Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

Grand opening Jun 14, right?

romare20130416a_zpsc0fd2567.jpg

romare20130416b_zps949a09d2.jpg

romare20130416c_zps2381d072.jpg

Woah!!!! Its looking like a park! I really don't think the red clay on this side of the park is long for this world. I'm so excited! I'll be there on Saturday!

Edited by Guest

I flew in from the city on Saturday to go to a party at Bentleys on 27. The glare was horrendous, but the park looked amazing! 

IMG_2153-1_zps514ea47e.jpg

I also stayed at the hyatt house (which was actually great) and got a horrific sunburn at Triple C. I can say I'm very proud of my hometown, we are growing in all the right ways.

Yeah the Church side is looking pretty close but the big moon green side near the stadium still has a lot of dirt to move into steps/tiers and some hard construction of the "ballpark plaza" area hasn't even begun. The "evocative spine", the main walking path, doesn't look like its reached this half of the park yet, so I'm betting we can expect a slightly postponed opening.

Yeah the Church side is looking pretty close but the big moon green side near the stadium still has a lot of dirt to move into steps/tiers and some hard construction of the "ballpark plaza" area hasn't even begun. The "evocative spine", the main walking path, doesn't look like its reached this half of the park yet, so I'm betting we can expect a slightly postponed opening.

I wouldn't doubt if they opened it in phases. Thats what they do with parks up here.

I wouldn't doubt if they opened it in phases. Thats what they do with parks up here.

I don't see that happening...the delineation would be a bit awkward, with the main green space being the unfinished portion, and put quite the damper on the big grand opening that everyone is expecting. I'm sure they can still hit a summer opening with everything completed as planned, just maybe not June. 

I went and checked out the Mint St. side of the park yesterday and its progressed a lot farther than I thought it had. The steps leading up to the big moon green are done, and it doesn't look like there is much stone work left to do, although I couldn't see the "evocative spine" walking path, and I think they are building another gazebo type structure for the "baseball plaza" near Mint/MLK.

N9wSzVU.jpg

dGQ927L.jpg

Wow, I feel like an idiot now   :wacko:

All this time I thought it was Romane Bearden, not Romare Bearden. I literally have been saying/spelling his name like that for years. I'm really surprised that I haven't been called out previously by someone or noticed the difference in spelling somewhere else. I think my brain has been incorrectly auto-correcting what I've been reading for years. But sure enough, it's Romare. You all are correct. Damn, I feel enlightened now.

• Like 1

Wow, I feel like an idiot now   :wacko:

All this time I thought it was Romane Bearden, not Romare Bearden. I literally have been saying/spelling his name like that for years. I'm really surprised that I haven't been called out previously by someone or noticed the difference in spelling somewhere else. I think my brain has been incorrectly auto-correcting what I've been reading for years. But sure enough, it's Romare. You all are correct. Damn, I feel enlightened now.

I almost thought you were talking about Romaine Lettuce! It is amazing how our eyes will auto-correct words for us.....or misspell words for us.

Oh btw, I have hit 1,000 posts and am now officially a Burg!

• Like 2

Wow, I feel like an idiot now :wacko:

I read this post at least 10 times before I saw the difference between Romare and Romane, damn r's and n's look so much alike, so I give you a pass this time... This time...

It's crazy...even though I don't know any of you personally, I feel like we are all friends on this board since I read your posts so often so I wouldn't take too much offense even if you somewhat offensively called me out completely on that mistake. But that of course wasn't the case. Nice little online community we have here. Thanks for letting me off the hook on this one...

Edited by ScottCLT
  • Like 1

It's crazy...even though I don't know any of you personally, I feel like we are all friends on this board since I read your posts so often so I wouldn't take too much offense even if you somewhat offensively called me out completely on that mistake. But that of course wasn't the case. Nice little online community we have here. Thanks for letting me off the hook on this one...

Interestingly enough my wife and I always refer to Union Square as "Onion Square" 100% jokingly, so maybe I'll call it Romaine Lettuce Park from now on :-P.