Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

The fate of the Bobcats, as sealed by the seeding, was so fickle.  They won 8 of their last 9, including beating Washington twice, but still stayed at the 7-seed, finishing a game behind Washington and Brooklyn.  Meanwhile, even though the Pacers were imploding on themselves, Miami didn't care (winning only 4 of their last 10) and finished 2 games back and in the 2 seed.  Obviously, if things happened just a little differently -- either at the top or the bottom -- the Bobcats would have had a much weaker Round 1 opponent (if it was the #1 seed Indiana).

Add to that the untimely injury to Big Al, unquestionably THE star and THE biggest factor, and this is just a sad end to what was a pretty fun season.

The fate of the Bobcats, as sealed by the seeding, was so fickle.  They won 8 of their last 9, including beating Washington twice, but still stayed at the 7-seed, finishing a game behind Washington and Brooklyn.  Meanwhile, even though the Pacers were imploding on themselves, Miami didn't care (winning only 4 of their last 10) and finished 2 games back and in the 2 seed.  Obviously, if things happened just a little differently -- either at the top or the bottom -- the Bobcats would have had a much weaker Round 1 opponent (if it was the #1 seed Indiana).

Add to that the untimely injury to Big Al, unquestionably THE star and THE biggest factor, and this is just a sad end to what was a pretty fun season.

Totally agree. The Bobcats got off to a promising start in Game 1, but once Jefferson injured his foot, he nor the team were the same. Sucks that the season will likely end this way. 

Curse of the Bobcats gets its final laugh.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a lifelong Pistons fan, however, if Jordan ever sells the Hornets, I will be adopting them as my local team. So anyway, when you're watching the draft lottery tonight, keep in mind that if a 9-14 lottery team jumps into the top 3 AND the Pistons don't win a top 3 selection, then the Hornets get the Pistons first round pick. Next year, the Pistons pick is only top 1 protected.

• Like 1

I'm a lifelong Pistons fan, however, if Jordan ever sells the Hornets, I will be adopting them as my local team. So anyway, when you're watching the draft lottery tonight, keep in mind that if a 9-14 lottery team jumps into the top 3 AND the Pistons don't win a top 3 selection, then the Hornets get the Pistons first round pick. Next year, the Pistons pick is only top 1 protected.

Thanks RugbyPike#11 for good luck ;-)

Ouch, well, that's what the Pistons owner gets for being cheap. They could have amnestied Ben Gordon's contract if they wanted the cap space, but instead they gave away that pick in exchange for the Hornets eating the contract.

I like a lot of the new Hornets players, I just don't care for the owner. What's the deal with that mustache he was rocking? Who do y'all like at #9? I'm partial to Stauskas but that might be the homer in me.

I'd love to see them package the #9 and #24 picks with a player for one of the top 3 picks. Even top 5, really.

I still don't think you'd get a top 3 pick for that.

This draft is really deep. I'd rather they just hold onto what they have or trade one first rounder and the second round pick for an established player like Affalo.

It would probably take a lot more than the #24 pick to move into the top 3-4 from #9. To get Parker or Wiggins, assuming the Cavs go Embiid, is probably going to require giving up a player with similar upside.

I could see the Magic giving up

Afflalo for the #9, but I doubt they would consider the #24 pick.

I wonder if the newest generation will like the bobcats. Like 5 & 7 year olds when they're 20 "man I loved me some Bobcats, I had jerseys" etc etc while the rest of us shake our canes saying " if you even remembered the Bobcats, you knew they were a fairly lame team"