Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

First major storm will snap those trees like twigs! Gosh so small.  Great ground level pics though! 

Smaller trees have a much better chance of survival than larger transplanted trees do. 

• Like 2

Maybe I am missing it in the future plans, but I sure hope they aren't only planting standard shrubs and trees that can be seen at any commercial landscape in the suburbs.  I would like to see flower beds and more unique plants.   I guess I will need to withhold judgment until the work is done.

• Like 1

Maybe I am missing it in the future plans, but I sure hope they aren't only planting standard shrubs and trees that can be seen at any commercial landscape in the suburbs.  I would like to see flower beds and more unique plants.   I guess I will need to withhold judgment until the work is done.

Agreed 100%. But I image the heartier plants are going in now, and the flowers and such will go in closer to the actual event.

I have my hopes set for something akin to Chicago's Millennium Park Lurie Gardens: http://www.luriegarden.org/about-lurie-garden

I have a serious crush with that entire park...it has a nice mix of everything.

Ditto, was thinking of botanical gardens and flowers, I don't think that can't be done at some point though.  I will take this opportunity to throw a dig in for my favorite, Japanese maples and pear trees.  Surrounded by rich beds of vibrant colors.

Someone above said the grass looked more like Bermuda???  Please god no, unfortunately, the one clear picture above is a bit on the light side, which from my time in Texas is a dead giveaway for Bermuda  To the grass men, what kind is it?

Right now I just want the park to open and I don't give a fig if the greenery it is astroturf and some potted plants from WalMart for starting.  The plants of a park are not like the beams of a building and can/probably will change...

I really think there is way too much hand wringing in this thread about types of grass and tree sizes for a park not even opened yet let alone have a chance to bloom.

• Like 1

Right now I just want the park to open and I don't give a fig if the greenery it is astroturf and some potted plants from WalMart for starting.  The plants of a park are not like the beams of a building and can/probably will change...

I really think there is way too much hand wringing in this thread about types of grass and tree sizes for a park not even opened yet let alone have a chance to bloom.

I agree, I realize that the park will take years to evolve. Its just nice to wish for it to be "Now Now Now"

Hardly Central Park in size, but there is no doubt that this park will be transformative and will attract cool outdoor events as well as provide an outdoor space for families and for visitors to enjoy our beautiful city. I'm so psyched to enjoy this space before strolling over to watch a ball game. We finally have outdoor space. So sweet!

Edited by Munson79
  • Like 2

The Observer has a few more aerial-ish shots of Romare Bearden. You can see BB&T Ballpark and the Childress-Klein apartment tower construction in some of the shots as well. Gives a good perspective about how much this area has changed in the last 18+ months.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/08/13/4234664/romare-bearden-park-081313.html

Today's update:

20130819_100210_zps5fa28c8c.jpg

Okay guys, I'll admit it, this is looking pretty freaking great! As this park ages and matures its just going to get better too! Wow! I'm sure flowers will be coming soon. I find it hard to believe that the two surface lots in the picture will stay empty for very long.

Edited by Guest

I gotta say, the photos aren't doing the park justice. Walked along church and the new plantings are varied and beautiful. All the new stone work looks great. I'm really sorry I won't be here labor day weekend for the grand opening, this park is really going to be a wonderful asset for uptown and Charlotte!