Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

Thanks for the pics.  Some of them rekindle the feeling of awkward design for me though.  For one, the "slate" walls abutting concrete, why bother with the nicer material on the walls then?  And the last pic, not sure what that is but the stone is overused and that building looks like a bunker.  As to the trees, guessing smaller equals much much cheaper.

The trees are probably planted from a city nursery rather than costing money, so it is a shame that they didn't plant the trees earlier.  Certainly there is a higher cost for transporting and planting, but it is still odd that they didn't start w larger caliper trees as they promised in public meetings back in the day.

The concrete walkway is not as desirable as pavers, but I don't see it as a real problem that they have the concrete interspersed with higher quality materials (such as the margins of the sidewalks that have brick, or next to a stone wall).   There are some durability concerns for the walkways and stairs that aren't the same for walls, so I suspect that played a role in the decision.  

I don't really mind too much but more mature trees would make the park feel more... Woodsy and secluded and tucked away and hidden.

These smaller trees would seem to make you feel out in the open and take away the feeling of the park having different sections and making it seem like there is less to explore because you can look over and see everything.

Still love it though!

I don't really mind too much but more mature trees would make the park feel more... Woodsy and secluded and tucked away and hidden.

These smaller trees would seem to make you feel out in the open and take away the feeling of the park having different sections and making it seem like there is less to explore because you can look over and see everything.

Still love it though!

Yep. UNC Charlotte put some very mature trees in around some of the football stadium and it makes a HUGE difference.

The North Entrance has trees that are probably 10+ years old and the rest of the stadiums has much smaller trees. The North Entrance looks way better. From that side of the stadium, someone who hadn't seen the stadium before and didn't know the history might not have any idea that it is brand new. On the other sides, the you can tell it is new because the trees are only a few inches in diameter.

Yeah I was hoping for somewhat larger trees when planted, but even then, I knew it would be at least 10 years or so before this park looks "broken in" and the trees actually start to look natural in that environment. Love the design though and all the little details I've been noticing. 

The smaller trees are the smarter move.  They are a lot more likely to survive the transplant, create a stronger root system, are more easily trained to grow the way you want them to, are much much much cheaper to buy and install, etc...  Larger trees do create a more mature look quicker, but to me that aesthetic is not worth the risks and costs. 

• Like 2

On Sunday ATLRVR and I checked out the Big Apple BBQ Block Party which surrounds Madison Square park on 2 sides, and takes up the entire interior of the park. 

I've gone 4 years in a row (one of my few opportunities to get a taste of home, and this is the first time I thought about it in context of Romare Bearden Park. I really feel that we should move Taste of Charlotte, Blues Brews and BBQ, and other festivals to the streets surrounding the park, and fully utilize the great new park we are going to have.

What would you like to see Romare Bearden Park utilized for?

A friend and I decided to go to Bentley's on 27 for their delicious espresso martini Saturday evening.  This place is always empty, I truly am suprised more people do not utilize the bar with floor to glass ceiling looking west.  We got there around 8pm and watched the sun set.  There were maybe two other couples in the bar.  Absolutely gorgeous, and the drinks are always good!

Anyway, the point of this is that it looks out directly over the park and baseball stadium.  You geat a really good idea of what's going on and the size of the projects, which I must say, make the park feel pretty small.  If anyone ever gets a chance, it is definitely worth checking out.  The place gets a rep for being higher end, which price wise it certainly can be (I never eat dinner there).  But the drinks are reasonable and we go in jeans.  The bar staff is always super friendly.  Go for the view over the park, it really is quite spectacular at sunset.

• Like 1

On Sunday ATLRVR and I checked out the Big Apple BBQ Block Party which surrounds Madison Square park on 2 sides, and takes up the entire interior of the park. 

I've gone 4 years in a row (one of my few opportunities to get a taste of home, and this is the first time I thought about it in context of Romare Bearden Park. I really feel that we should move Taste of Charlotte, Blues Brews and BBQ, and other festivals to the streets surrounding the park, and fully utilize the great new park we are going to have.

What would you like to see Romare Bearden Park utilized for?

From what I understand, Parks&Rec has a very aggressive programming schedule for the park. So on the one hand there will be regular events down there, on the other hand it does make it more difficult for other festivals (including one I'm involved with) to book time there. Either way, it doesn't sound like the park will lack for activity.

No, it isn't raining today.  There are a few trucks, but I don't see any workers on the park, only at the stadium.

weird, doesn't look like its progressed much in two weeks (not that I have seen it in person).