Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

Am I missing something?  Why is Bobby Phills being honored?  Why was his jersey retired in the first place, and now re-retired?  He played 5 years with the Cavs and then 3 years here.  Am I missing some great philanthropic story, or something else that would bring this on?  I'm not trying to trample on the guy's grave, but he was stupidly and recklessly going 75mph on Tyvola and crashed and killed himself (luckily only himself and not other innocents).  Right?  The whole ceremony the other night was really weird, and then to have the guys bring Wesley into the booth and talk about him even more -- yeesh.  I don't get it.

The guy made a stupid decision, but he still lost his life.  By all accounts, he appeared to be a good person and was a fan favorite.  Charlotte was a different place back in the late-90's, the news of this event rocked the city to it's core.  He meant a lot to a lot of people.  It's actually one of my first memories after moving here.

Edited by ah59396

By the way, I should have worded that more nicely.  I genuinely didn't understand (and probably won't), and I was looking for some insight.  Sorry for sounding like a *^%$*(.

You don't sound like an ass. Fans that grew up with the storied franchises of the 80s and 90s might not understand, but people that grew up with the Hornets as their team were stunned. Also, its not like Bobby was the only player to get their jerseys retired after an untimely death. Drazen Petrovic only played with the Nets for 3 years, and his jersey is retired. Reggie Lewis was a similar Story. While i understand the aforementioned players died because of on the court incidents, it still is a similar example. All three were players with very bright futures, that were taken from the world at a young age. Bobby Phils was a lock down defender, and a hell of a 6th man, and we was LOVED in the community. 

Hornets broke their losing streak for this season and against the Heat (16 games going back to when LeBron wasn't a member of the team) tonight. Nice W for them and glad to see them get over that hump. I think this game was indicative of what this team can be once they gel together. Lance Stephenson hasn't quite gotten his offensive game going yet, but he continues to be a rebounding machine (13 tonight) and give the Hornets some stops and second change points. Al Jefferson continues his dominance. Another double/double (28 pts/10 rebounds). It will be interesting to see how this team is playing a month from now. Hoping it all comes together. 

Great Win Last Night!

On another note. I watched the New Hornets vs. Old Hornets Game on Tuesday and I have to say... The Pelicans must be hurting for butts in the seats. I have never seen deals like the ones they had. 

Boys Night Out

Each package includes two tickets, four 16oz. beers and we'll throw in two Pelicans t-shirts for FREE!

$44

Pierre Party Pack

Each package includes three tickets, three combo meals and an on-court free throw experience with Pierre the Pelican.

$48

These are just two of the examples, they went on and on and on and they were advertising these deals every single commercial break. They have a young, exciting team with a budding SUPERSTAR, they should be selling out games.

Great Win Last Night!

On another note. I watched the New Hornets vs. Old Hornets Game on Tuesday and I have to say... The Pelicans must be hurting for butts in the seats. I have never seen deals like the ones they had.

Boys Night Out

Each package includes two tickets, four 16oz. beers and we'll throw in two Pelicans t-shirts for FREE!

$44

Pierre Party Pack

Each package includes three tickets, three combo meals and an on-court free throw experience with Pierre the Pelican.

$48

These are just two of the examples, they went on and on and on and they were advertising these deals every single commercial break. They have a young, exciting team with a budding SUPERSTAR, they should be selling out games.

I am not a basketball fan, but now since Hornets are back I keep up with the Horners and plan to attend some games (Not because of the bandwagon, but it's socially fun to me) but did New Orleans like the Hornets brand?

Was it easy for them to switch Hornets to Pelicans with broad fan support?

Watching Anthony Davis is depressing.  I love MKG, but the thought of Davis at PF and Big Al at center?  Twin Towers 2.  Seriously could have started a dynasty for us like it did in San Antonio when they got Tim Duncan.

MKG is going to have a breakout year, so it will make us feel a little better. I think in February we end up trading Henderson and Marvin Williams and a draft pick for a solid stretch 4, lets just hope its not someone stupid.

Edited by Guest

I am not a basketball fan, but now since Hornets are back I keep up with the Horners and plan to attend some games (Not because of the bandwagon, but it's socially fun to me) but did New Orleans like the Hornets brand?

Was it easy for them to switch Hornets to Pelicans with broad fan support?

Interestingly their attendance has dropped significantly from what they were averaging last year. 10%. I'd like to think generally you start off with higher attendance at the beginning then it levels out in the middle, and then ramps up towards the end of the year. Their home opener was abysmal, maybe 10k butts in the seats, with an announced attendance of 14k. 

By the way the Hive is averaging 17,815 so far. Not as good as I'd like but I think it will get better as the hornets start to get much much better. I saw some signs of it last night and at the Knicks vs. Hornets Game.

Edited by Guest

Great Win Last Night!

Boys Night Out

$44

Pierre Party Pack

$48

Yea, I was on Twitter during the Pelicans game and you wouldn't believe the number of people ripping the NoLa fans for not showing up (or maybe you would). Anthony Davis is one of the best young talents out there and you wouldn't know it by the sparse crowds there. I agree with ah, that it's somewhat depressing with "what could have been" but also I think the sky is the limit with MKG. The different between last year and this year is night and day. He now has a jump shot and if healthy, I can see him regularly giving us on average a 15/10 night. He also may have one of the most underrated defensive games in the league. He's all over the court.

Edited by wend28

There was a rumor floating around that the Lakers may try to trade Kobe and Hornets were mentioned as a possible suitor (Knicks being another). Big time long shot though...

Haha adding Kobe and his 30 shots a game to this team would be terrible.

I hope y'all stayed for that!

I would never leave free basketball unless I absolutely had to. It was kind of sad to see how many people were leaving after regulation and the first OT.

Side note: How do you blow a 6 point lead with the shot clock off?

It was good running into you at the game on Friday. Liked your bowtie outfit too.  Damn right I stayed till the end, surreal!

I had that bow tie custom made by my friend at Rhanauer, just for the occasion :-). Counting find a teal and purple plaid bow tie anywhere. :-) 

It was such a great game!