Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

Serving overseas for the better part of the last year I haven't been able to see home and all the construction and improvements.  I'm very appreciative to all for the picture updates as this is probably the project I'm the most stoked for!  Keep 'em comin and thanks!!  Hopefully this will help give Latta Arcade enough traffic to stay open reasonable hours now,  not the typical uptown hours.  

Well I convinced my girlfriend to take a drive and snap a couple pics of the progress.. it's a little dark but hey its street level!

WOW! Its even more exciting to see this thing from street level! From high up its a little tough to figure out.

Really nice job that they're doing with the stone and brick work. I'm glad they went with a kind of randomized variety of shades, it will help avoid that overly new look. I wonder what size the trees will be when planted? As nice as this park is going to be, it will look much better in 20+ years when those trees have grown up. 

• Like 1

I guess, just thinking of impermeable barrier, for which bricks better (slightly), which of course led me to a staggered brick/pebble arrangement to allow water into the ground even more, guess that would be more maintenance as grass/weed seeds took root.  Or 'seed' with moss...  :)  I'll shut up now.

I guess, just thinking of impermeable barrier, for which bricks better (slightly), which of course led me to a staggered brick/pebble arrangement to allow water into the ground even more, guess that would be more maintenance as grass/weed seeds took root.  Or 'seed' with moss...   :)  I'll shut up now.

My guess is that the brick is laid on concrete and is purely aesthetic in nature. Walkways with that much traffic aren't going to be on sand/gravel bed.

More a condition of soil movement over time. It can certainly add some nice character and charm, but I'll be damned if some of the sidewalks in old parks aren't borderline dangerous. Erosion, tree roots, etc can wreak havoc on paths that have to be safe for young, old, strollers, wheelchairs, etc. 

(Imagine taking a wheelchair through 4th ward park)

Don't get me wrong, I love open grid paving. I wish it was used far more in the US, it could really prevent a lot of flooding and heat island issues. And they may have done it like that for the park construction. It's just a guess that long term maintenance and durability issues led to a concrete underlayment.

• Like 1

^ Here's another angle from google earth including the bb&t site... Hard to believe all the changes coming in this frame alone

I remember people posting old pics and postcards of Charlotte before urban renewal. I am curious to see if there are some pics of this angle of the city from that time period. Not just for nostalgia but maybe what for what uptown could look like when these lots get developed.