Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

I agree with RD. I think there is going to have to be some serious concessions for this deal to happen. They are combining the #1 and #2 cable companies. Even if there is no overlap they would have such a huge market share by a wide margin. By comparison, American and US Airways got a lot flack but they were the #3 and #5 biggest airlines but the combination made them #1. Comcast would just become that much bigger in it's #1 slot. Glad I have DirecTV though. Prices and service for Cable will just get worse than they are now. That being said, Comcast Arena sounds better than Time Warner Cable Arena to me. 

• 1 month later...

All the conservatives just crap themselves... Collectively

And the comment stupidity has already found itself on that article. It's obvious that nobody actually reads. It's a forecast of what might be needed and how much it may cost down the road. Nothing that will happen this year or next for that matter. But it's automatically assumed the team is asking for money to upgrade the arena. And for anyone that had half a brain or knew the details knows that the DNC was never paying for renovations. They only paid to make changes and bring the arena back to what it was before they made those changes. Apparently they seem to be fine with continuing to dump money into a 60+ year old facility that resides in one of the worst parts of Charlotte. 

Edited by wend28

And the comment stupidity has already found itself on that article. It's obvious that nobody actually reads. It's a forecast of what might be needed and how much it may cost down the road. Nothing that will happen this year or next for that matter. But it's automatically assumed the team is asking for money to upgrade the arena. And for anyone that had half a brain or knew the details knows that the DNC was never paying for renovations. They only paid to make changes and bring the arena back to what it was before they made those changes. Apparently they seem to be fine with continuing to dump money into a 60+ year old facility that resides in one of the worst parts of Charlotte. 

The probably should have waited until after they won a playoff game and signed some additional talent.

The probably should have waited until after they won a playoff game and signed some additional talent.

With those people it's not even worth trying to argue over. They treat it as if money is being directly taken from their paychecks. Agree though, timing could have been better. The improvements IMO, from what I've seen, are reasonable. The arena does a lot more than just host basketball games. It brings lots of great events, especially concerts, that the Bobcats are actually responsible for bringing here, not the the city. 

I'm curious how the luxury suites would be upgraded... I've been to the ones at TWC a handful of time (thanks to knowing a few higher ups at Wells Fargo) and thought they were pretty darn nice. Granted, I haven't been to a suite at Staples Center or Barclays Center so I have no basis for comparison, but would be curious to see what Silver means when he says they need to be upgraded. 

I was talking a buddy of mine while at the Bobcats game last night, and we definitely agree with ripping out some (if not all) those Founders level seats, I believe that's what they are called, and just installing normal seating. It would boost the capacity to more than the current 19,000 and address a need that I think a lot of people complain about with attracting a more regular NCAA tournament visits. Perhaps get a return of the Regional rounds (4 and 5). Also those seats are likely more affordable. Then again, this would also take away a "luxury" that I'm not sure the city and team want to part with. 

Edited by wend28

• 2 weeks later...

Bobcats clinched their 2nd playoff birth in franchise history tonight. They will at worst be a 7th seed. Still have a shot on getting higher. One game behind Washington who they play this Wednesday night. They will own the tie breaker and have inside track to 6th seed if they win. Possible opponent if they get the 6th spot is Toronto who they were 3-0 against this year. Good to have some playoff basketball back in CLT!

• Like 1

Looks like the Bobcats will have the #7 seed and face the Miami Heat in the first round. Was hoping they'd find a way to escape them after winning tonight, but apparently our friends in Boston let us down and the Wizards won (Charlotte would have been #6 if Washington lost). I was at the game tonight against the Bulls and will say it was one of the best games I've been to... The crowd was energetic, loud and into the game the whole time. And the Cats fed off that. Lots of momentum heading into the post season. They'll need a modern miracle to get past the Heat, but don't be surprised if they sneak out a game or two... 

• Like 2

Looks like the Bobcats will have the #7 seed and face the Miami Heat in the first round. Was hoping they'd find a way to escape them after winning tonight, but apparently our friends in Boston let us down and the Wizards won (Charlotte would have been #6 if Washington lost). I was at the game tonight against the Bulls and will say it was one of the best games I've been to... The crowd was energetic, loud and into the game the whole time. And the Cats fed off that. Lots of momentum heading into the post season. They'll need a modern miracle to get past the Heat, but don't be surprised if they sneak out a game or two... 

At the beginning of the season I was looking forward to late April when I could finally call the Charlotte Bobcats the Charlotte Hornets again. Now I pray that day will wait til May/June. #16MoreWins2Go

At the beginning of the season I was looking forward to late April when I could finally call the Charlotte Bobcats the Charlotte Hornets again. Now I pray that day will wait til May/June. #16MoreWins2Go

Yea. This season has been fun. It's nice to actually have meaningful basketball past Tax Day... Not to mention I've already gotten several inquiries about my tix for Game 3 and 4 of the playoffs. Already told them no way :)

Crazier things have happen in playoff basketball, and it has been a great 2nd half of the season, AND very excited for next year. But I think this series will be the end of the road for Charlotte. However, being a Cavs fan, I would give ANYTHING for the heat to lose

I'm right there with ya.  I hope its a tough series and with the Bobcats being a good rebounding/defensive team and the Heat being a poor rebounding team I think Big Al will really shine.  I am hoping it's a tough series similar to Heat/Bulls of recent years.  Actually watching last nights game I think the Rose-less Bulls and the Bobcats are very similarly built.  Great team defense and good chemistry on offense without a real dominate player.  But the momentum of a good playoff series against the defending champs will reinvigorate the city as they move to being the Hornets.  If they make it to the second round or beyond it's all an added bonus in my mind.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, tonight is likely the last Charlotte Bobcats game... forever (since they are changing to the Hornets next year obviously). I was at Game 3 on Saturday night. Obviously not the outcome we wanted against the Heat, but man the electricity in the arena was unbelievable. It was about as loud as I've ever heard it in the Cable Box. 

Well, tonight is likely the last Charlotte Bobcats game... forever (since they are changing to the Hornets next year obviously). I was at Game 3 on Saturday night. Obviously not the outcome we wanted against the Heat, but man the electricity in the arena was unbelievable. It was about as loud as I've ever heard it in the Cable Box. 

RIP Bobcats.  Saturday night was pretty rough.