Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

are they serious with those metal benches??? aren't those going to get extremely hot? or did they go for the long term in the sense once the trees fill in it should all be shaded (that would make the most sense??

They are coated so they won't be too bad. Metal Benches in NYC don't get too hot, and believe it or not it gets pretty Freaking hot here.

Romare bearden Parks Facebook is claiming a definite 8-31 opening. Work should really start picking up soon. Hopefully y'all can document it for us outsiders.

Snapped some pics yesterday of the park, loaded to profile, the Church side of the park seems like it can be finished by 8-31, the rest, not seeing it happen.  And the 3rd street side still lacks sidewalks if I remember correctly.

Alright, I'm getting nervous about this thing.  The more "finished" it looks, the more I don't like it.

Too much plain concrete. I'm increasingly disappointed about that. But still I think the stone and brick walls look good as do the gazebo/trellis things (the Church st. side in general is nice really). However nothing is going to make this park look better than age. Its probably going to have that overly new feeling like the Metropolitan > Morehead section of the greenway for a while.  

Too much plain concrete. I'm increasingly disappointed about that. But still I think the stone and brick walls look good as do the gazebo/trellis things (the Church st. side in general is nice really). However nothing is going to make this park look better than age. Its probably going to have that overly new feeling like the Metropolitan > Morehead section of the greenway for a while.  

I just say that it BETTER have the elaborate gardens that are promised, and not look like "the yard that all the neighbors hate" like it currently does. 

Y'all need to calm down  :)

We know it ain't gonna be no Jardin du Luxembourg, and I would also make a bet it's gonna be a very bland looking when it first opens - but by god, we got a freaking new park (of sizeable portions) in Center City that I'm willing to allow time to grow and blossom...

*Ends shaking fists at kids while pulling up pants by suspenders speech*

• Like 2

Snapped some pics yesterday of the park, loaded to profile, the Church side of the park seems like it can be finished by 8-31, the rest, not seeing it happen.  And the 3rd street side still lacks sidewalks if I remember correctly.

Where did you post them?

Apologies, was (and am) having a hell of a time seeing the pics long enough before a broken tag appears to get the links to post.

lol, Neat. I didn't even know that was a thing. Thanks for the pictures. No clue how this thing is going to be open in a month.

OK im changing my tune... I was one of those 4 days ago in the camp no way can this be open for Aug 30th.  I left Monday for business trip and got back after dark yesterday.  Surveying the site this morning i see how they can do this.  Idk if the grass they will plant will be fully rooted to the soil, but thinking they will make it now.  Looks a lot cleaner today... some power washing, few more benches bolted down, the sod, couple odds and ends and good to go.

Edited by navigator319