable on one of the networks (TNT, ESPN, ABC) but I can't remember which.

I personally look forward to seeing how many less Miami Heat fans show up this year... Normally I would say that Charlotte is missing out on the bump by not having LeBron come to town twice this year, but I think this team will do much better at the box office because they will be a good team again (likely even better) and the Hornets rebrand.

"Miami Heat fans" that is an oxymoron sir.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11346106/2014-nba-summer-forecast-worst-newcomer

ESPN pundits seem to agree with my earlier sentiments of skepticism towards Stephenson, we will seeeeeeeeee

This is the same ESPN that projected the Hornets to fair better than the Heat this season because of Lance Stephenson. Sorry, but this is a garbage rating in my book. Most of the commenters seems to agree.

• 2 weeks later...

The City recommended moving forward with about $33.5M in improvements to TWCA (keeping the arena up to date was part of the city's agreement when it was built). They'll vote next week on using the existing hotel/rental car tax to pay for it. Among the improvements that I most like: Ripping out a number of those table seats that exist behind one of the basketball goals and adding 600 permanent seats. This will boost official capacity to about 19,600 at the arena. I always hated those table seats and thought they were a wasted luxury. Hopefully they'll buy some more efficient concession workers too. 

• Like 1