Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

Hornets had an awesome come from behind win tonight and they're helping the Cavs, so thanks!! Great win for them and just realized its a very real possibility the Cavs play the Hornets in the playoffs. Who has got season tix they'd sell me for a game :)

The Cavs are the only team in the East that I think would sweep the Hornets in the playoffs.  I think they could get at least one or two wins against Atlanta or Chicago and could possibly even beat Washington/Toronto in a series.  Man it would suck to see us get swept again.

The Cavs are the only team in the East that I think would sweep the Hornets in the playoffs.  I think they could get at least one or two wins against Atlanta or Chicago and could possibly even beat Washington/Toronto in a series.  Man it would suck to see us get swept again.

Twice by Lebron no less ;) but yeah the Cavs are clearly the strongest team in the East right now. But hey, the Hornets are playing solid basketball and as long as Chicago, Washington and Toronto keep losing they are in great shape!! I think the Cavs are a little too far back to be the 1 seed, but 2 is almost a lock. Hornets could settle in that 7 and MAN would I be hyped.

Edited by Jayvee

I thought this team was toast when Kemba, who had been playing the best ball of his NBA career, went down with his knee issue. They've now won 12 of their last 15 and playing great team basketball at the moment. Not to mention they beat the Wizards the last two times they've played in less than a week. Agree that playing Cleveland would be worst case for them in the post season. Still another 2+ months to go, so lots of games to play still. 

Not to mention that the last 3 games before the All Star break are @Sixers and Pacers and Pistons at home, all of those should be pretty winnable games.  It's not out of the picture at all for the Hornets to be 25-27 going into the break.

Heck if it weren't for the 5 or 6 leads we blew early in the season, we could easily have had 30 or more wins going to the all star break.

Edited by CltFlyer

Not to mention that the last 3 games before the All Star break are @Sixers and Pacers and Pistons at home, all of those should be pretty winnable games.  It's not out of the picture at all for the Hornets to be 25-27 going into the break.

Heck if it weren't for the 5 or 6 leads we blew early in the season, we could easily have had 30 or more wins going to the all star break.

If they are 24-28 or 25-27 going into the All-Star break, Hornets are in a great position for the remainder of the season. Though that first game back against OKC won't be easy, most of their difficult games are out of the way. It's not inconceivable for them to be a 5th or 6th seed. 

Edited by wend28

Would be cool to see the Hornets use something like this to enhance the arena experience...

http://www.cnn.com/videos/entertainment/2015/02/05/3d-projection-system-nba-atlanta-hawks-orig-mg.cnn

Not to hype the Cavs anymore but has anyone seen what they do with their court and player intro? It's by far the best in the NBA, I would love for the hornets to do something similar.

Would be cool to see the Hornets use something like this to enhance the arena experience...

http://www.cnn.com/videos/entertainment/2015/02/05/3d-projection-system-nba-atlanta-hawks-orig-mg.cnn

I don't really hate the current Hornets intro to be honest, but that's pretty cool. Wonder if the Hawks also pump artificial crowd noise into the arena like the Falcons do.. 

I do find it funny that the Hawks showed a number of clips with Lakers jerseys in it, LOL. 

Edited by wend28
  • Like 1

Not to hype the Cavs anymore but has anyone seen what they do with their court and player intro? It's by far the best in the NBA, I would love for the hornets to do something similar.

Here is the one since the trades.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/new-cavaliers-intro-video-jan.-30

Similar use of the 3D floor as shown in the Hawks video.  Skip to the end and you'll see Lebron shooting a jumper from outside the arena through the roof and the 3D floor makes it look almost like a meteor crashed through.  That part is pretty cool.

I saw their opener a couple of years back, but not recently.

Marvel in all its glory!! bwahahah

Here is the one since the trades.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/new-cavaliers-intro-video-jan.-30

Similar use of the 3D floor as shown in the Hawks video.  Skip to the end and you'll see Lebron shooting a jumper from outside the arena through the roof and the 3D floor makes it look almost like a meteor crashed through.  That part is pretty cool.

But to remain on topic of the Hornets, this seems like it is becoming very popular in the NBA. It's not too expensive and really adds a lot to the experience, I see the Hornets doing this in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

6 teams (Miami, Brooklyn, Detroit, Indiana, Charlotte and Boston) are all within 2.5 games of each other fighting for the 7th and 8th seed in the East. Charlotte losing 5 in a row is brutal and they just can't afford that right now. Hopefully they pick it back up.

Caveat: Miami will probably fall out of this race losing Bosh for the season.

Edited by Jayvee

• 2 weeks later...

Great win last night. We are now the 7th seed. Lance's +/- last night was +13. It would be the most Lance thing ever to suddenly turn it around in March and start contributing. This team is really starting to gain momentum since the All-Star break and the addition of Mo Williams (great trade!). Kemba Walker is due back next week from knee surgery. March should be fun to watch.

Also, someone should take the Bobcats out of the title of this thread...

• Like 1

Great win last night. We are now the 7th seed. Lance's +/- last night was +13. It would be the most Lance thing ever to suddenly turn it around in March and start contributing. This team is really starting to gain momentum since the All-Star break and the addition of Mo Williams (great trade!). Kemba Walker is due back next week from knee surgery. March should be fun to watch.

Also, someone should take the Bobcats out of the title of this thread...

^This and funny you said that about the title... I was just going to post something about it when I opened the thread

• Like 1

Does anyone know if UNCC/Hornets Sports & Entertainment/Charlotte Sports Foundation have plans to host the Conference USA Basketball tournament at TWC Arena in the future?  

This year's version is in Birmingham, and before that El Paso, Tulsa, and Memphis.  

Yeah it would be 2 weeks or so after CIAA weekend but so what, the occasional NCAA opening weekend or regional final weekend comes our way once in a while like this year.

C-USA doesn't have a long-term contract tying the tourney to any one location, and they seem to hold a vote every spring for the next year's tourney locale.  C-USA's geographic footprint is focused on the South/Southeast so CLT airport works well for getting people to-and-fro.... 

UNCC joined C-USA last year so there may be some waiting involved, or maybe not.

Chime in if you think it would be nice to host it from 2016-2018 before the ACC tourney comes back to town for one year in 2019.

Edited by ChessieCat
  • Like 1