Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

On the subject of Lance Stephenson, he came off the bench last night. While at times he did look a little awkward, I will say it's a vast improvement from him starting. I think that's more of his comfort zone. On most nights, with the exception of playing against the Spurs who probably have one of, if not the best bench in the NBA he will excel against a team's backups. 

And yes, that was an awful flop by PJ last night, LOL. I didn't notice it as much at the game, but saw plenty of vines last night and Wow! Despite that, he actually had another solid outing... If he keeps his head on straight, he will be an impact player on the Hornets.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=12176540

Wow I hope this deal goes through. Would be a great move for the team.

Idk, this is the type of knee-jerk trade that most fans talk about, but most real GMs don't do. Trading a newly signed player after only ~20 or so games who was injured during preseason as well. Lamb and Jack are good three-point shooters, but they also put us 4 deep at PG, 3 deep at SG, and then we get a project PF to backup Cody and Biz (yes Biz is filling in decently as at C).

I haven't been a fan of Lance since he's been here, but his stock is probably bottomed-out as is, and I would much rather this undersized team get bigger than have 10 people who play 1-3.

Idk, this is the type of knee-jerk trade that most fans talk about, but most real GMs don't do. Trading a newly signed player after only ~20 or so games who was injured during preseason as well. Lamb and Jack are good three-point shooters, but they also put us 4 deep at PG, 3 deep at SG, and then we get a project PF to backup Cody and Biz (yes Biz is filling in decently as at C).

I haven't been a fan of Lance since he's been here, but his stock is probably bottomed-out as is, and I would much rather this undersized team get bigger than have 10 people who play 1-3.

I'd rather have Lopez!

Per Rick Bonnell, the trade with OKC and Brooklyn that involves Lance is dead... for now. I'm sure talks will pick up again soon though. Sounds like Hornets are ready to move on and I know Brooklyn wants to dump the big salaries (like Lopez's) because they are trying to sell the team. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2015/01/charlotte-hornets-value-soars-to-725-million.html

As if MJ needed more money, the Hornets value is up 77% to $725 mil. Wow are NBA teams grossly overvalued.

I wouldn't totally agree with that statement... They may be overvalued from the average Joe's perspective. But when you look at 1) How much people are willing to pay to own a team, see Steve Ballmer with the Clippers purchase and 2) The amount of money ESPN & Turner pay for the rights to broadcast their games (we're talking billions per year) it's not a stretch. Let's face it, cities and investors will trip over themselves to accommodate professional sports franchises. They'll pay what it takes to get something, even if the amount seems asinine...

I wouldn't totally agree with that statement... They may be overvalued from the average Joe's perspective. But when you look at 1) How much people are willing to pay to own a team, see Steve Ballmer with the Clippers purchase and 2) The amount of money ESPN & Turner pay for the rights to broadcast their games (we're talking billions per year) it's not a stretch. Let's face it, cities and investors will trip over themselves to accommodate professional sports franchises. They'll pay what it takes to get something, even if the amount seems asinine...

Well, Ballmer wanted to own a team and has more money than god so he saw and opportunity and took it. I don't think anyone would say he paid a market value price for that team. And yes, the NBA has an incoming $24 billion TV deal, so I don't think its outrageous these owners pay what they do, because generally its more just to "own" a team more than a money making proposition. Generally these owners are billionaires in their own right, but these valuations are certainly higher than 'true value'.

But for example. The Bulls are valued at $2 billion, yet only made $65 million in profit last year. That is certainly a LOT of profit, but that's 30 years to make a profit on the valuation purchase. (I know this is over simplifying to make a point, but still)

Edited by Jayvee

Well, Ballmer wanted to own a team and has more money than god so he saw and opportunity and took it. I don't think anyone would say he paid a market value price for that team. And yes, the NBA has an incoming $24 billion TV deal, so I don't think its outrageous these owners pay what they do, because generally its more just to "own" a team more than a money making proposition. Generally these owners are billionaires in their own right, but these valuations are certainly higher than 'true value'.

But for example. The Bulls are valued at $2 billion, yet only made $65 million in profit last year. That is certainly a LOT of profit, but that's 30 years to make a profit on the valuation purchase. (I know this is over simplifying to make a point, but still)

Owning a pro sports team is more of a status symbol (not investment) as you alluded to but as with any product, valuation can only be measured in supply/demand.  And for a billionaire, the novelty of owning a team, especially one that tickles your fancy (Mark Cuban), is only a plus.  With so few teams out there and the super wealthy growing exponentially, the valuations for these teams will only increase.

The branding bonus for a city/metro/region is a unique opportunity.  Being able to associate with the "big" boys is probably unrealizable in real economic figures, because the name recognition/exposure is immeasurable in ROI.  Take OKC for instance, kind of a meh town in the plains, not only getting a team but a successful one.  They have probably sold out a majority of their home games to date.

Jordan's in good shape.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--hornets--nets-resume-trade-talks-involving-joe-johnson--lance-stephenson-011452817.html

Not sure I understand the Hornets thinking here:

Cho: "Hey lets get rid of one overpaid, under performing player (plus 2 more), and in return lets get just 1 overpaid, under performing player"

Rest of the board room: "Hey great idea, Rich!"

I'm not sure if this would even go through, and who the heck knows, maybe Joe would fit in here (doubt it), but I think this is a bad call.

Team guy, still a decent player and to take his contract the Hornets would get some assets (likely unprotected or limited protection 1st rounders) from a now terrible Nets team.

C'mon bro as a Cavs fan you just lived through the Chris Grant years of this strategy..

Yeah didn't necessarily work out so well for the Cavs lol. I am not saying this is an absolutely awful move, its just not a very good one.

I think part of this motivation, aside from wanting to move on from Lance, is that Kemba may be out for a period of time with possible knee injury. Hornets need someone that can score in his place. Joe Johnson has been a proven scorer before, though he has struggled some this year. Though I'm not a huge fan of his contract. Definitely a catch 22 type of trade. 

That's debatable.  Trading Baron Davis to the Clips for an unprotected #1 was the pick that got us Kyrie.  Grant's asset collection netted us the ability to trade for Kevin Love, acquire JR Smith, Shumpert and then flip a pick from Memphis along with Griffin's acquired OKC 1st to get Mozgov who has been playing well.

Anywho back to the Hornets...  Joe Johnson is a high character guy who would fit in well with the current starting lineup.  

Good God this city can't catch a break with our sports teams.

Kemba out (I'd wager for the season) for knee surgery

Bismack out at least 11 days

Total bummer... Kemba was on his way to having his best season here. I heard minimum 6 weeks, but like you I'm betting it's for the season. And Biz has been playing out of his mind lately. The injury bug has really hit the Hornets hard this year.

Speaking of MKG, read this earlier today.  I'm still amaz)ed at how he's improved his jump shot this season.  Hope he continues to develop. He could be the next Shawn Marion (all-star SF, lock down defender with an interesting shot)

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/02/05/michael-kidd-gilchrist-hornets-kentucky-shot-voice

• Like 1